What's going on at #swfc?

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

When asked about if the players were lacking motivation Jos "You'll have to ask them"

This comment is more concerning for me, why would he answer in this way?

Does he think they lack motivation because they are too comfortable with their huge pay and/or understandably no longer believe they can be truly competitive at the right end of the table?

Is all the financial stuff causing a lack of motivation as they don't see any mid-to-long term future at the club?

Do they lack belief in what the manager is trying to do with what he has to work with?

Regardless of what the cause of motivational issues is, as the manager it is his responsibility to be able to motivate the team to at least believe they can get results on a game-by-game basis and he should be confident enough in his ability to state that he doesn't have a problem in being able to motivate his players.

7 minutes ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

I would assume that the players who are out of contract next summer probably have a good idea they aren't having their contracts renewed.Its hardly a good motivation for them.Maybe DC has already confirmed this with the EFL as the wages saved on these players would be huge.I think DC would take losing a transfer fee just to save on wages.At the moment i think I'd get a more honest answer from a politicIan than JL or DC.

As professional players, it's still within their interest to secure a contract elsewhere, and the better they perform the more they can demand.

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He's clearly cheesed off with them

This reply puts the onus right on them and the ball right in their court

Maybe, I'm just concerned that the lack of belief from some of them in what he is trying to do in terms of approach will override any positive response he is hoping that this might elicit.

6 minutes ago, bobness said:

As professional players, it's still within their interest to secure a contract elsewhere, and the better they perform the more they can demand.

I once worked for a company and we heard the company was closing.We knew we were getting finished.You still try and do your best but the mindset of knowing you are getting moved on means even unintentionally you don't put in 100%.

7 hours ago, terryowl said:

Clearly the players don't rate him and want him OUT, so do I.

Bottom 3 after Saturday.

Where as that been quoted. Or ayou one of these itk'ers. Throwaway comments just don't help anything or anyone do they. 

Gonna be a big next 10 days for both the Club and the fanbase imo.

In that time we have 3 home games and the window finally shuts.

6 Championship points, a decent performance in the Cup and a couple of good loan signings and we will once again be setting sail for the prem on HMSPTL. DC, Jos and the players will get the backing of the fans and can finally pull it all together and with renewed momentum execute on their plans.

1 point or less, a pasting in the Cup and no loan signings and a full on sheetstorm could be on. Where do we go from this scenario? Do we just plod on and accept another failed season? Does DC just tell us to put up and shut up? Does DC sell up and move on? Sack Jos? This could potentially see us completely fragmented and potentially fighting for our lives in the Championship.

Either way, gonna be interesting I reckon.

19 minutes ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

I once worked for a company and we heard the company was closing.We knew we were getting finished.You still try and do your best but the mindset of knowing you are getting moved on means even unintentionally you don't put in 100%.

Good point which might become an issue but I'm not sure that not putting 100% in has been the problem in our 3 league games, which is why I find the potential lack of motivation comment a bit surprising and concerning.

The effort was certainly there as the game went on against Hull. At Brentford were were 2nd best but competitive in the 1st half and only behind due to a daftly conceded penalty. 2nd half we had too many youngsters and our most experienced defender had a poor game, we were overwhelmed but not sure it was because we downed tools. At Wigan we showed good fight to come back against them twice but poor tactics and poor defending cost us more than a lack of effort. 

I've seen plenty of spells where some of our players could fairly be accused of not at least giving their all but not sure this is the case at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

6 Championship points, a decent performance in the Cup and a couple of good loan signings and we will once again be setting sail for the prem on HMSPTL. DC, Jos and the players will get the backing of the fans and can finally pull it all together and with renewed momentum execute on their plans.

I'm really  looking  forward to our first "papering over the cracks" quote of the new season when we next get beaten after a few good results and enter the next phase of hysterical negativity.

54 minutes ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

I would assume that the players who are out of contract next summer probably have a good idea they aren't having their contracts renewed.Its hardly a good motivation for them.Maybe DC has already confirmed this with the EFL as the wages saved on these players would be huge.I think DC would take losing a transfer fee just to save on wages.At the moment i think I'd get a more honest answer from a politicIan than JL or DC.

This is spot on.

I would guess one or two have been told they can leave (Westwood Jones Abdi) but clearlycan not get same money or anywhere near it elsewhere. Think some will also have been told if stay on worse terms than currently, pay as you plat deals.

Many will realise be nigh on impossible to get contract they want anywhere and probably know it.

Onr or two players were notably slower than last season.

45 minutes ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

Your mind naturally drifts to the future and what happens next. Think its similar situation due to numbers involved.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He hasn't made wholesale changes but he has had a full pre-season to get his formation and team as he wants it (with what he has available). To have changed formation within the first 3 league games is not a good sign and defensive changes are generally not made as regularly as attacking ones unless they are enforced. We have had 3 different players at LB/LWB and also different combinations in central defence. To me that is a sign of panic when the changes are not due to injury - you would expect a little more persistence with what has been worked on in the build up to the season if this wasn't the case.

Hasn't he played 5-3-2 bar the final half hour at Wigan and the Brentford game after he was forced to swap Matias for Reach (doubt he'd have played the latter wide right like Matias did against Brentford).

Or am I massively wrong with this? Y'all will have far more idea on formation changes than me to be fair. 

But for all the criticisms that could be levied at Jos; changing formation too frequently, a negative approach... one that doesn't seem fair is unnecessarily changing players. Purely IMO tho

2 hours ago, BRADDO said:

Oh dear. This isn't going to end well is it. Expect more first team, experienced players to mowing the lawn on matchdays 

When your manager comes out and says that , there clearly is no hope for him.