What's going on at #swfc?

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

He was being pressed on lack of wins, performances, and player motivation

Ps - today Jos was very needled by Andy Giddings (who I thought put forward his best ever set of questions and did really well)

Needles most Wednesday managers he’s interviewed IMO? He’d never go for Wilder in the same way :biggrin:

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Where was the misquote?

He said he ‘will keep it for me and for my team, of course’

I think sharing it with the team makes a big difference i.e. that’s basically what managers do. If you think that’s an insignificant detail then fair enough.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Jos just now on why the team aren't winning like they were last season - "I know the reasons on this moment, and I'll keep it for me, and to my team of course and it helps nobody if I said it here"

He probably need to check his answer is the same as the chairmans before telling everyone else. lol

Just now, Wednesday_Jack said:

Thank god other people see what I see...spot on pal.

One thing with the happy clapper section that really really frustrates me is that they only accept that something is wrong when its literally disaster time and the process is irreversible!! all this "give it time" and "lets see what happens"...get a grip and look at the what's happening here and now.

After every game we get the same old same old....its only one game or "we could have won" hahahaha. its Laughable!!! Anyone with an ounce of sense can see there are some major problems at Hillsborough at the moment and looking at player reactions in games and on social media its clear there is a lack of faith in what Jos and his men are trying to do. Bannan is a very clever footballer and its come to something when he's having to rant at the manager to see what his plans are, what is all that about? Them players should be going out onto the pitch with the instruction and requirements of the manager, that's what he gets paid for FFS!! That's not a new concept for football, for any employee in any job you work under the direction of a manager.

We have got two homes games coming up that we should be taking 6 points from...will it happen?? I think we will get 2 maximum, possibly even 1, against Ipswich!!

When you look at the first 5/6 fixtures we should have had a flying start, there was only Brentford that the majority thought we would struggle to get anything out of the game simply because its a tough place to go and it will be for the majority of teams this season. All the other fixtures were/are winnable but we simply look void of ideas, void of confidence and the players looking more and more frustrated as every game goes by. Come Saturday at 5pm Hillsborough will be an horrible place to be.

DC got it wrong by not accepting Carlos's resignation and strung the saga out way longer than it ever should done, he then appoints this Jos bloke who looks even less capable!! The team is only as good as the manager (Cardiff are a prime example)...when Carlos went DC should have done what ever was necessary to get an experienced championship manager in to move the club forward with the limited resources we have available because the squad that is currently in place is good enough to push towards the top 10. Stick with Jos and we are looking at bottom 5 - 6!!!

Well said mate.......

Jos just now on why the team aren't winning like they were last season - "I know the reasons on this moment, and I'll keep it for me, and to my team of course and it helps nobody if I said it here"

Chairman spunked all his cash into the hands of a clown manager who signed anyone who became available regardless of whether we needed a player i their preferred position or not.

No money is available to bring in players who I want to play in the system that I want to play.

Ive inherited an ageing squad that has more injuries than an old peoples home.

We have a small handful of decent players, some aren't pulling their weight.

None of the players are 'winners'.

Not sure he would stay in a job if he blurted it out.

I would say, that this statement is intimating that morale in the squad is really low, 1) due to the clubs problems at the minute, and 2) certain players being left out of the team. All of these things can cause low moral, it happens in a normal place of work, not just football clubs.

I honestly don't think that this is Jos's fault, it's what's going on behind the scenes that is causing all this, and I don't think Jos is leaving Westwood and Jones out because he thinks that's the right thing to do, I think he's had his orders...... I could be wrong, but this is in keeping with how players have been treated by the club in the recent past. A recurring theme, if you like.

How I feel about Jos's management skills? A different question of course, but he is p***ing in the wind at the moment, so I'll give him that for now, but he has got to motivate the players somehow...

Edited by The Italian Stallion

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Fair does though it is a pretty alarming comment 

It's alarming because people are reading into what they want.

He's far better off having fans making things up than opening himself for hammer from all sides with a loose comment.

He hasn't actually said anything bad for my money.

In fact I'd go as far as to say if any of it sounds odd in anyway it's because he's going out of his way not to say something which can be edited to suit and packaged into massive, negative headlines. Which it would.

Drama sells. Drama feeds the internet.

We all know which version of this mock article would get more clicks.

1391731587_JOSONE.thumb.png.d260da36e20a0f919fe661f4cf2c67a2.png

1130669191_jostwo.thumb.png.3c2694b6425f2ce2b0b37900ab791064.png

Thats just how it is.  And why I am never surprised than any manager talks in riddles during the weekly farce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Hodgyowl said:

KING HENRY V:
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews , summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips ,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!

That's very good, did you write it?

• Haha 1

Much overthinking on this thread.

We ALWAYS START SEASONS BADLY.  Ever since the year dot.  And every season it comes as this great crushing crisis and we are going to melt down.We have been relegated, in my lifetime, 4 times.  roughly once every 10 years on average.  We always start like this, even in good seasons.  Why?  I have no idea.  I've seen us not score for the first 5 games under Tricky and finish 7th.  I've seen us lose our first 6 games and finish 5 places above the bottom 3 under Laws.   We won one game all season in December under Jones and survived with plenty to spare.

Jos will get a tune out of these kids, we'll put a run together as we did only a few months ago and we'll be fine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's alarming because people are reading into what they want.

He's far better off having fans making things up than opening himself for hammer from all sides with a loose comment.

He hasn't actually said anything bad for my money.

In fact I'd go as far as to say if any of it sounds odd in anyway it's because he's going out of his way not to say something which can be edited to suit and packaged into massive, negative headlines. Which it would.

Drama sells. Drama feeds the internet.

We all know which version of this mock article would get more clicks.

1391731587_JOSONE.thumb.png.d260da36e20a0f919fe661f4cf2c67a2.png

1130669191_jostwo.thumb.png.3c2694b6425f2ce2b0b37900ab791064.png

Thats just how it is.  And why I am never surprised than any manager talks in riddles during the weekly farce.

Winston Churchill on the Sheffield Star in 1939

"I cannot forecast to you the action of the Sheffield Star. It is a riddlewrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is the Sheffield Star's local interest

My interpretation of what he meant was " it wouldn't do any good if i were to call certain players 10 kinds of a flange in a press conference"

Tomorrow will demonstrate who is in charge

2 hours ago, Beholder said:

In a way I feel for the guy. 

You can't win in a presser, whatever answer you give is the wrong answer when you aren't winning. 

On the other hand I'm a bit bemused by his team selections and am wondering why senior players are being omitted and frozen out. 

If we're to assume it's not because of ability (KW in particular) there are only 2 people who would stop them from playing. 

DC had a history of preventing players from being picked when he's fallen out with them.

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Thank god other people see what I see...spot on pal.

One thing with the happy clapper section that really really frustrates me is that they only accept that something is wrong when its literally disaster time and the process is irreversible!! all this "give it time" and "lets see what happens"...get a grip and look at the what's happening here and now.

After every game we get the same old same old....its only one game or "we could have won" hahahaha. its Laughable!!! Anyone with an ounce of sense can see there are some major problems at Hillsborough at the moment and looking at player reactions in games and on social media its clear there is a lack of faith in what Jos and his men are trying to do. Bannan is a very clever footballer and its come to something when he's having to rant at the manager to see what his plans are, what is all that about? Them players should be going out onto the pitch with the instruction and requirements of the manager, that's what he gets paid for FFS!! That's not a new concept for football, for any employee in any job you work under the direction of a manager.

We have got two homes games coming up that we should be taking 6 points from...will it happen?? I think we will get 2 maximum, possibly even 1, against Ipswich!!

When you look at the first 5/6 fixtures we should have had a flying start, there was only Brentford that the majority thought we would struggle to get anything out of the game simply because its a tough place to go and it will be for the majority of teams this season. All the other fixtures were/are winnable but we simply look void of ideas, void of confidence and the players looking more and more frustrated as every game goes by. Come Saturday at 5pm Hillsborough will be an horrible place to be.

DC got it wrong by not accepting Carlos's resignation and strung the saga out way longer than it ever should done, he then appoints this Jos bloke who looks even less capable!! The team is only as good as the manager (Cardiff are a prime example)...when Carlos went DC should have done what ever was necessary to get an experienced championship manager in to move the club forward with the limited resources we have available because the squad that is currently in place is good enough to push towards the top 10. Stick with Jos and we are looking at bottom 5 - 6!!!

Really good post and very true that you start with the appointment of the right manager

its no coincidence that our best managers were all no nonsense types ie Jack Charlton Howard Wilkinson and latterly Ron Atkinson although that is now 25ish years ago - sad really 

i know things have moved on but we need a straight talking motivator who knows this league. A good manager also has invaluable contacts can be fluid with tactics and attracts decent players .....if you were a player would you want to come to us 

However ..... we will eventually get another manager that no one has ever heard of and who we sack after having “given them a chance”

I would even go so far as to say we will never get a decent manager whilst DC is in charge - we are happy to spaff money on over the hill players but not get the right manager in 

10 minutes ago, stevenbrookseyowl said:

Really good post and very true that you start with the appointment of the right manager

its no coincidence that our best managers were all no nonsense types ie Jack Charlton Howard Wilkinson and latterly Ron Atkinson although that is now 25ish years ago - sad really 

i know things have moved on but we need a straight talking motivator who knows this league. A good manager also has invaluable contacts can be fluid with tactics and attracts decent players .....if you were a player would you want to come to us 

However ..... we will eventually get another manager that no one has ever heard of and who we sack after having “given them a chance”

I would even go so far as to say we will never get a decent manager whilst DC is in charge - we are happy to spaff money on over the hill players but not get the right manager in 

Agree with what your saying but as a club we are not in a position to be giving chances to unknowns...it’s only a week or so ago that DC stated it’s this season or bust!!

1 minute ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Agree with what your saying but as a club we are not in a position to be giving chances to unknowns...it’s only a week or so ago that DC stated it’s this season or bust!!

Even the most ardent optimist will appreciate it's going to be bust. There isn't a hope in hell we are going to be anywhere near the promotion places. 

18 minutes ago, emersonthome said:

9 pages and counting off the back of a complete non statement in a press conference...

It's a big story God damnit!

If it wasn't, then what's the point of these pre-match press conference eh? To talk about the match or something?

• Haha 2