Promoting youth players too soon.

Not really he had to look beyond his favourites as they were injured. So do you play a youngster with potential but little or no experience of first team football or play one of several players available with lots of Championship experience and being paid lots. It’s no choice when you think about it.

1 minute ago, David Somni Jennings said:

Not so much a case of throwing in the towel, more a case that somehow we need to restrict spending for two or three years, and the best way to do that while still being competitive in the league is to find young hungry players for free - We have several already here at the club, they just need to gain first team football experience. I can't think of a better place to gain it than at a tough level with the liked of Bannan by their side

I agree, but we have enough seasoned talent, to mount a promotion challenge. The squad is unbalanced, but that can be remedied by shrewd use of the loan market. All clubs do it, we need to. 

One of the issues I have with the current batch of youngsters, not many of those youngsters address our real shortcomings 

Where I’d be happy to see them used, is, as back up, in place of some of our squad players who are no longer of the required standard. Other than the keepers, none are ready to hold down a regular first team place.

8 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Hold on nobody was on their backs at all, you can support players all you want but they just aren’t ready and playing them will leave us in all sorts of trouble, we haven’t been unlucky so far our position reflects our standard. 

The fact that there is a thread on here saying they aren’t good enough, after some of them have played a total of 45 minutes first team football, suggests that people are on their backs?

can't remember whether it was the rather famous  Bill Shankley, or the late Sr Mat Busby ( of the famous 'Babes')who once said 'If they're good enough, they're old enough' Look at some of the top players at the recent World Cup who were only around 20/21.

Let the lads have their chance and GIVE THEM SUPPORT, NOT CONSTANT CRITICISM  

Face it, we are not going to be playing Premiership football for a while  yet.

• Like 1

If it's a ready-made team you want, that is what every National Manager has been after  since International Football began. And very few have managed that yet. And they don't have to pay transfer fees, sky-high wages, etc. Face it, we're not there. Give the ladsa chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Being on  their backs is shouting them down at matches , it is not stating the obvious truth on a forum which ironically is used to air opinions which is the fact they aren’t ready,  anyone with eyeballs can see they are not ready for this level.  

Name me one game where the young players have been given grief on the pitch? 

Brentford...a couple of morons giving Dawson some grief....first after he didn't save the penalty and then after he'd saved a 1 on 1.

It’s crazy, people are getting carried away here Some of these lads may have a chance of making it, eventually, but other than the two keepers, none are good enough for a regular spot. What’s happened, Clare who was head and shoulders above this lot, was deemed by most, not ready for regular Championship football, and rightly so. Now people think it’s a good thing to have three or four of the youngsters in the side. It is if they are good enough, clearly they are not, well yet anyway

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I replied in a post a couple of weeks ago, saying that we, the fans, need to show some patience with the young players this season.

It is obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that we are not going up this season, and maybe not next too, but if we are going to go down the route of playing young players, weather they are ours or bought in, will take time to build a team good enough to either go up or to have any resale value, through coaching.

We have tried to buy our way in the game, too often for my taste, only to finish up in a financial mess, year after year, after year, after year and so on.

I do not know if Jos is the man or not, but he IS the man of the moment until DC decides other wise.

Who will follow is any ones guess, but I can guarantee this, it will not please every fan of the club.

When I said last season that I was looking forward to the young players being given a chance, I hadn't expected them to be thrown into the fray so soon, in such numbers, and without Hirst and Clare.

I anticipated that we'd hang on to our better prospects and that the young kids would be integrated carefully and without so much pressure to perform which may have a detrimental impact on their development.

As you'd expect at a well run club.

4 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

I replied in a post a couple of weeks ago, saying that we, the fans, need to show some patience with the young players this season.

It is obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that we are not going up this season, and maybe not next too, but if we are going to go down the route of playing young players, weather they are ours or bought in, will take time to build a team good enough to either go up or to have any resale value, through coaching.

We have tried to buy our way in the game, too often for my taste, only to finish up in a financial mess, year after year, after year, after year and so on.

I do not know if Jos is the man or not, but he IS the man of the moment until DC decides other wise.

Who will follow is any ones guess, but I can guarantee this, it will not please every fan of the club.

The way ahead may well be different to what we have experienced these past three  years, and in principle, I’m all for developing our own players. They have to be good enough to earn a place in the side though, and it’s obvious most of these are not yet at that stage. The other thing is, you have to blend them in one or two at a time. The Championship is an unforgiving league, and overexposing youngsters who aren’t up to it, will soon see us in big trouble

2 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

When I said last season that I was looking forward to the young players being given a chance, I hadn't expected them to be thrown into the fray so soon, in such numbers, and without Hirst and Clare.

I anticipated that we'd hang on to our better prospects and that the young kids would be integrated carefully and without so much pressure to perform which may have a detrimental impact on their development.

It's character building

2 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Call up soon for Semen  Seaman.

7 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Being on  their backs is shouting them down at matches , it is not stating the obvious truth on a forum which ironically is used to air opinions which is the fact they aren’t ready,  anyone with eyeballs can see they are not ready for this level.  

Name me one game where the young players have been given grief on the pitch? 

You are talking about 18-20 year olds, it's highly likely they are readers of these type of forums, and seeing a thread like this come up could impact their confidence.

People are talking as though these 'kids' are 17/18 and in the Under 18's.  They are not. Baker is nearly 22.  Thorniley is nearly 22.  O'Grady is coming up 21, Dawson is 23, Stobbs is 21, Nielsen and Penney are 20. Clare was 21 when he made his debut. Preston and Jack Lee are 20 later this year.  Only Hunt who was 18 a couple of months ago and the same with Borukov are what I would call 'kids'.  The others should really be starting to be ready for first team football and could have been a while ago.  Like somebody else has said players in the World Cup were as young and younger than these and that includes some of England's.

• Like 1

Too many are being put in too soon ,the step up is  enormous from under 23's to the first team ,the young ones need blooding gradually  instead of being thrown in at the deep end as ours have been ,that said if others had pulled their weight then the youngsters might not have been needed so early and could have been bought on  better ,but then again we do not know the reasons why the experienced players are being left out and are replacing the first team players and  we can only guess at that scenario