Fletch

On 11/08/2018 at 20:49, Blatter said:

Have to say there would be absolute hell on here if Nuhiu had missed half the chances Fletcher contrived to miss today.

Fletchers otherwise good performance was totally wasted.

Nuhiu in his current form would have won us the game today.

Nuhiu wouldn't have missed those chances

Hed have been no where near the box to even attempt them

If Fletcher scores those goals on Saturday he's played like a £30million forward.....if he stays fit he'll back 20 for us this season 

• Haha 2

On 11/08/2018 at 20:44, owler66 said:

Had a good game but missed three good chances which if they'd gone in would've made us all feel better 

Indeed . they were the only blots on his copy book .. 3 guilt edged chances that dare I say, Nuhiu would have buried at least 1 if not 2 of those chances ....

On 11/08/2018 at 20:59, s8owl75 said:

He had a good game and looked dangerous. Always does. Shame about the finishing today. All the strikers will have a role to play this year. Ironically at times today he could have done with another striker alongside him FF played too wide for me. 

Should have had Matias on a lot earlier to play with Fletch and Forestieri. At home especially that is how we need to play with 3 up top 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

If Fletcher scores those goals on Saturday he's played like a £30million forward.....if he stays fit he'll back 20 for us this season 

Oh dear oh dear. With Fletcher its all 'ifs and 'buts'. With Nuhiu it 'is' and he 'has'. 20 goals my backside. Give me Nuhiu any day with current performances. Someone actually said, Fletcher played well but cost us 3 points. What a contradictive statement.

4 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Oh dear oh dear. With Fletcher its all 'ifs and 'buts'. With Nuhiu it 'is' and he 'has'. 20 goals my backside. Give me Nuhiu any day with current performances. Someone actually said, Fletcher played well but cost us 3 points. What a contradictive statement.

Think also some leeway has to be given to Fletcher given that hes not played since November 2017. 

Takes time to get rid of the rustiness. Nuhiu missed some absolutely guilt edged chances under CC when he was in and out of the side, given 5 minutes here and there and not able to get any consistent game time. Didnt he go 40+ games without a goal?

Given time (fitness permitting) im sure Fletcher's level would be that notch higher than Nuhiu.

That said, in the league, Nuhiu still to start for me at the moment given all of the above and Nuhiu's performances since JL came in. 

Then up to Fletcher to make his case and take his chance when he gets it. 

Fletch did well.. and another game or two will give him the sharpness back to bury those chances. Don't forget, we didnt really want to start him today, he wasn't quite ready, but needs were that he had to play.

As for a front 3.. Nando and Nuhiu playing off Fletch seems a good thing to try for me. The space that both Fletch and Nuhiu make is huge. Both together is just downright scary.

On 11/08/2018 at 21:06, Watson said:

Sorry mate he's a professional footballer and as a striker, he failed today to do his job of scoring goals, the chances he failed to take were routine and should have been put away.  

ok, so..

#1 is possible to play well and not score goals.. even as a striker. as numerous people have said, fletch's all round play was good. he made space, bought people into play and had a good game. to me, to reduce all strikers to "but did he score?" is a bit silly a juvenile as a view of football. it's simply not that black and white.

#2 the demand that he put away the chances just ignores the context. he wasn't supposed to start. Nuhiu got himself suspended and joao had a knock.. so we had to turn to fletch without him having had enough game time to get sharp. turns out he needs another game or two to find his edge, and that's absolutely no surprise to anyone who is paying attention to the context surrounding him playing.

#3 in your post just before the quoted one you say it was bizarre that anyone clapped him. really? a player who isn't fit comes in, clearly puts a shift in, tries his best, is gutted to have missed chances.. undoubtedly tried his best and did his best on the day.. and you're against clapping him. 10/10 for being a fan.

so there ya go. that's why in my opinion you earned a neg.

feel free to follow up and maybe earn a +.. who knows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cookeh said:

ok, so..

#1 is possible to play well and not score goals.. even as a striker. as numerous people have said, fletch's all round play was good. he made space, bought people into play and had a good game. to me, to reduce all strikers to "but did he score?" is a bit silly a juvenile as a view of football. it's simply not that black and white.

#2 the demand that he put away the chances just ignores the context. he wasn't supposed to start. Nuhiu got himself suspended and joao had a knock.. so we had to turn to fletch without him having had enough game time to get sharp. turns out he needs another game or two to find his edge, and that's absolutely no surprise to anyone who is paying attention to the context surrounding him playing.

#3 in your post just before the quoted one you say it was bizarre that anyone clapped him. really? a player who isn't fit comes in, clearly puts a shift in, tries his best, is gutted to have missed chances.. undoubtedly tried his best and did his best on the day.. and you're against clapping him. 10/10 for being a fan.

so there ya go. that's why in my opinion you earned a neg.

feel free to follow up and maybe earn a +.. who knows.

Agree with most of what you say, but the fact remains he should have scored at the very least one goal. He is a very experienced player and by the reactions, he gave after missing the chances I presume he knew he should have scored.  In my opinion, he didn't try his best if he had tried just that bit more he would have scored.

Just now, Watson said:

In my opinion, he didn't try his best if he had tried just that bit more he would have scored.

Well we can just agree to disagree then.

For me, if he wasn't trying he wouldn't have screamed and head his head after he missed the first header, nor laid facedown in the turf for a minute after the 2nd. If you don't care and you miss, you don't react like that.

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

Well we can just agree to disagree then.

For me, if he wasn't trying he wouldn't have screamed and head his head after he missed the first header, nor laid facedown in the turf for a minute after the 2nd. If you don't care and you miss, you don't react like that.

You could well be right.  But he should have scored no excuses sometimes, and I would think he knows that as well. 

1 hour ago, dani_armo said:

Fletcher in front of Nuhiu every time for me. Nuhiu was pathetic at Wigan rounded off by a defeat and a red card

When Joao is fit its between Fletcher and him to play with FF....then if Hooper comes back happy days

absolutely bang on bud

On 11/08/2018 at 21:06, Holmowl said:

Fletcher shouldn’t play 30 seconds in the cup game. Cotton-wool.

Strictly reserves only Thursday. We are threadbare!!!!

Threadbare in terms of quality yes.

Otherwise we only have Hooper and K Lee missing don;t we?

On 11/08/2018 at 21:06, Holmowl said:

Fletcher shouldn’t play 30 seconds in the cup game. Cotton-wool.

Strictly reserves only Thursday. We are threadbare!!!!

Probably want..

Matias - Borukov - Nuhiu

Boyd - Jones - Reach - Palmer

van Aken - Thorniley - J.Lee

Wildsmith

Keeps all the vital parts away from danger. Inexperienced, but still enough quality to get the job done. Nando, Bannan and Lees on the bench just in case.

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Yeh right ! His mediocre goals return throughout his career suggests otherwise . 30 grand a week should be burying them 

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Oh yeah....and when did he ever score 20 in a season, and when did he ever stay fit for a whole season.

Have to say Fletcher has many attributes but finishing and a good fitness record are not among them..

Nuhiu on the other hand is scoring at the 20 goal/ season rate since the arrival of Jos and has stayed fit throughout his time here.

To my mind we have two forward pairings that really work together. Hooper and Fletcher work well together when both are fit, with Hooper being the finisher, and Fletcher providing the knock downs and service.

Then Nuhiu and Joao together. In both cases Forestieri needs to be behind them.

2 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Think also some leeway has to be given to Fletcher given that hes not played since November 2017. 

Takes time to get rid of the rustiness. Nuhiu missed some absolutely guilt edged chances under CC when he was in and out of the side, given 5 minutes here and there and not able to get any consistent game time. Didnt he go 40+ games without a goal?

Given time (fitness permitting) im sure Fletcher's level would be that notch higher than Nuhiu.

That said, in the league, Nuhiu still to start for me at the moment given all of the above and Nuhiu's performances since JL came in. 

Then up to Fletcher to make his case and take his chance when he gets it. 

Nuhiu was given the opportunity to stake a claim as a starter in that side and took it with both hands.  The stats back this up 100%., and he as caarfried on where he left off last season.  Enough said. Not too fussed about what he did under CC  its what he as been doing under the currennt manager what really counts  JL as given the yound uns more confidence in blooding these who all in all have taken their chances very well. The same can be said about Joao. One or two on here dont like the fact Nuhiu is the main striker at the club at this present time. Christ, if Nuhiu had missed those chances that fell to Fletcher there would have been a total meltdown on here. The problem with Fletcher and quite possibly the same with Hooper, its the inevitability of them being injured at some point or points during the season.