#SWFC News | Sheffield Wednesday: Owls confirm they are under transfer embargo

The squad as it stands is well capable of a top half finish. The manager needs to find the correct system that suits the players we have. Chansiri will have to learn not to spend money like a kid in a sweetshop. This season could be tough but not as bad as some are predicting. Jos will have to earn his wage but also needs to put square pegs in square holes not ridiculous decisions like Sam Hutchinson at inside right. This season is in his hands as no money is available. 

3 hours ago, striker said:

As I understand EFL changed dates with no warning, hence the surprise element. 

The bad guys here are the EFL imposing a ridiculous arbitrary limit, we have an owner who is prepared to spend money (as he has proved) but isnt allowed to. The club are trying to do things in the right way and work with EFL to find a solution, DC wants to extend contracts and bring in new players but is being prevented by EFL.

Perhaps the rules are as much to protect people out of their depth  as much as they are to protect clubs ( and make sure they are still there when the plaything has gone south).

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I thought that the club record signing of Jordan Rhodes was ill-advised all along. If anything we already had too many established players at that position and even a promising youngster who might have come into consideration under different circumstances. As it turned out, Rhodes eventually plummeted to the bottom of the list due to his consistently poor performances and is now at a different club.

But as foolish as it was at the time, how much more stupid does it look now? Even back then we needed reinforcements in central defence, central midfield, full back and winger, and that was before we lost several players along the way. The gaps in the squad have only widened since. Just think what we might have done with the circa £8m transfer fee and the commensurate salary that went along with it? Wisely spent (yeah, I know) we could have mounted a play-off challenge this season with a bit of luck. Precious little prospect of that now though.

I don’t think anyone expected Rhodes to be as ineffectual as he has been and we might yet make some money back on him if he does well at Norwich. I think the general consensus was that he could stick the chances we’d been missing away and was worth getting if we thought it affordable. Obviously it hasn’t been, but I see the issue as more a cumulative set of bad decisions and I think the following are worse in that they either didn’t address any identified need, or did, but didn’t play.

- Jones, no re sale value, very similar to the lightweight midfield we already had when we needed aggression.

- Emmanuelson....

- Fox - I think he’s ok and had development potential but just made no sense as he didn’t fit the style we played.

- Mcmanaman, Mcgeady, Buckley probably had 15 games between them. 

-Lachman - never even played 

- Wiggins - just seemed odd out of all the ones we could’ve got.

- Matias - quite like him but even despite injuries was bombed out after a formation change. 

- Sogou - bet he wasn’t cheap.

I bet if we added the cumulative cost of these up they would be a decent chunk and there were definitely cheaper and better options with a bit of research. 

Even the abdi disaster made sense at the time but I was scratching my head on the above. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I thought that the club record signing of Jordan Rhodes was ill-advised all along. If anything we already had too many established players at that position and even a promising youngster who might have come into consideration under different circumstances. As it turned out, Rhodes eventually plummeted to the bottom of the list due to his consistently poor performances and is now at a different club.

But as foolish as it was at the time, how much more stupid does it look now? Even back then we needed reinforcements in central defence, central midfield, full back and winger, and that was before we lost several players along the way. The gaps in the squad have only widened since. Just think what we might have done with the circa £8m transfer fee and the commensurate salary that went along with it? Wisely spent (yeah, I know) we could have mounted a play-off challenge this season with a bit of luck. Precious little prospect of that now though.

You have to think positive about the future though DJM. If he starts firing for Norwich, we get him back, or sell him to them, or someone else. He's still an asset & the way prices are going we might even get more than we paid. Madine went for £6m. Just compare the two.

My concern is the comments about us having serious problems if we don't go up. If that is the case we need to take action now to safeguard the future of the club because I can't see us getting promotion,  about a 1 in 10 chance. 

If we can't sell the dead wood which we obviously can't because they would be gone already if it was possible, then the only option is to sell some of the ones who will find a buyer. If it is a player or players or the future of the club I'd protect the future of the club.

1 minute ago, The only way is S6 said:

You have to think positive about the future though DJM. If he starts firing for Norwich, we get him back, or sell him to them, or someone else. He's still an asset & the way prices are going we might even get more than we paid. Madine went for £6m. Just compare the two.

Well, yes, that would be the ideal situation. But the likelihood of that is receding fast.

Regardless, I stand by my opinion. The Rhodes transfer took us to the edge of the P&S precipice even though there were well known weaknesses elsewhere in the squad that now loom very large. Even if he'd played reasonably well, it would still have been dumb.

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

My concern is the comments about us having serious problems if we don't go up. If that is the case we need to take action now to safeguard the future of the club because I can't see us getting promotion,  about a 1 in 10 chance. 

If we can't sell the dead wood which we obviously can't because they would be gone already if it was possible, then the only option is to sell some of the ones who will find a buyer. If it is a player or players or the future of the club I'd protect the future of the club.

The general principle is sensible enough, but where would we be if we sold two of Lees, Bannan and Forestieri in the next couple of days? At a stroke, we'd be counting on there being 3 teams weaker than us.

Edited by DJMortimer

It seems odd that Birmingham exceeded the limit but they have now been granted permission to sign players (cheap loan or Free) and have actual signed two on loan today and can sign 6 in total

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/02/birmingham-city-face-punishment-despite-lifting-transfer-embargo/

Will the Owls be give the same permission?

Why haven't the EFL commented on our embargo situation?

They have commented on the situation at Birmingham, who were put under a soft embargo in July, 3 months after we were put under one in April. 

I find it odd that DC is saying nothing can be said about it, due to the EFL, yet they've openly discussed that they are working with Birmingham to resolve the issue. 

Guest mkowl
52 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

It seems odd that Birmingham exceeded the limit but they have now been granted permission to sign players (cheap loan or Free) and have actual signed two on loan today and can sign 6 in total

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/02/birmingham-city-face-punishment-despite-lifting-transfer-embargo/

Will the Owls be give the same permission?

Is this just for a provisional month though ?

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

The general principle is sensible enough, but where would we be if we sold two of Lees, Bannan and Forestieri in the next couple of days? At a stroke, we'd be counting on there being 3 teams weaker than us.

If we had a top-notch scouting network, then selling Bannan and Forestieri, re-investing the majority of the money (I'm assuming / hoping within P&S rules?) in a replacement central midfielder and defensive reinforcements would actually reassure me that those in charge of our club have a coherent plan as to how to get us out of this mess.

As things stand, we might as well hang on to them for another season...

We were losing 5 million a year under Mandaric with a wage bill less than half the size, I think we all know the plan was promotion in 2-3 seasons, it didn't happen and now we need to take our medicine.

I really don't like that we are not allowed to renew contracts, i'm thinking of Bannan and Joao who could fetch 10 million+, and we could lose them for nothing, how is that a fair punishment for a club who has broken financial rules!? the rules are supposed to stop clubs going bust are they not?

2 minutes ago, dobbo said:

We were losing 5 million a year under Mandaric with a wage bill less than half the size, I think we all know the plan was promotion in 2-3 seasons, it didn't happen and now we need to take our medicine.

I really don't like that we are not allowed to renew contracts, i'm thinking of Bannan and Joao who could fetch 10 million+, and we could lose them for nothing, how is that a fair punishment for a club who has broken financial rules!? the rules are supposed to stop clubs going bust are they not?

They are yes

That's why it's wise to stick to them

That way you don't end up risking the club potentially losing your players because your'e not allowed to extend their contracts whilst under embargo etc

Owlstalk Shop