#SWFC News | Sheffield Wednesday: Owls confirm they are under transfer embargo

6 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Horrible reading it being confirmed. Terrible that DC has let us get in to this position. 

The worst thing about all this is the dodgy advisers who are laughing all the way to the bank.

Edited by Big Jack

34 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

They are spending less. Full stop.

Of course, otherwise we'd have no hope of escaping this embargo any time soon.

That's not what the survey asked, though.

Rightly or wrongly (I favour the latter), we seem to be trying to inch our way out of the embargo by releasing or loaning out bit-part players of recent times such as Loovens, Wallace and Rhodes or selling an average Championship player in Hunt. If the result of that fans survey were being ignored, we'd be flogging the majority of Forestieri, Fletcher, Bannan, Lees, and João and massively trimming the wage bill.

Personally, I reckon it's going to take some serious wheeling and dealing rather than simply reordering the deck chairs on the Titanic, but to claim that the survey was used as a way to sell more season tickets is wrong in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Horrible reading it being confirmed. Terrible that DC has let us get in to this position. 

hes been very naieve with his spending, although we all enjoyed it while it was happening.  Its the powers that be that have screwed us [& the other bigger championship clubs] over by introducing these stupid rules.  Theyre doing all they can to ringfence the premier league

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Of course, otherwise we'd have no hope of escaping this embargo any time soon.

That's not what the survey asked, though.

Rightly or wrongly (I favour the latter), we seem to be trying to inch our way out of the embargo by releasing or loaning out bit-part players of recent times such as Loovens, Wallace and Rhodes or selling an average Championship player in Hunt. If the result of that fans survey were being ignored, we'd be flogging the majority of Forestieri, Fletcher, Bannan, Lees, and João and massively trimming the wage bill.

Personally, I reckon it's going to take some serious wheeling and dealing rather than simply reordering the deck chairs on the Titanic, but to claim that the survey was used as a way to sell more season tickets is wrong in my opinion.

I’ve got a bottle of snake oil here you might want to buy.

:carlos:

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

The survey meant nothing.  Chansiri wouldn't have done anything different whatever the survey said.

It was designed as a fig-leaf so Chansiri could say 'look, the fans WANT me to put prices up even further'...

I've got a feeling he was hoping we'd go for the cheaper prices option.

37 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

Literally everything in the world costs more tomorrow than it does today, including football players and their wages as well as associated fees. Now add to the fact the squad is weaker due to loans and key players being sold off. 

You can if you really want, continue to believe that we are undergoing 'continued investment' however, what's really happening is we have cut costs, sold key assets and continue to pay the contracts still in place as per legal obligations. 

This whole 'continued investment' is actually completely pointless anyway, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things, the situation is what it is and it needs addressing with positivity and a solid strategy. The cold hard facts are that there have been lies and deceit seeping out of the club, from the top down. That is of way more importance than an interpretation of words. 

I know staff at the club who hate this guy and detest what he has done to the club they have loved working at for years. This goes beyond bad PR, blaming fans, poor transfer policy and 'naivety' this is down to one man's character and ego. First and foremost he needs to show the paying fans that he can be humble. Nothing i'm hearing says that is ever going to happen. 

Milk's cheaper.

1 minute ago, The only way is S6 said:

I got the impression it was somebody after FF, who had tried before. In fact, I'm sure it was, thinking back. They wouldn't pay what DC wanted so were prepared to wait to get him for nowt. Naughty. Unless he extends his deal with us when it's up of course.

Isn't Forestieri under contract for another couple of years, though?

I can't see that he'd be leaving for free next summer.

3 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

I got the impression it was somebody after FF, who had tried before. In fact, I'm sure it was, thinking back. They wouldn't pay what DC wanted so were prepared to wait to get him for nowt. Naughty. Unless he extends his deal with us when it's up of course.

Nando has two years on his contract, so they ain't getting him on a free next summer. 

What is the situation with contract renewals then? 

From what I understand, we can't renew anyone's deal until those contracts are about to expire? 

Hence, why Adthe and Pudil were offered new deals? 

I thought that the club record signing of Jordan Rhodes was ill-advised all along. If anything we already had too many established players at that position and even a promising youngster who might have come into consideration under different circumstances. As it turned out, Rhodes eventually plummeted to the bottom of the list due to his consistently poor performances and is now at a different club.

But as foolish as it was at the time, how much more stupid does it look now? Even back then we needed reinforcements in central defence, central midfield, full back and winger, and that was before we lost several players along the way. The gaps in the squad have only widened since. Just think what we might have done with the circa £8m transfer fee and the commensurate salary that went along with it? Wisely spent (yeah, I know) we could have mounted a play-off challenge this season with a bit of luck. Precious little prospect of that now though.

22 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

His deal doesn’t run out next summer