#SWFC News | Sheffield Wednesday: Owls confirm they are under transfer embargo

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

It sounds like downsizing to get under P&S limits to me.

If continuing investment at a similar level is downsizing you are correct.

Then again ..............................................................

Guest Hillsborough Mole
25 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The survey didn't mention bringing more top players in; it mentioned continued investment at a similar level.

Given that we were already straining at the limits of what's allowed under P&S, keeping the vast majority of our best players whilst trying to get ourselves out of the embargo would seem to constitute continued investment at a similar level, to be fair.

I wonder what the combined investment in Loovens, Venancio Wallace, Kean, Hirst, Clare, Hunt and Rhodes was

Edited by Hillsborough Mole

6 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

If continuing investment at a similar level is downsizing you are correct.

Then again ..............................................................

I don't see how trying to reduce the wage bill by getting rid of players   -Wallace, Loovens, Hunt, Venancio, Rhodes maybe Westwood and maybe even more - is "continuing investment at a similar level". Looks like cutting to me.  

What a way to round off a truly dreadful summer for this club.

First time ever in our 151 year history that we’ve been under a transfer embargo.

A fanbase divided and many long-standing fans feeling alienated and apathetic.

But we got into the playoffs a few seasons ago, so you can’t criticise the way the club is being run apparently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Plonk said:

So it’s now August. We’ve been on an embargo at least four months and still no communication from the club unless you were there last night. Starting to get really pissed off with the lack of clarity from the club.  I’ve wasted most of my summer waiting for news that was never going to come. 

Read my posts mate posted at the beginning of the summer that there wouldn't be any signings.:biggrin:  Watson's posts fact-checked :biggrin:

Guest Theboylangers
4 minutes ago, The Captain said:

First time ever in our 151 year history that we’ve been under a transfer embargo.

But we got into the playoffs a few seasons ago, so you can’t criticise the way the club is being run apparently.

Someone will be along to defend the embargo soon, no doubt. 

Edited by Theboylangers

1 minute ago, The Captain said:

Bert McGees transfer embargoes were legendary much to the frustration of Big Jack.

We still got promoted and made a profit under his stewardship.

11 minutes ago, The Captain said:

We were under 2 temporary transfer embargos in 2010.

Article from last time.

4 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Of course, you can criticise the club no one can stop you, you can even be nasty about it should you so desire.

Some fans and Club owners would prefer that it is constructive criticism and without the nastiness.

If you believe that unfair criticism and nastiness is required then fill your boots.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I wonder what the combined investment in Loovens, Wallace, Kean, Hirst, Clare, Hunt and Rhodes was

We were investing at the very limits of what's allowed; since we're under embargo, we clearly still are.

I'd much rather lose those players than many of our key players, which has been avoided so far.

I assume we'll need to sell someone for a decent fee to try and bring some new players in in the foreseeable future, but the chairman's clearly not trying to cut the levels of investment, otherwise we'd have flogged Forestieri, Bannan, João, Lees etc. long before now.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We were investing at the very limits of what's allowed; since we're under embargo, we clearly still are.

I'd much rather lose those players than many of our key players, which has been avoided so far.

I assume we'll need to sell someone for a decent fee to try and bring some new players in in the foreseeable future, but the chairman's clearly not trying to cut the levels of investment, otherwise we'd have flogged Forestieri, Bannan, João, Lees etc. long before now.

No

we were investing at well OVER the limits. Irresponsibly

3 minutes ago, The Batman said:

We were under 2 temporary transfer embargos in 2010.

Article from last time.

Never knew that.  Interesting.

3 minutes ago, Watson said:

Of course, you can criticise the club no one can stop you, you can even be nasty about it should you so desire.

Some fans and Club owners would prefer that it is constructive criticism and without the nastiness.

If you believe that unfair criticism and nastiness is required then fill your boots.

There’s no need to be nasty about the situation.  It’s only football.

I would certainly be in the camp that prefers constructive and fair criticism/debate.

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

but the chairman's clearly not trying to cut the levels of investment,

If we are getting rid of players and not replacing them I don't see how that can possibly be true. We are trying to cut costs. We are reducing the size of the pool of experienced players. Even twisting words I don't see how what you are saying can possibly be true.

12 minutes ago, Watson said:

There's no need to be nasty or unfair. It's hard to deny that it's a bit of a shambles. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

There's no need to be nasty or unfair. It's hard to deny that it's a bit of a shambles. 

^^ sounds nasty to me

Its down to perception

There's only one  person to blame for the current situation, the person that controls the money. He decided to go for it and would have profited if we had been promoted. He was reckless and gambled and lost. He decided to keep Carlos when many wanted a change. Say what you like DC is the boss and the buck stops there