On my way back/player ratings

17 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Agree, Jos should have changed thing early in the first half, tactics made it so easy for wign, if we coukd see it why not Jos. Wasnt if they were going to stop running at us. Today could have been a really embarasing scoreline 3.2 flattered us.

When the CHs are exposed and the ball’s falling to unmarked players in our box you have to look at the organisation.  I’ve no doubt he’ll get it right but even with the players in the pitch we could have done better. 

2 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Last 30 mins was excellent. Only don't get a point from that from awful finishing.

It's not great of course, but not as bad as the bedwetters are making out.

I agree its not as bad as some are making out, I wouldnt got as far as excellent the first hour we were poor, but i would say we were the better side in the last 30 even though they hit the bar and had a dissallowed goal.

This came when the change in shape happened with JVA off and Hutch dropping into a back 3. He gave us some snap in the tackle and pressured their forwards which is far more than JVA had done up to that point.

Positive performances from FF and Bannan did ok if not spectacular, Joao looked lively when he came on and Fletcher won plenty in the air and chucked himself about in his 10 minute cameo which doesnt sound like a lot but was lacking until the hour mark. 

Negatives JVA looked all over the shop, i know he is still coming back to form after a long injury but he was way off the pace and was haphazard at best today. There is a player in there but he needs a real talker and experienced leader alongside him and Lees in that bsck 3. Palmer i'm not going to stick the knife in but was as bad as people have been saying. Lastly the set up of the team from Jos, the players looked like they hadnt got a clue what was going on and they looked uncomfortable at best up until 60 mins and the change in shape and players.

Plenty of food for thought going into next week. 

The original post is spot on with comments and sentiment. The only thing I can disagree with is that Palmer was a poor 3 not a 4. 

Wigan were  not a good team (5 debutants playing today), but it was Wednesday who looked disjointed and ill organised at the back, a proper farce. Palmer was repeated shown to be the poor player he is at right back and van Atkin looked over awed.

We were out fought in midfield, light weight and often knocked off the ball. They were solid down the middle, with their 2 centre backs unruffled and their 2 central midfielders playing it simple and hard. Their main threat 17 (scored 2) simply ran off his marker too easily throughout. 

Their two full backs were average at best, but we never really exploited that fully. Theirs was a simple game plan, work it out wide asap and get the crosses into our box quickly, especially down their right, with mostly back post crosses (deep) to test Palmers non existent heading ability. Based on that game, its going to be a long season I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Dawson 4

Palmer 4

Lees 6

Van Aken 3

Pudil 4

Reach 4

Pelupessy 5

Bannan 5

Hutchinson 4

Forestieri 5

Nuhiu 4

We could have snatched a draw if Reach had decided to pull the trigger rather than bottling it and leaving it to the clearly offside Fletcher, but it truth we barely deserved a point.

Positives are that it wasn't quite as bad as Preston last year, and we did look threatening when Joao came on and the Wigan defenders realised they'd have to do some defending, but Wigan are no great shakes.

Thought Nuhiu's second yellow was harsh - he just went up for a header - but it had been coming as he was losing his rag.

We've got big big problems at the back. We've got two keepers with a lot of potential, but losing Westwood will be a huge blow. He's a cut above.

Onto the back five, and I could be a while. Palmer is simply not good enough. We've known it for years, we've known it all pre-season. 

Wigan pinpointed him as our weak link and took full advantage. Depressing that we can't remedy it - there's no-one else to come in.

Tom Lees is a central defender and needs to play there - not right sided CB. 

Van Aken was appalling, couldn't win a header, a tackle or make a pass. 

Pudil might be this season's Loovens i'm afraid, it was painful how slow he was at times.

God knows what the plan was with Sam Hutchinson today. Until he dropped back to CB he was playing as a false 9. Utterly bizarre. Get him back in defence alongside Lees. 

Pelupessy works his socks off but i'm not sure if he's any better than Semedo.

Reach looks lost at LWB - which is strange as you'd think that was his ideal position. Looked sluggish all season and carried it on today.

At least we have the option to put Boyd there and move Reach into the middle - we don't have that 'luxury' on the right.

Bannan was his usual busy self, but there were a few misplaced passes, including the one that led to their third goal. 

Forestieri was off it and looked dejected until Joao came on and we had a bit of pace up top.

All in all another disjointed performance where we were lacking in pace and strength - attributes Wigan had bundles of. 

At least we did give it a go at times, coming out of Deepdale last year felt infinitely worse.

Going forward, I think we can and will improve, but only if we change certain things - i.e Lees at CB, Hutchinson at RCB and maybe Reach back in the middle. 

Hooper and Kieran Lee returning wouldnt be a bad thing either...

Good post,, very fair reflection on the game.

Its truly baffling how our defence was CLEARLY our weakest area last season and we've addressed that by SELLING one of the best RB's in the league, not replaced our captain(Loovens was past it anyway but his leadership was so valuable)  and about to sell the best GK in the league....and Jos thinks that will improve our defence??

The biggest concern is after the first game of the season teams are already well aware of our weak points, Palmers overall poor defensive play, Pudil's severe lack of pace and Van Aken is far too soft/prone to a howler....lets not even mention the fact we're about to sell the best GK in the division to a direct rival and replace him with one of two GKs yet to play 30 career games.

2 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Dawson 4

Palmer 4

Lees 6

Van Aken 3

Pudil 4

Reach 4

Pelupessy 5

Bannan 5

Hutchinson 4

Forestieri 5

Nuhiu 4

We could have snatched a draw if Reach had decided to pull the trigger rather than bottling it and leaving it to the clearly offside Fletcher, but it truth we barely deserved a point.

Positives are that it wasn't quite as bad as Preston last year, and we did look threatening when Joao came on and the Wigan defenders realised they'd have to do some defending, but Wigan are no great shakes.

Thought Nuhiu's second yellow was harsh - he just went up for a header - but it had been coming as he was losing his rag.

We've got big big problems at the back. We've got two keepers with a lot of potential, but losing Westwood will be a huge blow. He's a cut above.

Onto the back five, and I could be a while. Palmer is simply not good enough. We've known it for years, we've known it all pre-season. 

Wigan pinpointed him as our weak link and took full advantage. Depressing that we can't remedy it - there's no-one else to come in.

Pudil might be this season's Loovens i'm afraid, it was painful how slow he was at times.

God knows what the plan was with Sam Hutchinson today. Until he dropped back to CB he was playing as a false 9. Utterly bizarre. Get him back in defence alongside Lees. 

Reach looks lost at LWB - which is strange as you'd think that was his ideal position. Looked sluggish all season and carried it on today.

At least we have the option to put Boyd there and move Reach into the middle - we don't have that 'luxury' on the right.

Bannan was his usual busy self, but there were a few misplaced passes, including the one that led to their third goal. 

Forestieri was off it and looked dejected until Joao came on and we had a bit of pace up top.

All in all another disjointed performance where we were lacking in pace and strength - attributes Wigan had bundles of. 

At least we did give it a go at times, coming out of Deepdale last year felt infinitely worse.

Going forward, I think we can and will improve, but only if we change certain things - i.e Lees at CB, Hutchinson at RCB and maybe Reach back in the middle. 

For the first time ever I think I agree with most of what you say .......... also they played at a tempo higher than us ..... UTO

• Like 1

I did not go but watched on TV. It was not good but the rayings are lower than I would give but can understand as folks upset. I actually think when a player is really shockingit can put undue pressure on other players. Think this happened today. Reach was good going forward and created first goal.

It was much better than last seasons opener.

16 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

The worrying thing is that this isnt far off our strongest team with a couple of exceptions, and that there was no bedding in of new players required.

We have had weeks to work on this game with these players.

very,very true

18 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

The worrying thing is that this isnt far off our strongest team with a couple of exceptions, and that there was no bedding in of new players required.

We have had weeks to work on this game with these players.

Cheer up lads, we've got Fox and Jones waiting in the wings.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Good post,, very fair reflection on the game.

Its truly baffling how our defence was CLEARLY our weakest area last season and we've addressed that by SELLING one of the best RB's in the league, not replaced our captain(Loovens was past it anyway but his leadership was so valuable)  and about to sell the best GK in the league....and Jos thinks that will improve our defence??

Whens he said that about an improvement in the defence?

4 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Dawson 4

Palmer 4

Lees 6

Van Aken 3

Pudil 4

Reach 4

Pelupessy 5

Bannan 5

Hutchinson 4

Forestieri 5

Nuhiu 4

Bang on the money.. that’s how I saw it.. Wigan got round the back of us every time they attacked. Sometimes we had  7 defenders and no one stopping the crosses or 2nd balls.. baffling having Bannan and joey as defensive midfielders.. the 3 didn’t work. When hutch went to cb it improved.. we could have nicked a draw..But Wigan should have been out of sight could easily have been 6-2

5 hours ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

Basically Jos hasn't got a clue 

I dont get How a bloke who has always played 4-2-3-1, changes to 3-5-2, when we have three options for the target man in Joao, Fletcher, or Nuhiu , and then FF, Reach and hopefully Hooper , surely that option would make us a decent attack compared to most in this league.?

I am a fan of Reach and have defended him on here but was very disappointed in him today.

Seemed to think playing wingback means hugging the touch line on the half way line while neither attacking nor defending.

He never broke sweat, and has now developed this annoying habit of standing around waving his arms moaning while doing nowt himself.

Unlike some we have got, he has loads of ability and needs to use to impact games.

2 hours ago, Ronio said:

I think the player ratings are a bit harsh Kivo.

We played better than the ratings suggests.

You’re deluded. No one deserved a 6 today. It was an horrific display and we should have lost by 2 or 3 goals. 

Ive just got home and I’m livid. Great day with my mates but the football was terrible.