#SHIRTGATE

1 minute ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Maybe they will.  However, is it worth the potential backlash that for every £99 shirt sold you risk not selling many more £59 shirts because people think (1) they are getting a cheap knockoff and/or (2) they don't want to be seen wearing a cheaper version of the shirt?

Product / price tiering happens in all walks of life. 

I assume the same people won’t bother turning up at s6 anymore because they want to get a box seat for the same price as a Kop seat. 

Will they boycott Tesco because they want the “irresistible” range of cookes, but are only willing to spend on the standard range. 

I suspect all the folk moaning now will buy the replica shirt at 59 quid in a few days or whenever it’s available. 

I do think 59 quid is steep, but it seems that Football just continues to push up prices. And the the daft FFP stuff gives clubs a reason / excuse to charge these prices. 

5 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

If what you have written had been communicated then fine but people thought they could buy the kit today. Why create this own goal, it was so easily avoidable.

A day where we should be praising the club for the successful early release has turned into a farce again.

This is not the fans making even if a few have over reacted.

This bit I agree. Whilst we weren't explicitly told it was a full release... I'm pretty sure everyone assumed it would be. I said in another thread (I think) that this launch is cheeky... I stand by that. I also believe it's more necessity... we probably haven't got a complete stock in (like most clubs) yet, but DC wanted to release what he could today. IMO that's now being thrown back in his face by a bunch of angrymad entitled people. If you can't afford the kit as it currently is... don't buy it. Hopefully the more sensibly-priced option will be here imminently (if not, bad form). 

And all this "I promised my kid a kit" stuff... honestly grow a pair and tell your kid no. I was told no as a child loads of times, I so rarely got what I asked for coming from a poor family... they'll deal with it. Explain to them that they'll get one soon... teach them patience. The fact the plod have got involved tell me it's a lesson a few of our fans needed when they were younger too. 

This seems such a daft overreaction to what is essentially an early release of a premium kit to be followed (hopefully soon) by a cheaper alternative. The club should have made this crystal clear when announcing the kit 48 hours ago and not late last night. That's shockingly poor on their part... but some sort of mob mentality outside the clubshop is frankly pathetic. 

Now I've not bought a football kit in years but this is the first I've heard of the ones they sell being different than the ones the players wear (other than being made for people who last had a  body shape vaguely resembling an 'athlete' in 1997 obviously).

And then the club having the cheek to try and market the proper ones as something special at a higher price point!  

Modern football ffs!

Just now, owlinexile said:

Now I've not bought a football kit in years but this is the first I've heard of the ones they sell being different than the ones the players wear (other than being made for people who last had a  body shape vaguely resembling an 'athlete' in 1997 obviously).

And then the club having the cheek to try and market the proper ones as something special at a higher price point!  

Modern football ffs!

It has been the pricing structure used by Nike and Adidas now for around 10 years.

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

Modern football ffs!

I mean... obviously the shirts they've previously sold in the club shop are far inferior to what the players actually wear on matchdays lol 

You didn't seriously think what you can get off a shelf for 50 quid is the same product that professional Championship players wear... did you? 

1 minute ago, bigdan2003 said:

Product / price tiering happens in all walks of life. 

I assume the same people won’t bother turning up at s6 anymore because they want to get a box seat for the same price as a Kop seat. 

Will they boycott Tesco because they want the “irresistible” range of cookes, but are only willing to spend on the standard range. 

I suspect all the folk moaning now will buy the replica shirt at 59 quid in a few days or whenever it’s available. 

I do think 59 quid is steep, but it seems that Football just continues to push up prices. And the the daft FFP stuff gives clubs a reason / excuse to charge these prices. 

Kind of confusing the issue a bit.  How many people identify by the supermarket they support, or the cookies they buy?

Also, seat pricing is a different issue as you are paying for different views, facilities etc.  Yes, with the two shirts you are getting different shirts but my point is that there should not be different shirts.  One shirt, well designed and made at an appropriate price point will sell itself without all the debate we've had this morning.

It’s a complete own goal from the Club. After last year’s mess, they should have got a massive level of stock ready and available to buy today and it would’ve been a huge day of sales given it’s OITP.

Now we only have £99 shirts available and everyone is talking about this. Why are these superior shirts available and the normal shirts not? Why release this on Saturday night?

We are so disorganised and unprofessional as a Club, it’s concerning.