Don Megson testimonial match - were you there?

Yep. Definitely went but can’t remember much about it.

Think we played an England XI.

Testimonials were a regular thing in those days and were usually against a United or International XI, I’m sure.

I can recall some of it,it was an evening game and they played TWO matches,the first kicked off about 7pm,think we missed most of the first half,but an old Owls side played some ex internationals,Dennis Woodhead,Broadbent,Froggat,Pete johnson,John Fantham and Tommy Mac played,The second game kicked off at 8pm which featured some of the current side a against an International XI,a mixture of some popular pros of the day.One of them finished 7-6,it was pretty well attended as well.

Later that fatefull season came Gerry Youngs Testamonial,which came when the season finished.We played the scrubbers and Don Megson played his last game in a Wednesday shirt in a 3-3 draw,his final competative Owls game had been the infamous loss to 4th division Scunthorpe in the FA Cup in January 1970,Gerrys was less well attended,only 12/13K turned out.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LittleG said:

I was there but like other posters I cannot recall much about it

I think the thing is that basically we all went to support the player who’s testimonial it was and it was just a few bob in those days. Who they played was really irrelevant and, apart from seeing a few ex players strolling about, the matches themselves were just instantly forgettable.

I went to Don Megsons, Redfern Froggatts, Alan Finneys and all the other’s but can’t remember a thing  about the matches themselves

Edited by Ibbo48

To be honest I can't remember, but we used to go whenever Wednesday played

I remember in the sixties, and seventies, there were no radio broadcasts of away games, no score updates on radio or TV

The only way of knowing how Wednesday were going on was by going to the reserve games, it really was pants back then

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I went to this one and I seem to recall the "International XI" played in a dayglo orange kit, - really bright and looked like they had about 14 men on the pitch.  Can't recall anything about the game though.  As others have said, people turned up to support the beneficiary player who in this case had given many years of solid service to the club.  And in those days they weren't paid a fortune of many hundred times the average weekly wage.

On 08/06/2018 at 19:33, @owlstalk said:

#SWFC legend Don Megson testimonial game - did you go?

Naow, I'd be 2 or 3 depending on the time on year or wouldn't remember anyway. Met Don and Yvonne and a few time though, had a few drinks with em round my sister's house