What do YOU call Hillsborough?

58 minutes ago, Anton DecChair said:

All the old uns in the family called it "Ollerton".  In the late 60s and 70s we called it The Superdrome.

Nowadays...S6.

I’m surprised. It’s pronounced more like ohwlat’un than ollerton 

1114996008_OwlertonTram.thumb.jpg.715066aab8f9dfb2fec378d419b1ae9f.jpg

In the immediate post war years, I always assumed that if you went to the 'ground' down Penistone Road you called it Owlerton. Similarly if you went via Catch Bar Lane and Middlewood Road you called it Hillsborough. I thought this arose because of what it said on the front of the respective trams that took you there. My tram went from Fitzallen Square - I think - therefore I always went to Owlerton. Funny thing - memory. You think you knew something for 70 years and then somebody puts you right!

• Like 2

Simple, Join the dots...

Point (a) Hillsborough Corner.

Point (b) Junction of Parkside Road & Middlewood Road.

Point (c) Junction of Leppings Lane & Penistone Road.

Point (d) Junction of Owlerton Green & Penistone Road.

Joint the points together, Everything inside the BLUE line is Hillsborough.  

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Simple, Join the dots...

Point (a) Hillsborough Corner.

Point (b) Junction of Parkside Road & Middlewood Road.

Point (c) Junction of Leppings Lane & Penistone Road.

Point (d) Junction of Owlerton Green & Penistone Road.

Joint the points together, Everything inside the BLUE line is Hillsborough.  

You sure about that Nev? It would put the Ground in Hillsborough, except it isn't, it's in Owlerton and always has been!

• Like 1

The olde medieval settlement perhaps dating back to Norse/Viking times that stood on the banks of Don and Rivelin. The plot of land triangular in shape and bordered by the Don and Rivelin and modern day Penistone Road house a community structure large in size somewhere in the vicinity of where St Johns church now stands. The building was known as the Ojla (Owla). The name survived and derived to Owlerton long after the building had gone (Probably sacked).

Hillsborough was only in its infancy when The Wednesday moved there at the very end of the 19th Century. The poster from earlier is almost correct in identifying the trams. However, most locals referred to the location where they lived by the terms 'Top Road'  Hillsborough and Bottom Road Owlerton. The Herries Road build in actual fact was referred to as being at Wadsley Bridge (A good way away) from what we call Wadsley Bridge.

It would indeed seem strange if a man of resource such as Old man Dixon would secure a large acreage of triangular land that included our future plot and christen it Hillsborough Park rather than Owlerton park would it not. The fact that bottom roaders passed through Owlerton to get to our stadium gave them a sense of entitlement and passage to call the ground what they liked; But as the factories have disappeared so has the old nostalgic name of Owlerton slowly but sure waned from our fathers and grandfathers Wednesday Lexicon.   

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 02:47, Utah Owl said:

The district that the ground is actually in is Owlerton, but the parliamentary constituency is Hillsborough, think it comes from that.

It's all in here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_Stadium

It didn't used to be in the Hillsborough constituency before the recent boundary changes.

It was in Brightside and not the old Hillsborough constituency.

Blunkett used to get the face on when people mentioned the ground being in the Hillsborough one.

They are dropping the Hillsborough parliamentary name altogether in the next change to some sort of soulless North East Sheffield and Ecclesfield name.

In fact, just looked it up and "The Wednesday Ground" (for that is what it is known), has been shoehorned into Sheffield Central along with the scrubbers at Bumhole Lane!

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 02:47, Utah Owl said:

The district that the ground is actually in is Owlerton, but the parliamentary constituency is Hillsborough, think it comes from that.

It's all in here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_Stadium

You can hardly use wicki as a point of historical fact Leon.

My question remains. Why would old man Dixon buy a plot of land including the land that our stadium occupies and call the estate Hillsborough House (old Hillsborough Library) ?