What do YOU call Hillsborough?

On 04/06/2018 at 14:21, MartinOwlMan said:

Years ago my older, now departed relatives used to call it Owlerton. I think this was in general use locally in the early years of the ground. 

My Grandad always called it Owlerton 

• Like 1

I'm amazed that so many are saying the Wednesday Ground. I don't think i've ever called it that unless talking to a non-Wednesdayite.

I remember one time, I was in a car with my mate Tank and couple of others. We were talking about going to Mecca and girl in the car chirps up and says "are we parking at the bingo?". 

Owlsboro,comes from a poster I saw in the 70s,"The great owlsboro goal robbery" it was on a wall in my cousins house,he used to pinch wallposters from various events,cant recall the posters origins but pretty certain from its design it derived from the demise of us as a club.

I’m surprised. It’s pronounced more like ohwlat’un than ollerton 

I agree......  but they did. Great uncles who lived in Firvale and Pitsmoor. I'm talking about the fifties and early sixties here. I also remember some venerable old Wednesdayites in pubs and on buses referring to "Ollerton" in the late sixties. My Dad calls it Owlerton and always has ( He's in his nineties).. , but he too remembers some old lads pronouncing it like the town in North Notts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough,_County_Down

Seems Hillsborough, northern Ireland was named in 1661 after Arthur Hill who built a fort to command a road from Dublin.

Dunno if there's any connection with us.  I can imagine our version began as a village nicknamed hilly borough. Just guessing.

Anyway back in the 50s when I started going, all the oldies called it Owlerton.  Pronounced 'ole- a- tun'.