Barring Fulham where he went off injured, I don't think we have lost with him on the pitch since his return. Shows what a key player he is for us. He gets stick for his Hollywood passing at times, but I think we need somebody like that who's going to play unpredictable balls instead of passing it around the defence. One good ball can easily cut the defence apart.

That's what he brings to the table

12 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Next seasons captain ? 

No, he’s not a leader. I think that making you’re most talented player captain doesn’t work unless they are naturally leaders - doing so not only negatively affects the team performance but also affects the player. I know it’s a different sport but look at how things have panned out for Joe Root and the England Cricket team since he was made captain. 

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

No, he’s not a leader. I think that making you’re most talented player captain doesn’t work unless they are naturally leaders - doing so not only negatively affects the team performance but also affects the player. I know it’s a different sport but look at how things have panned out for Joe Root and the England Cricket team since he was made captain. 

Yes but Roots a blunt at the end of the day !!

4 hours ago, handworth52 said:

He played really well at Hull and we have really missed him . Just a shame that he averages 1 goal a season from midfield which if we are ever to challenge the top 2 that needs to be nearer 10 . 

If Bannan was banging in 10 goals a season he would be playing for a mid to high end premier league team.  I would be very surprised if lower end premier league teams (1 of the 3 promoted teams) aren't in for BB in the close season.

5 minutes ago, torres said:

Even after missing so long he’s still probably been the player of the year 

If he had have played more games, he would be an absolute shoo-in for the award. Unfortunately the Cult of Reach will have their day. Sums up our season that such an average player will probably win it.

• Haha 1

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
7 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

If he had have played more games, he would be an absolute shoo-in for the award. Unfortunately the Cult of Reach will have their day. Sums up our season that such an average player will probably win it.

I'd have stopped at your first sentence rather than air your prejudice with the 'cult of' cr*p

16 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Yet some still think should offload the likes of Westwood, Hooper and Forestieri. These are the players we need to build around. 

we might 'have to' offload one of them to fund incoming players (of jos' choice).

not sure westwood would command a decent price, hooper perhaps, bannan, and forestieri yes, yes.

i hope we keep them all, but the balancing act of actually running a football club within the rules whilst bringing in what the new manager wants has to be dealt with in real world terms, it's not 'football manager' or whatever it's called.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 minutes ago, dnhc said:

we might 'have to' offload one of them to fund incoming players (of jos' choice).

not sure westwood would command a decent price, hooper perhaps, bannan, and forestieri yes, yes.

i hope we keep them all, but the balancing act of actually running a football club within the rules whilst bringing in what the new manager wants has to be dealt with in real world terms, it's not 'football manager' or whatever it's called.

Yes unfortunately finances will most likely dictate that a favourite or two will have to be cashed in.

3 hours ago, shandypants said:

for decades now i've been staggered by england's choice of the 'best player' as captain, root is just the latest in a long line. cook was the best batsman in the side, but was a hesitant captain, root looks like a lad trying to do a man's job, flintoff totally out of his depth, brearley and gatting were captains, brearley not good enough to bat above 6/7

i played a bit myself, and can tell you one season i had to move up the equivalent of around a dozen divisions at a stroke.

if i'd written on a piece of paper 3 places i didn't want a fielder in and hid it in my pocket, then 2/3rds of the time 2 of the 3 places had fielders into those places within 2 overs, that's captaincy.

Edited by dnhc
yy

24 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Arrr the famous Cult of Reach

Sure, that’s a thing, sure sure.

48 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

I'd have stopped at your first sentence rather than air your prejudice with the 'cult of' cr*p

What prejudice? I'm sick of being told what a superstar player Reach is when all we've done while he's been fit and playing is struggle. When you chuck your Bannan's, -Hutchinson's, Lees' and Forrestieri's back in the mix, players who all get their fair share of stick on here, surprise, surprise we start to pick up points on a regular basis, don't we? :laugh:

Edited by Great Big Galaa

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

What prejudice? I'm sick of being told what a superstar player Reach is when all we've done while he's been fit and playing is struggle. When you Chuck your Bannan's, -Hutchinson's, Lees' and Forrestieri's back in the mix, players who all get their fair share of stick on here, surprise, surprise we start to pick up points on a regular basis, don't we? :laugh:

You're right... Reach has been holding the fort for a long time.

Well spotted.

WTF!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

You're right... Reach has been holding the fort for a long time.

Well spotted.

WTF!?

Holding the fort? Not very well IMO but I'm in the minority with this opinion. Another thread suggests Chansiri likes a bargain. Well he well truly got one when he signed Reach :rolleyes:

48 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Exactly 

• Thanks 1

For Bannan to be his most effective for us he needs to be in a midfield 3.

As part of a 2 he is not strong enough, a 3 gives him the license to focus on what he is good at.

I got sick of Bannan under Carlos but like several other players he was a victim of Carlos’s poor tactics. 

Now, I am really pleased we still have him and look forward to seeing him in the team next season. 

6 hours ago, handworth52 said:

He played really well at Hull and we have really missed him . Just a shame that he averages 1 goal a season from midfield which if we are ever to challenge the top 2 that needs to be nearer 10 . 

Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United seem to have done alright with Vieira, Keane and Kante scoring an average of about 3-4 per season. We were in a somewhat similar position with Carlton Palmer. And despite Bannan's goalscoring limitations, we have come close to promotion twice.