Pelupessy

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

I've been critical of him (and justifiably so, in my opinion) since he signed.

But he was very good today. Man of the Match.

Broke things up, used the ball well, looked strong alongside Bannan, great delivery for Lees goal. 

Keep up the good work Joey. 

He's been tidy the last few matches, making key challenges in midfield and turning defence into attack.

Could be a huge factor next season.

1 hour ago, Daavies; said:

Looks a really physically fit lad who I think will play 40 games a season for us.  Breaking up the game really well and keeping the ball moving.

Good point about consistently playing - with Hutch and Lee not being the most reliable fitnesswise it’d be good to have someone who is.

Captain as well at his old club wasn’t he?

On 02/04/2018 at 17:08, frastheowl said:

I've been critical of him (and justifiably so, in my opinion) since he signed.

But he was very good today. Man of the Match.

Broke things up, used the ball well, looked strong alongside Bannan, great delivery for Lees goal. 

Keep up the good work Joey. 

Don't you think the reason he has been getting better in the last few games is because he's settling in to British football, so no your criticism of him wasn't justified

He had one game playing alongside Hutchinson for the penny to drop

He doesn't usually go to ground, but having watched Hutch against Leeds

He put in a delightful tackle, going to ground against Sunderland, he stopped their attack we recovered the ball and if memory serves, it led to a goal

He linked up really well with Bannan, they were high fiving each other after a couple of the goals

Much more to come from this kid, especially if he learns from Hutch.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 17:12, DesWalker said:

I think Bannan in there alongside him helps as he always wants the ball.

Exactly. It's amazing how players can look better when they have good players next to them...

He came into the team and had to play with Jones and/or Butterfield. Not a huge surprise that he struggled alongside those two.

5 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

He linked up really well with Bannan, they were high fiving each other after a couple of the goals

Noticed this myself. First thing Joey did when Joao got the first goal against Sunderland was acknowledge Bannan and his great ball to Nuhiu. First thing Baz did after the Lees goal was acknowledge Joey's fantastic free kick delivery. There could potentially be a very good midfield partnership there in the not too distant future

• Like 1

Just now, StudentOwl said:

Noticed this myself. First thing Joey did when Joao got the first goal against Sunderland was acknowledge Bannan and his great ball to Nuhiu. First thing Baz did after the Lees goal was acknowledge Joey's fantastic free kick delivery. There could potentially be a very good midfield partnership there in the not too distant future

You've got to feel for Bannan though. Lee, Hutch and now Joey as partners, all fit AF. No wonder the lad hasn't got the confidence to get himself a woman.

• Haha 2

On 2 April 2018 at 18:52, Hughthecone said:

Pleased that he has settled in ,can remember not so long ago he was being slagged off by many on this site the doubters won't put their heads above the parapets now I think.

To be fair, I think the OP does put his head above the parapet. However, he does quickly duck down by trying to justify earlier criticisms.

40 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

To be fair, I think the OP does put his head above the parapet. However, he does quickly duck down by trying to justify earlier criticisms.

Agree with what you're saying and at least he's had the b@lls to admit to it ,unlike quite a number on this site who shout fire and then disappear.

6 hours ago, Archie irvine said:

Don't you think the reason he has been getting better in the last few games is because he's settling in to British football, so no your criticism of him wasn't justified

It was justified, because his performances were, on the whole, very poor over a prolonged period. 

There might have been reasons for his poor performances, but it doesn't absolve him for blame...and if you ask the player himself, he'd say the same thing.

I, and most others, never wrote him off completely. But, also, on the same score, one swallow doesn't make a summer. 

He still needs to continue to get better, if he's to replace the likes of Hutchinson in midfield. 

But, the last couple of games have been a huge improvement, and thats credit to him. 

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

It was justified, because his performances were, on the whole, very poor over a prolonged period. 

I think you're being overly harsh... Bar one or two games he hasn't been "very poor" at all... "Decidedly average" would be far more fair. And all things considered, that's what I'd expect from a young-ish guy coming from the Dutch leagues. At no point have I felt he's been "very poor" and in danger of being a poor signing... And touch wood he's continuing to not look so and is definitely starting to improve.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I think you're being overly harsh... Bar one or two games he hasn't been "very poor" at all... "Decidedly average" would be far more fair. And all things considered, that's what I'd expect from a young-ish guy coming from the Dutch leagues. At no point have I felt he's been "very poor" and in danger of being a poor signing... And touch wood he's continuing to not look so and is definitely starting to improve.

Well we'll agree to disagree on that then.

Barnsley away he was absolutely awful. Villa at home. Millwall away. Bristol away. These games bypassed him and he looked criminally off pace. 

BUT, I don't want this to become a witch hunt, because that's simply not the case. 

The reason I created this thread, was because of his recent improvement, which culminated in his best performance to date at Sunderland. There were signs on Monday that very optimistic for the future. 

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

For what he cost...the expectations should be low...he looks more than alright to me.

WTF!?

He's improving. 

It's fine. There's no issue.

It was an ideal time for him to come in and get use to things. But it doesn't change the fact he wasn't great initially.

I'm not going to pretend he's not been poor or off the pace, because he's either dutch, or cheap.

FFS... Stop gettin' your knickers in a twist.