Have a look at this..

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield Wednesday Spion Kop.jpg

What a sight! Remember being on here when we scored a goal?

I was there.. one of the original trumpers (notice the gap forming central middle kop)

I still do trumping even now,.. but it's less controlled than it used to be due to age.. 

19 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

I was there.. one of the original trumpers (notice the gap forming central middle kop)

I still do trumping even now,.. but it's less controlled than it used to be due to age.. 

I don't mind the trumping. It's the trumpeting that bugs me.

If you were near a rail, the trick was to stand with that rail to your back (when facing the pitch) but it was great to stand nowhere near a rail and feel the ebb and flow, swell and sway of the crowd (as the play became more exciting) and the frenetic madness when a wonder goal flew in. It’s a real shame that some of our fans will never experience that. I really miss it if I’m honest. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

we used to take a position just in front of a barrier on the Kop , so when we scored we were at the back of the surge. 

I loved being able to wander round the Kop and stand where we wanted. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was brilliant and mad in equal measure. I was 9stone max in my teens and at a big game, a surge and counter surge could separate you from your mates and dump you like flotsam from a tsunami in another part of the kop such that you'd be lucky to relocate your pals before half time/ full time and if you were unlucky would dump you in the middle of an invading posse of enemy fans. 

By the seventies though, most games you could spread out a picnic blanket/ have your own safe farting area - there were so few on it, we had a stanchion each. Still was strangely brilliant. Like Easter we knew there'd be a resurrection / but it happened on a Boxing Day! 

• Like 3