Tony Kay - Sheffield Wednesday

1 hour ago, owler66 said:

Big Jack wouldn't have been there either Peter Swan would've been along side Bobby Moore 

we'll never know but he was well out the England picture in the 2 years before he was banned so it's unlikely  .......he blotted his copybook at the world cup in chile and was never picked again .whether that was down to ability or his behaviour on that trip I don't know 

45 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we'll never know but he was well out the England picture in the 2 years before he was banned so it's unlikely  .......he blotted his copybook at the world cup in chile and was never picked again .whether that was down to ability or his behaviour on that trip I don't know 

Ramsey blamed Springett and Swan for the 5-2 loss to France in the European Championship...never picked any of them after that

9 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Ramsey blamed Springett and Swan for the 5-2 loss to France in the European Championship...never picked any of them after that

swan never played under ramsey Davey .....like I said earlier he never was selected after the world cup in chile . think he upset the men in suit's over there . 

Guest Jack the Hat
6 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Let us down along with the others in the “betting scandal”. Still annoys me that good working folk were paying their hard earned money to be loyal to the mighty Owls. That loyalty was seemingly returned by betting against their own team if we believe all we are told and read.

4 hours ago, owler66 said:

Funnily enough the match against Ipswich he supposedly bet against us he was MOTM 

They weren't on massive wages back then but they got decent win bonuses so what they used to do was bet on a loss so if they did lose they got the same amount as a win bonus. A lot of players did it but they got caught. They weren't deliberately losing. 

22 hours ago, attyjake said:

Traditionally the shirts had the white stripe in the middle, this is how our new strip should be. obviously more modern though.

don't give chansiri any ideas. he'll have us wearing faded black and white stripes next

I can't exaggerate just how good he was. He was consistently our best player ( apart from Springett) every game. When the People used to mark the players on Sunday he would be 9 or 10 most weeks. He was a box to box dynamo, hard tackler, great on the ball, could shoot. We used to wait outside the players entrance then and I never found him cocky or arrogant, just like other lads off Parson Cross, turning up in an old van, in a flat cap and donkey jacket. One Satdy he screeched to a halt, asked us what time it was, then sped off again towards Leppings Lane, returning just in time to get changed. I can still picture him leading the team out before the first game after the coach crash, ( when they used to run out at five to three with no warm up.) His head was completely swathed in bandages after being badly cut through being thrown down the coach. The first time he headed the ball everybody held their breath but he just shook his head and got on with the game. 

• Like 1

Never saw him but I gather he was a top notch player. Mate who saw him never forgave him for jumping ship along with Catterick for a bigger club, Everton, just after we'd been League Title runners up. Don't think he was a particularly nice guy.

1 hour ago, Etchesketch said:

He picked Springett again. Was in 66 World Cup Squad and won his last cap that season.

Yes seem to remember him playing against Austria letting in last minute  goal and v Norway in run in to World Cup?

5 minutes ago, wexowl said:

Yes seem to remember him playing against Austria letting in last minute  goal and v Norway in run in to World Cup?

Yes Norway was his final cap.  I always wondered who would have played if Banks had been injured.  Was Springett or Bonetti seen as the number 2?  No  subs so you couldn't tell.  Bonetti had just made his debut while Springett had played in loads of big games and the previous World Cup.

Edited by Etchesketch

6 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Yes Norway was his final cap.  I always wondered who would have played if Banks had been injured.  Was Springett or Bonetti seen as the number 2?  No  subs so you couldn't tell.  Bonetti had just made his debut while Springett had played in loads of big games and the previous World Cup.

Well Bonetti eventually got his chance of course but that --5-2 v France was played just after the very bad winter 1962 and Springett and presumably all the other team members hadn't played or trained properly for weeks.