Tony Kay - Sheffield Wednesday

Met him at a pre season game at Southports ground about 4 years ago,I was in their club having a few beers,I mentioned my dad knew David Layne and we got talking about  football,colourfull guy,lead an interesting life.He had some teriffic stories to tell,sadly I cant share any of it otherwise Id end up in court :tango:

Edited by legendaryswan

Let us down along with the others in the “betting scandal”. Still annoys me that good working folk were paying their hard earned money to be loyal to the mighty Owls. That loyalty was seemingly returned by betting against their own team if we believe all we are told and read.

2 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Let us down along with the others in the “betting scandal”. Still annoys me that good working folk were paying their hard earned money to be loyal to the mighty Owls. That loyalty was seemingly returned by betting against their own team if we believe all we are told and read.

Funnily enough the match against Ipswich he supposedly bet against us he was MOTM 

16 minutes ago, m77owl said:

Those horrendous tackles were mainly made by him. He didn't need the shin pads

Remember seeing him against Maurice Setters, a hard man himself. First tackle put Setters in the  bottom of the wall.

He was a hard man and great to have on your side

Personally, he was an arrogant, cocky b*****d. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cambs Owl said:

Terrific player- shame such a waste of talent

Unbelievably good player. Extremely hard ( anybody turning up in the opposition to intimidate soon got a few crunching tackles early on eg Nobby Lawton for Man U in the very 1960s)  but also very skilful and a greatly talented footballer. Rarely made mistakes. Catterick took him to Everton with him after a decent interval and he was just as good there and instrumental in them winning the Championship. Stiles would never have played for England in 1966  if Kay had not transgressed. 

9 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Unbelievably good player. Extremely hard ( anybody turning up in the opposition to intimidate soon got a few crunching tackles early on eg Nobby Lawton for Man U in the very 1960s)  but also very skilful and a greatly talented footballer. Rarely made mistakes. Catterick took him to Everton with him after a decent interval and he was just as good there and instrumental in them winning the Championship. Stiles would never have played for England in 1966  if Kay had not transgressed. 

Not a chance, Alf Ramsey didn’t like Jack the Lad players, had it not been the betting malarkey it would have been something else, he was a complete prat with a fantastic talent.

42 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Big Jack wouldn't have been there either Peter Swan would've been along side Bobby Moore 

My Dad went to school with him and played in the same team as him. 

He always told me a story about him, Alf Ringstead who played for United at the time came to their school to give some coaching, he had the ball at his feet and invited anyone to come and tackle him, up stepped Tony Kay tackled him won the ball and put him on his arse while all the school cheered, always been my hero after that story 

• Haha 2