Best Wednesday 11 from your time watching em.

This is a great thread because it’s defined by the era that you started watching Wednesday. 

I started in the late 60’s so I suppose that I, and people like me, have more of a pool of memories to trawl through... clearly that doesn’t make us any more knowledgeable!!

The people who missed the Wilkinson era but saw light during the Atkinson, Francis, Sturroch times will not be considering some of the foot soldiers that Howard Wilkinson polished up.

Not all were fabulously gifted stars but they were incredibly effective within a certain style of play.

Lee Chapman looked like somebody running to catch the last bus after a good night out, but my God , was he effective. The same could be said of Imre Varadi... he may have had a funny action but I was always confident that he would score, and he usually did... along with Garry Bannister...20 goals a season guaranteed from those three.

Martin Hodge was a fine keeper... we’ve had loads of them. 

We had a spell when we had solid central defenders coming out of our ears, Mark Smith, Shirtcliff, Madden, Lyons, Viv Anderson, Walker,   Warhurst to mention just a few.

It’s an impossible task to pick the best of the best, so I’ll go for Waddle, Hirst and nine others... I flippin love ‘em all.

18 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

lol probably Brunt. 

Poor Brunt, he can cope with this seasons relegation, but missing out on Euro 2016 must have been devastating.

Let's hope he doesn't hear you've dropped him from your life time best Wednesday 11 there's only so much pain a man can take, it will surely drive him over the edge. lol

Edited by OWL1969

Since 1947.

G.K got to be RON SPRINGETT.

and Centre Half -Peter Swan

with my first person on the sub bench Gerry Young, who could fill in for any injured/tired players.

The rest would include names like Don Megson,, and a halfback, the little known Eddie Gannon, Chris Waddle, Tommy Craig, david hirst,,and of course the inimicable Derek Dooley.

manager would have t be Alan Brown or Harry Catterick.,   

3 hours ago, Bigblueowl said:

I was going to list subs but got finger fatigue. 

You've had brain fatigue as well if you have Woods anywhere near a best ever Wednesday XI.....he wouldn't get in most people's top 10 Wednesday keepers......definitely not top 5

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kobayashi said:

Attacking 4-4-2

Hodge

Sterland

Worthington

Pearson

Lyons

Palmer

Sheridan

Di Canio

Waddle

Hirst

Chapman

Subs Curran, Bannister, Walker, Carbone, Marwood, Anderson, JJ

Manager Big Jack

Trainer Tony Toms

Zicooooooooo!

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

You've had brain fatigue as well if you have Woods anywhere near a best ever Wednesday XI.....he wouldn't get in most people's top 10 Wednesday keepers......definitely not top 5

Yet was selected by at least 2 different England managers. 

How many caps dI'd he end up with? Was alot I'm sure.

Just now, theowlsman said:

Zicooooooooo!

Remember playing football in the park and the schoolyard must have been 1982, everytime anybody shot from distance there was a shout of Zico!, whenever anybody headed the ball a shout of Eder!. 

With hindsight I bet Eder rarely headed the ball during that World Cup.

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Since 1947.

G.K got to be RON SPRINGETT.

and Centre Half -Peter Swan

with my first person on the sub bench Gerry Young, who could fill in for any injured/tired players.

The rest would include names like Don Megson,, and a halfback, the little known Eddie Gannon, Chris Waddle, Tommy Craig, david hirst,,and of course the inimicable Derek Dooley.

manager would have t be Alan Brown or Harry Catterick.,   

My dear old late dad gave me the Eddie Gannon story many times ,

Must have been good?

he knew a good player or two did dad..

25 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Remember playing football in the park and the schoolyard must have been 1982, everytime anybody shot from distance there was a shout of Zico!, whenever anybody headed the ball a shout of Eder!. 

With hindsight I bet Eder rarely headed the ball during that World Cup.

Header not Eder maybe?

1 hour ago, OWL1969 said:

Yet was selected by at least 2 different England managers. 

How many caps dI'd he end up with? Was alot I'm sure.

I don't give a flying fig how many England caps he won

He was directly responsible for us losing the cup final

he was also directly responsible for allowing United to do the double over us in a season where we would have won the league had they not.

So, with any keeper with an ounce of bottle we'd have won the FA Cup and the league title

Let that sink in when anyone says he's the best keeper they've ever seen play for us......I'd rather have Tidman

Tough choice for me, like the op's line up but being 43 I don't really remember Lyons, so it would have to be Pearson. 

Loved watching Nilsson was absolutely class, but still slightly torn between him and sterland, different players and sterland especially as a fullback dragged us single handedly through games on a regular basis either with assists or goals, what I would give these days for just one fullback here now with a regular END PRODUCT!! 

Guest everydays_wednesday
On 20/03/2018 at 20:22, OWL1969 said:

Think we need to put our age and when we started watching Wednesday on this.

I'm 48 started going early 70s can remember from late 70s. 

My Eleven would be 

1 Pressman

2 Nilson

3 Worthington

4 Walker

5 Lyons

6 Palmer c

7 Sheridan

8 Waddle

9 Hirst

10 Bannister

11 Curran

subs Westwood, Sterland, Warhurst, M Smith, Shelton (I will limit it 5 as I could go on all day)

Manager Atkinson, assisted by Megson (got to fit him in somewhere)

Chairman Wilkinson (with Chansiri's cash)

Interesting to see both older and younger fans views.

I am 56 in 2 weeks time watching on my fathers knee from 1968 but would go with Hodge in goal and Mick Lyons would be captain of any side in world football for me.

4 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Poor Brunt, he can cope with this seasons relegation, but missing out on Euro 2016 must have been devastating.

Let's hope he doesn't hear you've dropped him from your life time best Wednesday 11 there's only so much pain a man can take, it will surely drive him over the edge. lol

It's a cut throat sport I'm afraid. 

• Haha 1