Best Wednesday 11 from your time watching em.

34, first game 94 ish.

pressman

Hunt  walker  loovens   pudil 

Sheridan 

Alexanderson  lee waddle  

Di Canio  hirst 

bench - Westwood, hooper, sibon, bannan, lees, forestieri, carbone 

Ignoire the sheridan as a holding mid, couldn’t fit it in one line with alexanderson being in there.

26 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don't give a flying fig how many England caps he won

He was directly responsible for us losing the cup final

he was also directly responsible for allowing United to do the double over us in a season where we would have won the league had they not.

So, with any keeper with an ounce of bottle we'd have won the FA Cup and the league title

Let that sink in when anyone says he's the best keeper they've ever seen play for us......I'd rather have Tidman

So if we had got one draw against United, hence they didn't do the double we would have won the League? 

No, that's a load of tripe, as is the Tidman bit.

In fairness I agree  with you about Woods not being our best, wouldn't make my top 5.

But everyone has their own opinion, that's the beauty of football alot of it is opinions.

The poster is entitled to his and at least 2 England managers agreed with it, which was my original point.

Not saying me and you are right or the poster/s  with him in the their best Wednesday 11 (+ 2 England managers) are correct.

I'm saying everyone's opinion is theirs and to them is correct. As witnessed with the Nilsson/Sterland discussion earlier.

Re the Cup Final if Bright had scored earlier with his great chance it wouldn't have gone to extra time. 

At the time I blamed both Bright and Woods BUT only Bright could be held responsible for his miss, the whole defence/ team let Linigan have his free header. 

With hindsight I just put it down to one of those things, don't blame anyone it just wasn't meant to be. Still bleeding hurts though. 

Just my opinion though of course.

Westwood

Reda

Lees

Llera

Buxton

Antonio

Lee

Bannan

JJ

Forestieri

Wickham

I started going pretty regularly when i was 14/15ish, 24 now and we've been pretty s**t for the last 10 years, the last three seasons have been the best ones for me as a fan (probably why I'm such a big CC fan)

Edited by Lionel Fessi

34 minutes ago, everydays_wednesday said:

I am 56 in 2 weeks time watching on my fathers knee from 1968 but would go with Hodge in goal and Mick Lyons would be captain of any side in world football for me.

Yes Lyons would be captain too.

The c was genuinely to denote Carlton as I knew there'd be at least one comedian saying Liam Palmer in midfield?

I was right, 2 or 3 already said it. Thats Owlstalk for ya lol

2 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

So if we had got one draw against United, hence they didn't do the double we would have won the League? 

Well, we finished 7 points behind Leeds, so even winning both of those games wouldn't have been enough.

2 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

In fairness I agree  with you about Woods not being our best, wouldn't make my top 5.

Woods was a fabulous shot stopper with excellent reactions, but he was poor against crosses and could shrivel if the crowd got on his back.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

he was also directly responsible for allowing United to do the double over us in a season where we would have won the league had they not.

So, with any keeper with an ounce of bottle we'd have won the FA Cup and the league title

Let that sink in when anyone says he's the best keeper they've ever seen play for us......I'd rather have Tidman

Still making friends?

WTF!?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Well, we finished 7 points behind Leeds, so even winning both of those games wouldn't have been enough.

Woods was a fabulous shot stopper with excellent reactions, but he was poor against crosses and could shrivel if the crowd got on his back.

Haven't seen your keeper DJ... who'd you put?

WTF!?

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Haven't seen your keeper DJ... who'd you put?

WTF!?

I haven't named a team; too many difficult choices, especially if you're not a young man. Just look at the options up front for example - Curran, Bannister, Varadi, Chapman, Hirst, Bright, Di Canio, Forestieri...

But the keeper would probably have to be between Hodge, Pressman, Kirkland and Westwood.

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I haven't named a team; too many difficult choices, especially if you're not a young man. Just look at the options up front for example - Curran, Bannister, Varadi, Chapman, Hirst, Bright, Di Canio, Forestieri...

But the keeper would probably have to be between Hodge, Pressman, Kirkland and Westwood.

Absolutely.

Hodge was the first keeper who made an impression on me.

Very athletic... brilliant shot stopper and part of a back five that was the first that I really believed in since going (74/75)

If anything he lacked a bit of the aggressive confidence that modern keepers seem to have.

WTF!?

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Plus, you always forget someone. I know he was only with us for one season, but I really liked Dalian Atkinson as well and was gutted when he left.

Edited by DJMortimer

No love for Peter Shirtliffe in this thread.

Hodge

Nilsson

Lyons

Pearson

Petrescu

Waddle

Palmer

Sheridan

Alexanderson

Hirst

Di Canio

Bench - Shirtliff, Sterland, Carbone, Harkes, Anderson, Worthington and Bannister.

Edited by CrosbyKitchens

Everyone is missing putting Darko up front. Yes Pleat made a mess of having him here. But he is still the only ex Wednesday player that has gone for mega cash after leaving us. He was also considered one of the best strikers in Europe for a while. How many other ex players can say that

7 hours ago, Ian said:

Agreed... he was shaky from his debut onwards.

3 hours ago, Buford T. Justice said:

No love for Brian Marwood in this thread then?

I think he's a bit unlucky to be up against Waddle for right wing/midfield for the starting 11, although I'm surprised he hasn't been on a few benches

Marwood was a very good player and I remember talking to a Manure fan about him. I reckoned he was similar to Coppell but not as good, the MU fan differed saying he thought he was better. Strange how fans of other teams view our players