Best Wednesday 11 from your time watching em.

15 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

So if we had got one draw against United, hence they didn't do the double we would have won the League? 

No, that's a load of tripe, as is the Tidman bit.

In fairness I agree  with you about Woods not being our best, wouldn't make my top 5.

But everyone has their own opinion, that's the beauty of football alot of it is opinions.

The poster is entitled to his and at least 2 England managers agreed with it, which was my original point.

Not saying me and you are right or the poster/s  with him in the their best Wednesday 11 (+ 2 England managers) are correct.

I'm saying everyone's opinion is theirs and to them is correct. As witnessed with the Nilsson/Sterland discussion earlier.

Re the Cup Final if Bright had scored earlier with his great chance it wouldn't have gone to extra time. 

At the time I blamed both Bright and Woods BUT only Bright could be held responsible for his miss, the whole defence/ team let Linigan have his free header. 

With hindsight I just put it down to one of those things, don't blame anyone it just wasn't meant to be. Still bleeding hurts though. 

Just my opinion though of course.

Agree with this

That chance Bright missed is one you'd dream of to win the Cup, 8 yards with basically an open goal. Arsenal had fallen to bits when we equalised, probably because they'd been all over us and couldn't believe they hadn't got it sewn up. I have no doubt that had Bright scored, we'd have won. It was also Bright that Linighan outjumped for the winner.

This isn't a Bright bashing session nor am I saying that Woods was the best ever but Bright never seems to get any grief for his howler and Woods seems to cop for all the grief (and yes, I was at both derby games when he had shockers). He never let England down until one game (in Norway I think) when he was replaced by Seaman who made many mistakes but that gets airbrushed from history

Started going Christmas time 2004 (promotion season)

Westwood

Simek Bullen Lees Pudil

Antonio Lee Whelan Brunt

Forestieri Hooper

Subs

Kirkland Bougherra Hutchinson Bannan Tudgay Johnson MacLean

Honourable loan mentions

Carson Turner M.Johnson Batth Mellor Slusarski Eagles Marshall

It’s funny how we forget players, I was struggling to think of full backs/ wing backs and saw Dan Petrescu in someone else’s team and I forgot about Brian Marwood who was top drawer on his day. We have had a lot of very good players in our time.

Love these threads. I won't include loan players. 

Westwood- Best keeper I've seen in a Wednesday shirt for shot stopping. Pressman was good when I first started going always put in some amazing performances against the Blades. Honourable mention to Kirkland and Grant too.

Buxton- Started off not so great but was class in the 2011/12 season and the two seasons following. Good defender and could put a great cross into the box, Jack Hunt can learn a lot from him. One of my favourite ever Wednesday players. Honourable mention to Frank Simek pre-injury, a nasty tackle stopped him from going onto play in the Premier League IMO.

Lees- Free transfer absolute bargain. Ridiculously good signing from Stuart Gray. 

Bougherra- All though it was a brief spell before he jumped ship for more money, he was pretty special for a centre back. Brought the ball out of defence so well. Honourable mentions for Lee Bullen who could have one RB or CB, club legend but ability wise these two get the pick over him. Also Llera was pretty good for a free transfer.

Reda- Not on ability maybe, but for effort and heart he deserves to be picked. A CB converted into a left back and could easily have chucked him up front as a target man. Great player for us in the end, was deadly in the box from corners, a real handful and for a LB scored an impressive amount of goals for us. Surprised to see him playing Conference level, I'm sure he could do a job for someone in League One. Honourable mentions for Pudil in his first season before his legs went and Tommy Spurr who got so much grief towards the end of his spell at Wednesday. I thought it was a bit harsh, he had just lost his confidence and he always gave his best. Also he was crying his eyes out when we were relegated on the final day against Palace. A lot of players in that squad didn't care but Tommy certainly did.

JJ- On his day simply unplayable. Scored some cracking goals and always entertained. We miss someone like him in the squad now. If he found consistency he'd have played at the very top, Chris Waddle used to say it all the time. One of my Wednesday heroes growing up was JJ. Honourable mention for Michail Antonio who when on song was an absolute nightmare for defenders, I wasn't too fussed when he left the club but fair play he's gone on to play at the highest level.

Whelan- Free transfer again? Great player, could tackle and score goals. Will never forget his goal in the Play Off final and his banger away at Leicester. I was so upset when he left, he stuck around a bit longer than Brunt and Maclean but those three were my favourite Wednesday players at the time. Was gutted. Went onto have a great career in the Prem and for his country. Surprised he took up more of a defensive role once he left us, he always fancied a pop at goal when he was with us. 

Lee- Turned into a truly wonderful footballer. For a RB on a free from Oldham to become, in my opinion, our most important players speaks volumes of his effort and ability. Really hope we see him in a Wednesday shirt again. His goal in the play off semi against Brighton always sticks out for me, probably the happiest I've ever been as a Wednesdayite when that one found the back of the net. Honourable mentions for Bannan and Hutch, and of course Jose Semedo a Wednesday hero and warrior.

Brunt- Wand of a left foot and a player I always pretended to be in the playground. Scored some great goals. Used to get some stick from those around me which I never understood. A real class act who has become, like Whelan, a regular in the top flight. Would love him to come back here to end his career. Can't think of any other LM to give honourable mentions too, Alan Quinn? He was more central but will never forgive him for going to the Blades, he broke my heart as an 8 year old.

Forestieri- The most talented player I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt no question. Was a joy to watch that first season and I can't wait for him to be back playing. I might cry.

Tudgay- Think most people from my generation will disagree, but he was our main goalscoring threat for a number of years. Always worked his socks off, was a great header of a ball and was a guaranteed 10 goals a season when we didn't have a penny to spend. Also that goal against the Pigs will go down in history. Honourable mentions to Steve Maclean, super player who got injured at the wrong time for us. Hooper who ability wise would be in instead of Tudgay but injuries keep him out the side. Nuhiu as well because I love him for Saturday.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

4 minutes ago, sternlad said:

It’s funny how we forget players, I was struggling to think of full backs/ wing backs and saw Dan Petrescu in someone else’s team and I forgot about Brian Marwood who was top drawer on his day. We have had a lot of very good players in our time.

Yep, think this thread proves despite a hell of a lot of garbage, most of us have been treated to seeing some very good players turn out for our beloved Owls.

Even the young uns (who I feel sorry for) manage to get out a half decent team. 

Hopefully in time the Young uns will also be able to name a team with 11 players, who would be able to compete at the top table of English soccer.

Looking back I/we were were lucky to watch that team of the early 90s and though not as talented that Wilkinson team of the mid 80s.

Older people even luckier with the 60s team and some who can even remember Dooley.

Despite all the heartache I wouldn't change our club for any other. If anything the difficult times just make the good ones even sweeter and we will always have the memories.

Here's to more good times, players and memories sooner rather than later UTO!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Yep, think this thread proves despite a hell of a lot of garbage, most of us have been treated to seeing some very good players turn out for our beloved Owls.

Even the young uns (who I feel sorry for) manage to get out a half decent team. 

Hopefully in time the Young uns will also be able to name a team with 11 players, who would be able to compete at the top table of English soccer.

Looking back I/we were were lucky to watch that team of the early 90s and though not as talented that Wilkinson team of the mid 80s.

Older people even luckier with the 60s team and some who can even remember Dooley.

Despite all the heartache I wouldn't change our club for any other. If anything the difficult times just make the good ones even sweeter and we will always have the memories.

Here's to more good times, players and memories sooner rather than later UTO!

Shoot me now! It's never been bloody soccer. Don't know where that came from FOOTBALL.

17 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Brian Marwood was awesome

But Waddle, Carbone, Curran, and Francis were all better

I agree with you.

With regards to Francis he was great, but was at the end of his career. 

I can only imagine how good he was in his prime.

25 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

I agree with you.

With regards to Francis he was great, but was at the end of his career. 

I can only imagine how good he was in his prime.

this is just a sample on how good he was when at his very best back in 1979

• Like 1

On 20/03/2018 at 20:31, lancashireowl said:

Richard O Donnell

Buxton 

Rob Jones

Reda Johnson 

Fox

Potter

Mcgugan

Abdi

McCarthy 

Bothroyd

Leon Clarke

sh*t as your defense is I give you Larry May and Greg Fee WTF:

1 hour ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

this is just a sample on how good he was when at his very best back in 1979

To be fair though I remember him bringing himself off the bench to score the winner against Forest at home for a 2-1 win in 1991/92, quality goal too.

i think he then subbed himself off again lol

Edited by Buford T. Justice
  • Thanks 1