Best Wednesday 11 from your time watching em.

Pressman

Nilsson

Worthington

Pearson

Walker

Carbone

Palmer

Sheridan

Waddle

Hirst

Di Canio

Subs: 

Hodge

Sterland

Anderson

Warhurst

Harkes

Varadi

Marwood

Manager: Big Ron

Other squad members: (if allowed)

Chapman, Alexandersson, Hyde, Bart Williams, Bright, Williams, Lyons. 

First game was in October 84 against Leicester won 5-0 Imre got a hattrick - Aged 6. Addicted. WAWAW

and im 58, vague memories of watching a few games late sixties ,1st game i can actually remember going to was charlton home 1st game back in div 2 , and first vivid memories of a game is Ken Knighton being chaired off, think it was the bolton relegation game and celebrating like we'd won the div 1 title 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

same age as me and think we replicate on 6 players .....Henderson doesn't get near my team but one of the greatest entertainers I've seen down at Hillsboro ...you knew if willie was in the team you were in for some excitement .

Can’t begin to imagine how you could defend against a team with Waddle on one wing and Willie on the other. 

You know Torry, we may never have rampaged through Europe like Man U or Liverpool or Forest, but would we swap our years of watching Wednesday for any other team in the world? 

And who knows, there’s always tomorrow...........

I'll rule out players I haven't seen live, so no Nilsson, Worthington, Pearson, Sheridan, Waddle

Pressman

Simek

Walker

Thome

No left back stands out in my memory. So I'll put Brunt there to fit Carbone in.

Alexandersson

Palmer

Lee

Carbone

Di Canio

Hirst

12 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Think we need to put our age and when we started watching Wednesday on this.

I'm 48 started going early 70s can remember from late 70s. 

My Eleven would be 

1 Pressman

2 Nilson

3 Worthington

4 Walker

5 Lyons

6 Palmer c

7 Sheridan

8 Waddle

9 Hirst

10 Bannister

11 Curran

subs Westwood, Sterland, Warhurst, M Smith, Shelton (I will limit it 5 as I could go on all day)

Manager Atkinson, assisted by Megson (got to fit him in somewhere)

Chairman Wilkinson (with Chansiri's cash)

Interesting to see both older and younger fans views.

This, but di Cano for bannister.......and possibly Hodge or westwood for pressy

Edited by wakefieldowl

On my team would have to be Jeff Johnson , Some may have had more skill ,But for tenacity I very much doubt ,He could go through Butterfield ,Jones and Fox at the same time .He arrived at the time we did not have money to splash about , We were screaming out for a midfield ball winner ,What we ended up with was a welsh warrior . My fav till the day I die.

10 hours ago, attyjake said:

Roland went about his job calmly and professionally without breaking sweat or putting a hair out of place, He was that good.

Although I did love Mel Sterland too, knew him off the pitch saw him in local pubs, we lived in same area.

This

10 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Can’t begin to imagine how you could defend against a team with Waddle on one wing and Willie on the other. 

You know Torry, we may never have rampaged through Europe like Man U or Liverpool or Forest, but would we swap our years of watching Wednesday for any other team in the world? 

And who knows, there’s always tomorrow...........

the fact that at our age we are running out of tomorrows doesn't bode well for us seeing it mate .......:sad:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, twolaptops said:

63 watching from the 1960's........................Springett....Nillson....Pearson Lyons....Snodin..........Di Canio Sheridan Palmer  Waddle........Hirst Bannister......Subs Pressman   Harkes  Curran....Warhurst.....Knight.......Varadi.....Larry May (joke)

Really? Did you miss Worthington and Megson Snr, to name but 2?

3 - 5 - 2 formation

Pressman

Thome - Lyons - Pearson

Nilson                                 Worthington

Waddle - Shez - Palmer 

Di Canio  - Hirst

Subs - Turner - Bannister - Curren - Sterland - King - Francis - Carbone

9 hours ago, Ian said:

Understandable....choosing Sterland instead of Nilsson isn't though!

Nilsson is the one player we've had who would stand a very good chance of getting in a best ever top flight team, never mind a Wednesday XI

This more than anything divides Wednesday fans about past players. I loved Mel, true hero and to see him rampaging down the wing on the overlap in the early to mid 80's was a sight to behold.

However, you are dead right about Nilsson. I would go as far to say that he is the best ever Wednesday player in his position compared to all players playing at the time (does that make sense?). I think the only right back who was in his class in the early 90's was Cafu

Woods

Nillsson      Pearson     Walker       Worthington

Waddle      Sheridan     Palmer      Di Canio

Carbone    

D.Hirst