Best Wednesday 11 from your time watching em.

5 minutes ago, Buford T. Justice said:

I concede the first 3 names but seriously you think a 36 year old Trevor Francis was better than Brian Marwood?

I'll give you that, purely because we had Francis at the very end of his career

But in their prime, Francis was world class, Marwood was good, but nowhere near the level of Francis

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

On 21/03/2018 at 11:08, vickimarino said:

Hodge

Nilsson   Walker    Pearson   Worthington

Waddle   Sheridan   Palmer   Curran

Hirst              Di Canio

Subs: Pressman, Sterland, Lyons, Jonsson, Carbone, Brunt, Chapman, 

This for me. First game 1978. Simply got to have TC in there. 

6 hours ago, Bramhall Owl said:

Agree with this

That chance Bright missed is one you'd dream of to win the Cup, 8 yards with basically an open goal. Arsenal had fallen to bits when we equalised, probably because they'd been all over us and couldn't believe they hadn't got it sewn up. I have no doubt that had Bright scored, we'd have won. It was also Bright that Linighan outjumped for the winner.

This isn't a Bright bashing session nor am I saying that Woods was the best ever but Bright never seems to get any grief for his howler and Woods seems to cop for all the grief (and yes, I was at both derby games when he had shockers). He never let England down until one game (in Norway I think) when he was replaced by Seaman who made many mistakes but that gets airbrushed from history

That Bright miss hurts to this day. If ever a side deserved to finish the season with a major trophy, our 1992/3 side was it. From January to April 93 we were by far the best team in the Country playing unbelievable football. The sheer number of games caught up with us in the end but Bright managed to hit the post when unmarked 8 yards out. Arsenal were rattled and that was THE moment to win it and for me to witness the owls lift the Cup in my lifetime. Fine margins. 

2 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

this is just a sample on how good he was when at his very best back in 1979

I remember watching that match. Though the only thing I can recall is the goal.

My point was having seen him regularly in the twilight of his and seeing for myself the skill, talent and control he still had, I can only imagine how good he must have been at his peak when fully fit healthy and still with pace.

A bit like Waddle you don't realise how good some players are until you see them regularly live. Tv doesn't give you the full picture.

Shame he was one of the first in this country to master the let's say "buying freekicks and Penalties" obviously learnt in Italy.

Pressman

Sterland (nillson before his bad knee injury)

Thome

Walker

Worthington

Waddle

Siggi johnson

Palmer

Marwood

Hirst 

Di canio

Chamberlain, warhurst, shelton, sterland, harkes, carbone, sheridan and dalian atkinson all could easily slot in tho!

Nostalgiaville here.  About (in a fortnight) to enter my 76th year, may I please make my first post, and apologise for bringing back a recent topic which probably seemed well and truly dead and buried.  Couldn't resist sharing some recollections from 67 years of very occasional highs, many shattered dreams and overall a lifetime of what it means to be WAWAW.

Originally from the Buxton area, though for my sins now in Norwich, Dad took me monthly from 1952 via the Hope Valley line.  He wasn't an Owl himself, but had been told about their amazing ground -- this is 1952, remember.  Anyway, I was hooked, saw Froggatt and Dooley a few times, and then came Quixall of the ballet training, Alan Finney, Tom Mac and lamppost Keith Ellis.  Highlights from those years: Nov 59, SW 7 West Ham 0 (Ellis hat-trick in 20 mins, and WMU top of league at the time); Feb 61, Man U  (with their post-Munich stars) 2 SW (under Catterick) 7 (Ellis another  hat-trick).  Then, standing on Leppings among 54,000, 12 Nov 61, SW 2 Spurs 1, Spurs' first defeat.

Then came the betting scandal and it all went pear-shaped, despite the 1966 Final.  But memories are what still demand that I follow every Owls move from afar via Five Live and the pathetic Ch 5 coverage.

For what it's worth 67 years of Owlswatch might produce something like these two elevens.  I include Quixall because he was the supreme artist, even though he wouldn't last more than 5 mins in today's game.  And  Swan, Kay and Layne exclude themselves because of the stigma they left over the club.  As long as Di Canio behaves himself and there are still 22 on the pitch at the end, it could be very close.

A                  Springett R                                               B                Hodge

Nilsson                                                                        Anderson

Walker                                                                         Pearson

Lyons                                                                          Megson D

Worthington                                                                Harkes

Waddle                                                                       Shelton

Palmer                                                                        Quixall

Sheridan                                                                     Eustace

Carbone                                                                     Marwood

Hirst                                                                           Di Canio

Chapman                                                                   Ritchie