Full 90 minutes for Joost Van Aken

The Sheffield Wednesday Under-23s posted a point away at Watford on Monday afternoon, which on another day could have been all three given the level of performance from the visitors.

Neil Thompson’s men largely dominated from the off, created a barrage of chances, hit the woodwork three times but in the end had to settle for a point.

Connor Kirby was the man on target for Wednesday after the break to cancel out Dion Pereira’s first half free kick.

A sense of frustration with the result but a big positive for the Owls was the inclusion of returning defender Joost van Aken, who played the full 90 minutes.

During a strong start to the game, Fraser Preston and Preslav Borukov both saw good chances go begging inside the first ten minutes and the former went closer still when he struck the post midway through the first half.

Kirby then hit the upright with a low angled drive from Joe West’s cutback and all that was missing for Wednesday was the all-important breakthrough.

But against the run of play on 35 minutes, in fortuitous circumstances, Watford went ahead as Pereira’s free kick deceived Dan Wallis and crept over the line.

That was more than harsh on the Owls and it almost got worse before the break but for Wallis denying Dennon Lewis from point blank range from the very next attack.

In-form striker Borukov went close with a curling effort just wide of the mark on 60 minutes, moments before the leveller arrived.

Ashley Baker’s well-hit strike cannoned off the crossbar and Kirby was on hand to smash home on the rebound.

The Owls created one final opening in an attempt to complete the comeback three minutes from time but Borukov’s header was stopped by Nathan Gartside in the last action of note.

Owls: Wallis, Baker, Van Aken, Nielsen, O’Grady (O’Brien 87), Dawodu (Hughes 62), West, J Lee (Brennan 72), Kirby, Preston, Borukov

Owlstalk Shop

I do have to ask when Bannan, Abdi are also meant to be back in training as are Hutch, Fessi, Westwood why are we not taking advance and playing the 3 allowed over age players. 

Where has Abdi disappeared to again - if we stopped paying his wages I bet to would be fit in no time.

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I do have to ask when Bannan, Abdi are also meant to be back in training as are Hutch, Fessi, Westwood why are we not taking advance and playing the 3 allowed over age players. 

Where has Abdi disappeared to again - if we stopped paying his wages I bet to would be fit in no time.

Hutch and Bannan played at the weekend, so I can't see us playing them in such quick succession yet.

The rest might not be available to play, or might be doing some other form of recovery which doesn't involve playing for the 23's.

I think you're wrong about Abdi as well.

One of the players to build a team around next season.

Joost Van Aken, 

Adam Reach, 

Barry Bannan, 

Tom Lees

Jack Hunt,

Kieran Lee, 

Sam Hutchinson, 

Lucas Joao 

Gary Hooper

Fernando Forestieri

Some right quality there, imagine if we can add some successful recruitment to that lot!

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

They daren’t send Fessi to Watford, he might not come back 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

How would not paying his wages make him fit again?

42 minutes ago, Watson said:

How would not paying his wages make him fit again?

Abdi is not injured, is not training is not playing but has no problem picking up his salary.

Stop paying his wages at least he will come to you they you can ask him why the f he is not playing.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Abdi is not injured, is not training is not playing but has no problem picking up his salary.

Stop paying his wages at least he will come to you they you can ask him why the f he is not playing.

I'm sure if he's capable of training then he will be training.  If they stop paying his wages then I would guess they would be in breach of contract. 

Good news indeed to have so many players returning from injury.

I know van Aken has been inconsistent so far, but he's hardly had the most settled team or defence to step into, has he?

I really think there's far more to come from him, and I hope to see him kick on next season. His range of passing is superb for a centre back, and could be a real weapon if used correctly. We just need him to adapt to the speed and physicality of Championship football.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Bit strange that Abdi didn't play unless he's considered fully fit but just not good enough to get in the first team? Glad to see Van Aken back, I'm hoping he'll shine from now until the end of the season in a back 3. I'm a bit apprehensive about the thought of him at LWB but can't knock it until we've tried it I guess.

4 minutes ago, Peake said:

Bit strange that Abdi didn't play unless he's considered fully fit but just not good enough to get in the first team? Glad to see Van Aken back, I'm hoping he'll shine from now until the end of the season in a back 3. I'm a bit apprehensive about the thought of him at LWB but can't knock it until we've tried it I guess.

Abdi is a mystery that the great Poirot would find hard to solve.