Our Highest Paid Player

Guest Arcadianrocket

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

It was assumed so.

It would seem, the Fletcher signing was the cause of the exponential inflation of our wages. 

Previously, estimating, I'd say Forestieri signed from Watford for £15k/week, and then Hooper may well have come in and got £20k. Which is fair enough...top Championship teams have to pay that for their best players.

Then Fletcher came in...on a 4 year deal...and I reckon he collects £30-35k/week. Abdi followed...probably on £25-30k/week, and Forestieri is left there, thinking "I'm the clubs best player, and yet I'm on half of what these new guys are on." Forestieri I reckon will be on £25-30k/week now, after his new contract.

And then, you'll have the old guard, who when signed were on relatively modest wages. Lees, Lee, Hutchinson, Westwood...all who became key players along with these top earners, and all who were awarded new contracts. Those four will be on £18-20k/week easily. 

It doesn't take long for a sustainable FFP model, to be totally blown out of the water. And it's just a natural progression caused by hugely shifting the wage cap for one player. The club had two choices: reward the players with (deserved) new contracts...or sell. And they choose the reward option. Of which, all fans would've agreed with at the time. 

I also think their wages will have increased because we were a better team, they had proved their worth and might have been tempted away for better wages if we didn't pay them what they were worth.

I'm all for rewarding players who progress with better contracts. That's what I'd do with you young players who have just signed new contracts, if they become good squad players pay them more and extend the contract, if they become first team regulars, another rise, first name on the team sheet even more. Once that becomes established club policy and the youngsters see it happening in practice they will be happy to stay here.

No evidence to base these estimates, but I reckon they won't be far off. 

Remember the accounts released were for the 2016/17 season, and so the wages of Boyd, Van Aken & Pelupessy won't be included. 

Total wage budget of nearly £26m, leave around £4m in wages throughout the club...coaching and medical staff, scouts, academy and U23 players, Joe Palmer's wage, groundsmen, auxilliary staff etc. It's worth bearing in mind, that I think the total number of employees the club had was 249. There's only 34 players factored into these figures...so there's another 215 additional salaries (one of which will be substantial, Palmer's) to be considered. 

An average wage of £18,000/year, for 200 employees, totals £3.6m. Of course, many reception, support staff will be part time, but coaching staff etc. will demand far bigger salaries than £18,000/year. Joe Palmer's salary alone would be over £100k a year I'd bet. 

I don't think these figures will be a million miles off. 

Wages Estimations.png

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I heard Rhodes was on £55kpw.  Also heard Bannan is on less than half that.  

8 minutes ago, Owlsman82 said:

Heard the same, plus 10k goal and win bonuses!

55kpw then 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, prowl said:

I also think their wages will have increased because we were a better team, they had proved their worth and might have been tempted away for better wages if we didn't pay them what they were worth.

I'm all for rewarding players who progress with better contracts. That's what I'd do with you young players who have just signed new contracts, if they become good squad players pay them more and extend the contract, if they become first team regulars, another rise, first name on the team sheet even more. Once that becomes established club policy and the youngsters see it happening in practice they will be happy to stay here.

I agree.

For many of the contracts that Wednesday have given out, you cannot knock the club. Lees, Hutchinson, Lee, Bannan, Hutchinson...all were key players in a promotion chasing side, and deserved new deals to keep them at the club.

The catalyst for the staggering growth in wages, in my opinion, stemmed from the Fletcher transfer. Hooper may have initially pushed the bar slightly higher...but Fletcher blew the rest out of the water. Then Abdi was signed, and would've demanded similar, and suddenly, that bar is now so high, that any new deal offered to existing players, has to close the gap between the existing wage and the newly raised ceiling wage. 

1 hour ago, Owl999 said:

Rhodes 50k a week 

He was on 60k at boro which is what a 12 million pound signing gets paid. I've guessed he is on 50k here as his contract is a year longer than at boro .I'd say forestieri and fletcher are on appx 40k a wk , if ever our wage bill per player was ever printed our eyes would be out of our sockets . This is whats killing our club. Remember other bad times in clubs history all were totally different .in 1975 when club had worst run in history relegation was not the end of world as nearly the entire turnover wad from crowds and we had 1 of biggest supports so club would always bounce back. This situation is very serious ,only mass player sales in summer will avert imediate damage. 

32 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

No evidence to base these estimates, but I reckon they won't be far off. 

Remember the accounts released were for the 2016/17 season, and so the wages of Boyd, Van Aken & Pelupessy won't be included. 

Total wage budget of nearly £26m, leave around £4m in wages throughout the club...coaching and medical staff, scouts, academy and U23 players, Joe Palmer's wage, groundsmen, auxilliary staff etc. It's worth bearing in mind, that I think the total number of employees the club had was 249. There's only 34 players factored into these figures...so there's another 215 additional salaries (one of which will be substantial, Palmer's) to be considered. 

An average wage of £18,000/year, for 200 employees, totals £3.6m. Of course, many reception, support staff will be part time, but coaching staff etc. will demand far bigger salaries than £18,000/year. Joe Palmer's salary alone would be over £100k a year I'd bet. 

I don't think these figures will be a million miles off. 

Wages Estimations.png

Think most of list wont be far wrong . But forestieri there is no way he is earning less than fletcher after his spat. And with Rhodes only joining Jan 31st he only adds 4 months to wage bill on accounts .so I reckon wage bill upto may 31st 2018 will be even higher 27-28 million ,and there is nothing club can now do to avert this .so that's why I'm sure deals have already been agreed for some players to leave in may and that would explain some of the mystery whats going on. 

Restructuring our squad, finances and wage bill is gonna need some seriously good management. I’d say Winnall, Reach ,Bannan , Joao , FF and Lees are all very sellable assets which we could make big profits on, to counter this we would lose fortunes on Fletch,Rhodes,Abdi and Matias. I believe it can be done to get us competitive again. Do I trust Chansiri and Jos to do so? No   

Guest Arcadianrocket
2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Can you explain how FF has earned his stripes, but not Fletcher?

FF 12 goals last season.

Fletcher 11 goals last season. In fewer games.

You ignore FF first season where at times he single handled carried us to the playoffs.

His infectious pressing spread throughout the team and we don't half miss him.

We don't miss Fletcher.

Fernando also sets up plenty. Without him in the side you only have to look at our league position.

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

It was assumed so.

It would seem, the Fletcher signing was the cause of the exponential inflation of our wages. 

Previously, estimating, I'd say Forestieri signed from Watford for £15k/week, and then Hooper may well have come in and got £20k. Which is fair enough...top Championship teams have to pay that for their best players.

Then Fletcher came in...on a 4 year deal...and I reckon he collects £30-35k/week. Abdi followed...probably on £25-30k/week, and Forestieri is left there, thinking "I'm the clubs best player, and yet I'm on half of what these new guys are on." Forestieri I reckon will be on £25-30k/week now, after his new contract.

And then, you'll have the old guard, who when signed were on relatively modest wages. Lees, Lee, Hutchinson, Westwood...all who became key players along with these top earners, and all who were awarded new contracts. Those four will be on £18-20k/week easily. 

It doesn't take long for a sustainable FFP model, to be totally blown out of the water. And it's just a natural progression caused by hugely shifting the wage cap for one player. The club had two choices: reward the players with (deserved) new contracts...or sell. And they choose the reward option. Of which, all fans would've agreed with at the time. 

And people are saying to throw silly money at Hirst.  that would have the same effect but lower down the club.

37 minutes ago, swinners said:

And people are saying to throw silly money at Hirst.  that would have the same effect but lower down the club.

No one knows what hirst was offered. All we know is that he was offered to be best paid youngster at the club..... he’s looking at players past their best getting silly money and he’s the best prospect to come out the club for years. 

Edited by owlmanc

5 hours ago, AracdianDreamer said:

With all the talk of wages and FFP, does anyone have any idea who our best paid player is and how much roughly they are on a week?

I thought with all the ITK posters on here someone would have  rough idea. Be interesting to find out who it is.

At the steering group tonight Chansiri played a game of guess the wage - top and lowest earner (striker only) 

top was under 35k (so possibly 34) and lowest was 8k.

Also came out that Urby Emmanuelson was on 13k, not bad value for 1 appearance!!

11 minutes ago, hopevalleyowl said:

At the steering group tonight Chansiri played a game of guess the wage - top and lowest earner (striker only) 

top was under 35k (so possibly 34) and lowest was 8k.

Also came out that Urby Emmanuelson was on 13k, not bad value for 1 appearance!!

Just to be clear that wasn't a joke that actually happened, left at 10pm

Main points discussed before I left were:

- Player Recruitment/Strategy

- Doyen involvement

- Reason for injuries/any truth in contractual rumours 

- negative and inaccurate reports on social media

- FFP and likely transfer imbargo

- Player wages/contracts

- Terror threats and security 

- Stadium capacity increased 

- Improvements to megastore merchandise and online shop

- Introducing pre match family zone outside megastore 

left ft after the above was discussed at 10pm. Someone will do a better job than me at summarising what was said.

We have several players each earning from £1.5M to £1.65M per year.
That is the main reason we will blow FFP out of the water, we had to be promoted within 3-years but preferably just 2-years.

Sheffield Wednesday will give defender Tom Lees, 25, a new deal worth £25,000 a week in a bid to ward off interest from Burnley, Derby and Fulham.

Then we have FF, Fletcher, Hooper, Rhodes, Wildesmith, Pudil, Bannan, Reach, Boyd, Winnall, Joao.
I would be surprised if any of the above were on less than Lees.