When did you fall in love with our club?

When my Dad and uncles all blades took me to watch the Owls v Blackpool 59/60 season...I'm sure they went to see Stan Matthews but Stood on the old wooden Leppings Lane under the scoreboard...I was hooked. Nothing in my life apart from Soul music has had that effect on me...end of

• Like 3

Around Christmas time 1960 (I think)

West Ham riding high at top of 1st division. Wednesday mid table

Wednesday lineup was Springett Johnson Megson McAnearney Swan Kay Finney Fantham Ellis Quinn (or maybe Craig) Wilkinson.

Owls unplayable and race into 4-0 half time lead ,with Kay scoring from half way line, and running out 7-0 winners.

It wasn't my first match but that afternoon they became my team forever.

Anybody else remember that game ... tell me if I got the team wrong

• Like 1

feb 62 so would have been 8 and didn't  support any club  ..went with my blunt mate and his dad for the derby which we lost but that didn't matter as I was smitten by it all ...the size of the place  with 50000 in was overwhelming and decided this was the club for me despite the result . 

Playing on my Grandads back garden (up on Galsworthy/Donovan way) and being able to hear the fans at the ground.

We'd run into the house when we heard a goal and sit waiting for Teletext to load.

There was a mystery that surrounded it for years. 

Edited by Matt_1

Born in 1967 in the flats  on the spine of the hill at Foxhill. As a Toddler can remember hearing the roar from Hillsborough when we scored. I knew my Dad and Grandad were there but obviously didn’t know what it was all about. Have a vague memory of being on the Leppings Lane Terrace with them for the Santos game in February 72. First real memory of a match though was the Southend game in 76. Eric Potts was my favourite player!  My first away game was Lincoln also in 76 but the following season - Roger Wilde scored in a 1-1 draw , there were a lot of Wednesdayites there that day! 

Was born with blue and white blood. Went to see The team come home after the cup final in 1966. Started going to reserve games in 68. First home game was against Arsenal in early 69. We lost 5-0, John Radford scored hat rick , but I was hooked!!!

August 1978. Away game v  Peterborough.  My home was in Essex at the time so it was a relatively near fixture. My future brother in law and his mates took me and my brother. We lost and failed to score in front of what seemed to me like a massive away following (so beginning a trend that has continued for 40 years in the majority of my away days with Wednesday).  The most famous thing to me seemed to be that Big Jack was the manager. We wore the yellow bukta kit. Could not understand how a third division side could have so many fans and make such a racket watching such utter garbage (at the time my Dad used to regularly take me to see Bobby Robson's Ipswich - then one of the best teams in the country so watching Wednesday wasn't quite like what I was used to and though I came to love them both Mike Pickering and Andy McCulloch were hardly Kevin Beattie and Paul Mariner). And I fell in love. Didn't expect to and it just pretty much happened out of the blue. As often said, you don't choose Wednesday, Wednesday choose you.   Also saw us lose away to Colchester and Southend that year if memory serves. Think the first time I saw us win was at Hillsborough  the following Easter ( on a rare visit there whilst oop North visiting my Dad's mum in Sheffield). We thrashed Chessie 4-0.  All been downhill from there...

When Rebecca Kennedy packed me when I was 16 in 1988. My old man had been taking me to the match from the age of 11, but thing was I think I just liked the time with my dad. Unfortunately, my brother came and he was a bellend. I remember I just used to will the second half away as I was bored. But I loved going; getting some chips, and having a sip of his pints, and I got a buzz from the crowd and the noise......but the match itself was a bit meh.

But when Rebecca came along I missed a lot of matches, the chance of some stink finger or a hand shandy was far more alluring. There was some tension at home, but I was randy, and Rebecca is probably suffering from rsi. But then she met Chris Randal with his wanky blonde quiff and minging trench coat. I spent the summer listening to the Smith's and spanking it rotten over my well thumbed copies of Razzle.

But then the 88/89 season started I started back at the matches with my dad and my brother, oddly I realised he wasn't a bellend. I got the same buzz, and the pub's let me have ale. More importantly I realised lasses came and went over the next few years, but Wednesday is forever.

Edited by Anus

This is probably the greatest thread and should be pinned forever in my opinion.

So many great stories that sum up why we are Wednesday and not anything else.

Me, I'm born in walkley 1967, dad takes me to my first game in 1973 - not a great time to start I know but I was hooked.

1974 I made him get us a season ticket. Midweek games at Rotherham, Mansfield, been lifted over turnstiles to get in for free. Memories of players, too many to mention.

Dodgy away trips, Chelsea, Millwall, Derby, Leeds and as I got into my teens ashamed now to say that I got drawn into the hooligan culture and did things I'm not proud of.

I could go on but I'll try to sum it up, attended cup final in 1991, all Wembley trips in 1993 and play off final v Hull when it was me, dad, sister and nephew, all the generations together and that's what Wednesday is, a family, transcends generations, in your blood. I'm Wednesday, don't have a second, a favourite other team, I'm Wednesday, that's it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Man City at home , April 1970 , when we got  relegated from 1st Division, 46,000.

Playing in their then away kit like AC Milan's, City tried to throw game to keep us up and we still lost. Not a lot changes.

But this was soon followed by Pele at Hillsbrough with Santos - weekday afternoon as electricity rationed, due to miners' strike.

We all wagged school that day. Brilliant.

Same here

Bowyer scored for City seemed to be the only one trying for them I even remember their player telling the keeper where he was going to put the pen.

We were very good late 60's

Santos game told we'd be in trouble if we went to the match but we all went.

Good memories

59 minutes ago, Owl247 said:

This is probably the greatest thread and should be pinned forever in my opinion.

I agree. Born in Heeley Dad a blade but mum hope valley girl an owl. Mid seventies both now and still getting updates of scores on their phones.

Think unted even got prometed that year,82, but the buzz of S6 kicked in.

Edited by Dalian

Have loved reading these stories....for me it was probably Ken Knighton to blame.  In April 74, at my Nan's house in Warmsworth, the usual Saturday afternoon ritual of World of Sport was in full swing.  Dickie Davies had seamlessly run through the half times and handed over to Kent Walton who was welcoming "grapple fans" (of which my nan was undoubtedly one) from some godforsaken leisure centre somewhere.  The usual hush descended only to be broken by dad asking nan if he could borrow her transistor radio to follow Radio Sheffield.  

He beckoned young me (aged four and three quarters) in to the kitchen and explained the gravity of the situation while we cleared what was left on the 3 tier cake stand nan used to ask mum to put out at 3.45 every Saturday (mainly fondant fancies from what I remember).  Dad gave me a beginners course in how league tables worked (I probably struggled with goal average) and explained Wednesday had to beat Bolton to stay up.

We did, courtesy of a late Ken Knighton goal (although I think we'd have been safe with a draw as it turned out) and I was hooked.  We went home for tea and I couldn't wait for next season.  Next season was the worst in our history, we won five games.  I saw my first match, a 1-0 defeat at home to Millwall on Easter Saturday 75 in that run when we didn't score for about four months.

Whenever, as today, we face Bolton at home, I think back to huddling round that radio with a warm smile.

Now someone pass me a cake. 

• Like 2