When did you fall in love with our club?

14 minutes ago, OzOwl said:

Wednesday. v’s Palace at Villa park 1973 second replay, the desire we showed that night still brings a tear.

A magnificent performance, thought our chance had gone following a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough where wee willie was MOM. Next at Palace it was David Sunleys chance leveling the score in injury time on his 21st Birthday to nail a second replay. Wednesday were now up for this tie and we took more than 15K in a 19K+ crowd for Brian Joicey and his all time best performance for the Owls. It had been a great game at full time it stood at 2-2 Joicey netting twice. We were on the Holte end defending in the first period of extra time, still 2-2 and Palace in the ascendancy but with time running out right in front of us a cross came in from the left to the near post Joicey got there first with his head to bury the chance and launch one of those crazy celebrations Wednesday fans deliver from time to time..        

• Like 1

For me it was when i was around 5 years old i would guess. I was watching goals on Sunday on ITV and Wednesday had just been relegated, showed pictures of the crowd and some fans where crying. It really struck a chord with me and ive been in love with the club ever since. Should have known when i saw fans crying that it wouldnt always been plain sailing supporting this amazing club. When my Dad took me to see my first game the following season it was one of the most memorable days of my life, we actually lost but just being in this massive stadium surrounded by people singing and clapping blew my mind. My Dad tells me i just sat there not saying a word just smiling for the whole game.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

A magnificent performance, thought our chance had gone following a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough where wee willie was MOM. Next at Palace it was David Sunleys chance leveling the score in injury time on his 21st Birthday to nail a second replay. Wednesday were now up for this tie and we took more than 15K in a 19K+ crowd for Brian Joicey and his all time best performance for the Owls. It had been a great game at full time it stood at 2-2 Joicey netting twice. We were on the Holte end defending in the first period of extra time, still 2-2 and Palace in the ascendancy but with time running out right in front of us a cross came in from the left to the near post Joicey got there first with his head to bury the chance and launch one of those crazy celebrations Wednesday fans deliver from time to time..        

Beautiful,

I remember the centre page of the Mirror the next day “ReJoiceying” with a beaming Joicey

It was 17th nov 1951-- my first home game . Dooley scored twice in a 2-1 win. It was my 5th birthday and was treated to a car ride in the local grocers car a Ford V8 Pilot like the one in the pic . It was the smartest car in Deepcar  at the time and it was the first car I remember that wasnt black  ( good old Henry had learned how to paint cars in different colours about then:biggrin: )

I can just remember being passed to the front to squat  on the low wall and watched the game through the loop in the top of the railings hanging on for dear life. Being a Wednesdayite I feel as though we have been hanging on since then:rolleyes:.5aa29654725bb_fordv8.jpg.1bc72ce9599e475655a1a923204eb1e8.jpg

Edited by Tarquin
  • Like 2

Went on Riley's coaches from Rotherham town centre we beat Coventry 4-0 it was 1967 I think , 8 years old I've been hooked ever since , had some amazing days , had some awful ones , made lifelong friends many who I still go with now , been a season ticket holder since 1972 , hopefully will be for many more years to come . 

From watching the 66 cup final though I had been with my dad to a few games before that. That day I cried and been hooked ever since. Had a season ticket in the early 70s then went working abroad,but had one since 78/79 season and got one for another 6 years WTID.

24 minutes ago, wexowl said:

From a distance (Ireland) 1958. Didn't get over until Jan '69 Cup v Leeds . Hillsborough packed .atmosphere stratospheric......... Can't shake off the bloody disease even now.

Remember losing a shoe when the crowd surged forward , stewards let me sit on the running track to watch rest of the game , and my dad giving me a backie up herris road back to the car after the game .

Late-season 1969 with my late Uncle Jem (aka WolfManJack in these parts).. Don't remember the game itself but I'm reliably informed we lost 0-5 home to Arsenal and I got lost at the back of the (then) relatively-new North Stand... My first away game I do remember was a 0-4 loss at Wrexham in the old 2nd division early 1980s.

Very early sixties was my first memory we used to live close to Olive Grove but all our family were Owls , My uncle had the Park Hotel at the time and we used to play in the yard at the back before the games while my dad was having a drink, by 1966 we had moved over to Walkley and my dad bought 2 Season Tickets for the new West stand after the World cup and my grandad or my uncle used to take me to home games . 

1966 for me.
FA cup final and World Cup games at Hillsborough. 
My dad bought me a booklet of tickets for the games.
It was all too much for my young brain. The defeat to Everton, the international flags along Penistone Rd.
I went into meltdown and have never been right since.

Edited by HarrowbyOwl
  • Haha 1

Well my first match was 1991 against QPR I was 6 years old. We won 4-1, Carlton Palmer scored a hat trick and John Sheridan the other.

We finished 3rd that year, I though the good times would stay forever.

How wrong was I!

Had season ticket since 2005, wont not get one, love it too much!

Told the wife that on our wedding day!

• Like 1

My friends dad took us to the 1986 Fa cup quarters with 49,000 there..I was quite small so I probably didnt know what was going on.

The whole ground exploded when Megson scored and I used to rewind that bit on the betamax religiously..Still gives me goosbumps

And spose I was lucky at what came in the few years after.

Probably the whole reason why me and my brother go is we grew up 3 doors down from our friends who's family are Wednesday obsessed.