When did you fall in love with our club?

My first ever game. 

Sheffield Wednesday 1 - 7 Nottingham Forest

That's how I know I'm Wednesday till I die. If I can love them with that being my first ever game I know it's unconditional love lol

• Thanks 1

Great thread.

Remember my dad carrying me and my brother through the turnstiles on a regular basis when we were small kids in the early 70’s. If you could carry your kids you didn’t pay for them, think that was the logic.

Best game without any shadow of a doubt was the Boxing Day massacre. I think that day was one of the happiest of our lives.

I still go with my brother, his lad (who’s in his early 20’s) and my lad who’s 4. Can’t beat it!

UTO

2 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

My first time on the Kop - Southampton at home 92/93

Think we had another trip to Wembley coming up as we rested most of the team. 

I sat on a crush barrier with my dad stood behind it with his arms around me 

Wednesday won 5-2 and Bart-Williams got a hat trick. 

remember this game well as we were fined by the FA for fielding an under strength team!!!

1970 for me, the season after we'd been relegated from Div.1 and the start of the dark ages (part 1) mi' dad finally decided to take me - never forgiven him.

I'm getting my own back as I keep dragging him down there now!!

First game was a 1-1 draw with Norwich but the first one I enjoyed is when we beat Fulham 4-0 and I remember looking round at that big box scoreboard we had on the Kop.

If you're like me you didn't fall in love with Sheffield Wednesday. You were simply born a Wednesdayite so it's a bit like the club being part of your family. Only a few of us reject family even though they can be completely annoying at times.

2 hours ago, Lee Strafford said:

It was 1982 for me, my late farther had taken me to my first game after we have moved back to Sheffield from Cyprus, after he had left the army.

I was nine/ten years old, and til that point he had told me stories of Wednesday so there was already big seed planted in my soul.

We were stood in the bottom of the leppings lane corner right at the fence, it was raining and cold, a cross came in, and Andy McCulloch jumped 'through' two defenders and the goalkeeper to power home a header, everyone went mental.......that was me done - love for Wednesday (which has been indescribably tested since) cemented.

Sitting on this train travelling back north I don't actually remember who we were playing that day, but the programme is in the loft at home so I might have to dig it out this weekend......

What is your falling into the black hole gravitational pull story?

Blimey Lee, some time ago that's for sure!

1970 I think, my grandad, who had been a lifelong wednesdayite took me to my first match at home to Carlisle in the old second division, which we won 3 - 0

My grandad was delighted, next match we went to, they lost of course lol

By rights I should be a blunt as my dad and grandad were blunts, however, a couple of kids at school I was friends with were Wednesday. 

Late 70's it was one of my pals birthdays and his dad took 5 of us on the Kop. I was 7 at the time. No idea who we were playing or score, just remember never seeing so many people all in the same place, remember standing at the front as there was plenty of room there. 

The 5 of us got ST in 1984 (think they were £24), and being 11/12 yrs old went to the matches by ourselves (cheap buses).

Lost contact with 3 of the lads but the other I sit next to in the North, followed SWFC all over. Good times.

Early to mid 60's....first game I can really remember apart from Wembley '66 was the 5/4 Man Utd....but before that..I remember sitting in the bottom of the South, looking mesmerised at the Kop heaving...Me Uncle said I hardly watched the game...Which is funny, cos I still hardly watch it now lol

• Like 1

My father and my uncle took me to my first game in 1962, the opposition was Aston Villa, being 4 year old at the time, I remember naff all about it. I must have enjoyed it because they took me often, until the very early seventies when I started going with a mate. I can't honestly say when I fell in love with Wednesday, I simply don't remember, I think my earliest hero was Tommy Craig, My dad used to worship, Springett, Swan, Megson, Layne and Fantham. He never stopped talking about them.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

My dad was one of those strange fans that liked any football and went to watch all local teams..

He took me to see the snortbeasts in 76 and s6 in the same season. I was 11.

Never in doubt for me. Never went t'lane again except to watch wednesday, hated the place.

Remember my first night match at s6, seeing that grass lit up and the cold night air..just amazing.

On the pitch Vs Southend last game of the season to stop up, love affair had started. 

I really got passionately into football during euro 96 when I would've been 7.

My first Wednesday game was our first home game of the season against Villa which we won. I thought the whole experience was amazing. We were top of the league by the end of August, it's been downhill league position wise ever since 

:duntmatter:

it must have been 1953 ish on the kop with my dad sadly he died in 55 so I would have been 6.

Not the best of experinces I was hit in the face by a mis directed shot in the warm up. My dad lost me on the way home so i was on my way to hammerton rd police station with some guy when i was recongnised by a neighbour who took me home. I mean after that lot to go again you must be in love or crazy. I will say in love

At 5 year old in 1960 the old man took me to see a cup match against Man. U which we must have drawn because the following week he took me to the replay at Old Trafford , which if my memory is correct we won 7-2. I've actually wrote that on the front of the programme.

Been hooked ever since and very occasionally take him (now 87) to odd games when he feels upto it.

He constantly talks about Derek Dooley and how defenders today couldn't have lived with him, as they are all sissies.

I was fortunate enough some years ago to meet Derek and he kindly wrote a personal note to him on a programme, one of his treasured possessions.

• Like 2

1982. From a half and half family so had been to a few matches on both sides before with no real affinity. 

Last games of that season went to lane then us Norwich. It just grabbed me that day, in the sun, "wer're not going up you're not" chants.

13 then and hooked since.