DISGRACEFUL

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Wonder what would happen IF a central body like the FA set the prices as standard for every club

e.g. it's £25 for every club each game in any seat and no more no less, apart from away fans who are £20

Under 23's get in for a quid a game

Sorted

Absolutely. Its time that the FA started being a governing organisation and stopped kow towing to the clubs. They should:

Bring in fixed ticket pricing structures for every division.

Squad wage expenditure caps by division

Squad size caps

Limits on payments to players under 25

Limits on replica kit pricing and frequency of re-design.

At the moment football is in thrall to money and the vast sums of cash going into players and agents pockets while facilities and grass roots pitches are left underfunded.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

For that you can get cineworld cards for two adults to go see as many movies they want for an entire month

Movies are movies, they never change from one performance to the next.

Football is theatre where you have a loyalty to one side as the drama unfolds.

There is no movie in the world that could have sprung that ref on Saturdsy and created the feeling and aftermath from a live, involved audience actually playing a role in the drama.

No comparison.

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

I think though to many people it's not a case of not going golfing, but other necessities that are more crucial to their lives

Only problem is if they don't go then the truefans come on shouting at them "How many games do you go to?" etc etc

It's not great if you can't afford to go and it's a really recent phenomenon

It's also something that as a fanbase we need to realise, come to terms with and understand how best to deal with it because long term calling those who can't afford to go names, and calling them not proper fans etc isn't going to be a winner for anyone concerned

It's worrying

Its not though, during the late 70’s I couldn’t afford to pay the gate prices and the only way I could get a kop ticket was to sell Development tickets. I wasn’t the only one doing it so that we could watch our team.

Just now, sonofbert2 said:

Movies are movies, they never change from one performance to the next.

Football is theatre where you have a loyalty to one side as the drama unfolds.

There is no movie in the world that could have sprung that ref on Saturdsy and created the feeling and aftermath from a live, involved audience actually playing a role in the drama.

No comparison.

There is a comparison though as it's an alternative form of entertainment

Same as Xbox, PS4, home cinema, eating out, dinner parties and everything else that competes now with matches

The emotional attachment to the football comes from repeated visits

If fans aren't able to connect with their clubs on a longer term basis then they'll choose the alternatives if they're priced out

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not just that though

Some fans or families can only afford the odd game so will choose the big ones and not the ones deemed that bad that the prices get reduced for them

Don't get me wrong, I totally get it.  I'd hate to be in that position.  

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

If they had made a similar offer for the Villa game...full house.....no doubt in my mind..

The cup...??....Football clubs have devalued it for years...it filters down to the fans....

There might have been another 5k there but not a chance it would be full.  That price was squarely aimed at the large travelling Villa contingent.  We know how many season ticket holders we have and that even at £10 a ticket we might only add 5-6k to the gate.  By making it £39 for Villa the overall revenue is massive.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

True that

Football clubs play the reserves in the cup so the perception is that the cups are worthless and not valued therefore the fans value it less too

Because get what, customers don't like being short changed.  They want value for money.  But still demand not to be treat like consumers.

Just not bothered...

1 minute ago, cactus said:

Its not though, during the late 70’s I couldn’t afford to pay the gate prices and the only way I could get a kop ticket was to sell Development tickets. I wasn’t the only one doing it so that we could watch our team.

Yeah fair point but I'd suggest that it's way way worse now

You only have to look at the % price rise in how expensive football is vs the average wage minus the increased living expenses

Owlstalk Shop

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How does that equate to being able to afford something or not?

Ps - did you have to pass a credit check during the application process?

Yes but my credit rating is very poor, my repayments were around the cost of 3 1/2 games a month for 10 months then free for next 2 years, are you expecting people to not have to pay at all?

15 minutes ago, g-owls said:

Here we go... It's Bingo time.

"Go watch someone else"

Guess what?

Some people can't commit to a season ticket as they might work shifts etc, most people don't want to watch another team and some people certainly aren't prepared to sit on their hands and accept getting shafted.

As for the cup games you've mentioned. I went to them all, some people didn't because a season ticket might just be their limit.

£42 they wanted for a POTG fan against Villa in the North Stand on Saturday.

Yet we’ve our best gates in years, and I’m not getting at the season ticket holders with the cup games I’m pointing towards the moaners who claim they don’t come because of the prices, I also went to all 4 b cause they were cheap.

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

For those saying that reducing the prices doesn't' guarantee bigger attendances I'd put it to them that if we charged £42 on the North Stand for the earlier rounds of the FA Cup then we'd not have got anywhere near the attendance we did for them.

But if we'd charged £39 the difference would have been negligible.  

It's about pricing brackets.  £1 would have seen 25,000, £25 maybe 10,000

Just not bothered...

8 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Of course they can't.  They have to price their product in such a way as to appeal to enough fans that they sell the maximum they can without selling themselves short.  It's a fine balance because if they over price it people won't pay and won't come back.  But under price it and they fall short on FFP.

Why?  Why are MK Dons any different to us?  Other than I have 0 feeling for them and love Wednesday?

Do you think Sheffield Wednesday would give 1 single f*ck if I didn't turn up next week, or the week after?  

The sentiment is one way.  You don't seem to be able to separate passion and emotions from facts about business.

When our mate was still alive,  He wasn't able to go for medical reasons,  After he'd missed nearly half a season,, someone from the club rang him and asked if there was a problem.  He explained his situation and said he wouldn't be renewing for the next season.  They said no they would keep his seat for him until he was in a position to renew,   Which they did,  That I know for a fact because no one was sat next to me for 2 seasons.

So yes, I would say they give a f*ck.

I go to watch Wednesday because I want to..

because I can .

I love the drive home after victory ..

Im the world champion on Monday morning dodging the flack .....

I'm a humble Wednesdayite ..

My Dad and Grandads made me that way ...

I don't want any Medals for this 

They got them for a more deserving cause .......

I love them just like I love The Wednesday .....

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

When our mate was still alive,  He wasn't able to go for medical reasons,  After he'd missed nearly half a season,, someone from the club rang him and asked if there was a problem.  He explained his situation and said he wouldn't be renewing for the next season.  They said no they would keep his seat for him until he was in a position to renew,   Which they did,  That I know for a fact because no one was sat next to me for 2 seasons.

What season was that mate?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

You're right, I was being glib.  The lady who died in front of me and had renewed for next season, her son was offered a refund on her ticket.  She had stated that she wanted the money to go to the club so the seat remained unsold for the year.

But you know the point I was making.

They aren't the only business who care about their customers.

Just not bothered...