The facts post Millwall

This reminds me of that faintly amusing  challenge "Defend the Indefensible".  

JL supposedly prioritised the league and risked the ire of fans with his FA Cup team and then repeated the trick with bells on with his selection for the Den. Even with a weakened squad, it has been baffling. 

It isn't a question of being a clapper a moaner or playing Championship manager but it is part of the malarkey of being a fan to argue about team selection since week in week out we form our own opinions about players. 

Just as I have disagreed in the past with Jack Charlton (who the heck is Mel Sterland?), Bilko (Ian Cranson?wtf), Ron, Tricky, Pleaty, Wilsony, Jewelly etc I don't feel less of an Owl if I disagree with a bloke who has been to Hillsborough less times than mi Mam. 

JL might turn out to be a success but those last two line ups have looked more like Magath than Mourinho. It worries me precisely because I am a fan that if JL carries on being more enigmatic than pragmatic, I fear for him, for the fans and for the club. 

The 'Better' players are coming back, it's a case of keeping our heads until they do come back, or do we rush them back too soon?.

I don't know, or pretend to be in the know, if all the players available are fit, look at Rhodes for instance maybe their is a bug doing the rounds in the club, but the manager and training staff see the players every day.

It's the nature of the beast that we call supporters to be fickle, at every club no matter what league they are in.

3 hours ago, Morepork said:

This I agree with. I feel he was maybe encouraged by recent results and felt we could still do a job at the Den. As you say, I'd have maybe gone all out for those points and accepted the outcome vs Villa. You can look at it as a very negative approach last night but in a perverse way, it was almost positive, if that makes sense. Regardless, lesson learnt I hope. I'm not prepared to be too critical given the mess he's inherited. Just add that those individual errors are killing us at times.

I wouldn't get to upset at last night losing 2-1 against a side 6 games unbeaten no side in the top ten has taken 3pts at millwall and they have only been beaten at home 4 times in 37 games over the last 2 seasons , you have some good players you won't go down you will probably get to safety with about half a dozen games to go  good turn out from your fans for a Tuesday night good luck for the rest of the season

• Thanks 2

You can't rest ALL of your forwards at once. How can you not expect the ball to just keep coming back at you?

Last night's team selection was an epic mistake for Jos, and he'll just have to take that on the chin.

We move on, and just hope the forthcoming games allow us to forget about this quickly.

3 hours ago, modboy said:

Last night's match was the easiest on paper of the upcoming matches. 

Should have gone for it last night against an equally pants team (who surprise surprise we made look like Barca).

Lose next two and we could be in real trouble having failed to win last night.

Was it? I'd argue a couple of the home games coming up are 'easier' than Millwall away.

10 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I want SWFC to be successful as much as anyone. But the ridiculous knee jerk reactions to JL are a disgrace. It would be a recipe for disaster to play his best 11 every game with the amount of games in last 2 weeks and the next fortnight to come. All that would do is burn out our only 1st team players proper and increase the number of influential players on he injury list. All of which are the last thing we need and would deffo put us deeper in the mire.

Squad rotation is needed more when the number of games increase and is even more important with a small squad of fit players and with a team that could easily be dragged further into a relegation battle. JL is the best man for the job, and even if he wasn't he is what we have got. The last thing we need is the band wagon of the negative "i know what is wrong" sayers starting with toxic tripe slating everything from the youth players to team selection.

Fans are supposed to support ! and the team needs that more than any of the poo thats been said by the vocal minority of morans who already decided our manager not good enough for the job. Opinions are fine but give the guy chance and then make an informed decision, its far to early to write him off and all the true SUPPORTERS are going to back to the manager and team until it's obvious a different manager could do a better job. ATM thats deffo not the case.

Didnt see anyone writing him off.

All I saw was people criticizing a weird team selection and a defensive post match interview.

For a OP supposedly about facts, it’s quite ironic how few facts and how many opinions it contained

9 hours ago, modboy said:

Should have gone for it last night against an equally pants team (who surprise surprise we made look like Barca).

Millwall’s home form is really strong. Unbeaten in 6, one defeat in ten.

Compare that with our dreadful away form. 

That was was always going to be one hell of a tough match. 

Guest Bulgaria
8 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

This reminds me of that faintly amusing  challenge "Defend the Indefensible".  

JL supposedly prioritised the league and risked the ire of fans with his FA Cup team and then repeated the trick with bells on with his selection for the Den. Even with a weakened squad, it has been baffling. 

It isn't a question of being a clapper a moaner or playing Championship manager but it is part of the malarkey of being a fan to argue about team selection since week in week out we form our own opinions about players. 

Just as I have disagreed in the past with Jack Charlton (who the heck is Mel Sterland?), Bilko (Ian Cranson?wtf), Ron, Tricky, Pleaty, Wilsony, Jewelly etc I don't feel less of an Owl if I disagree with a bloke who has been to Hillsborough less times than mi Mam. 

JL might turn out to be a success but those last two line ups have looked more like Magath than Mourinho. It worries me precisely because I am a fan that if JL carries on being more enigmatic than pragmatic, I fear for him, for the fans and for the club. 

great post, and spot on.

Guest Bulgaria
8 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

The 'Better' players are coming back, it's a case of keeping our heads until they do come back, or do we rush them back too soon?.

I don't know, or pretend to be in the know, if all the players available are fit, look at Rhodes for instance maybe their is a bug doing the rounds in the club, but the manager and training staff see the players every day.

It's the nature of the beast that we call supporters to be fickle, at every club no matter what league they are in.

Maybe, just maybe, it would then be easier for Jos to say

" there is a bug going around"

Its that simple.

12 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I want SWFC to be successful as much as anyone. But the ridiculous knee jerk reactions to JL are a disgrace. It would be a recipe for disaster to play his best 11 every game with the amount of games in last 2 weeks and the next fortnight to come. All that would do is burn out our only 1st team players proper and increase the number of influential players on he injury list. All of which are the last thing we need and would deffo put us deeper in the mire.

Squad rotation is needed more when the number of games increase and is even more important with a small squad of fit players and with a team that could easily be dragged further into a relegation battle. JL is the best man for the job, and even if he wasn't he is what we have got. The last thing we need is the band wagon of the negative "i know what is wrong" sayers starting with toxic tripe slating everything from the youth players to team selection.

Fans are supposed to support ! and the team needs that more than any of the poo thats been said by the vocal minority of morans who already decided our manager not good enough for the job. Opinions are fine but give the guy chance and then make an informed decision, its far to early to write him off and all the true SUPPORTERS are going to back to the manager and team until it's obvious a different manager could do a better job. ATM thats deffo not the case.

Why didn’t you post this 6 months ago? 

Im not sure on what basis you can claim that JL is the best man for the job. 

Edited by Rogers

12 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Joao did not start the game prior... can you confirm this?

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 21:16, oi_you_owl said:

The players are human just like the rest of us - a full 90 mins at this level is extremely taxing on the body. Even pro athletes need recovery time so I totally see what Jos is doing. He tried something at Millwall - and it could have paid off with pussys goal. We used to dam Carlos for not changing it up.

We are struggling on despite a shocking set of injuries. I'm proud of the team for that and I'm focusing on the positives like the FA cup and the youngsters.

Well done SWFC. We fight on! It's what we do. Next season will be a different altogether, and If not then as supporters we will judge accordingly. Now is not the time to question JL - he has taken on a squad that has been ravished by some kind of voodoo injury truck curse and low moral.

Nailed it.

Millwall is in the past now, I can't say I wasn't one of the vocal few when I saw the team we put out & read reviews from fans & people in the media that went how bad we were

However if we pick up something tomorrow & put on a good show (hopefully go through!) on Tuesday it'll be a good move imo

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 00:54, cowl said:

You can't rest ALL of your forwards at once. How can you not expect the ball to just keep coming back at you?

Last night's team selection was an epic mistake for Jos, and he'll just have to take that on the chin.

We move on, and just hope the forthcoming games allow us to forget about this quickly.

JL problem with the Millwall game is if we lose a few it will always now be brought up as evidence he doesn't know what he is doing.

we'll only know if his theory of  resting players  at millwall was  sound after this period of 5 games in 15 days ......6 points ,  cup win and he's a genius ...knocked out the cup and no points then he's going to get some severe flak ...... ....most of us on here our heart rules our head when it comes to all things Sheffield Wednesday , jos cant do that and as to back himself to find a way of grinding out enough results till the end of the season to achieve safety 

On 22/02/2018 at 07:17, modboy said:

Have look at the form league, have a look at the table, Millwall are no “pants team”

your arrogance is breathtaking!

1 hour ago, OzOwl said:

Have look at the form league, have a look at the table, Millwall are no “pants team”

your arrogance is breathtaking!

Easier than villa and Bristol I would imagine.

We're scrapping down the bottom and need to give 100% in every game.

In championship standings Millwall are a bit pants, not as pants as us though at present