The return of BB

1 hour ago, ramone said:

I'd have been inclined to agree with this a couple of months back but recently he's been the only one to show a bit of responsibility. He's been our most consistent performer this season and for me, is the only one to have earned his stripes (you know what i mean) this season. He stays in the team for me 

Someone hacked your account?

• Haha 2

I think in all of Jos's games so far we have at times struggled to retain possession and have missed someone like Bannan who will get their foot on the ball and hold possession, control the tempo and just get the ball moving. A great thing about Bannan is he is always looking to receive the ball (as long as it's not too deep). I personally feel a midfield 3 of Jones, Reach and Bannan on the right of three would be fine. 

Edited by UEA Owl

19 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we must have a bloody good team if bannan cant get a place ........

I'm not so sure mate. Whilst on his day he can be the difference I think this season he has been part of the problem and carlos has made him so defensively minded he's lost his way. An attacking bannan under jos would be something worth seeing. Be interesting to see what sort of team we will put out when the manager has a full compliment to choose from.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Yeah but I mean... is he though? 

Like... attacking midfielders should be able to shoot. 5 goals in 110 games. Or create. 12 assists. Yeah I know I know, it doesn't show if he's assisted the assister or whatever... but for an "attacking midfielder" those are some diabolical numbers.

Bannan's a tricky one. He's a great player but he can't tackle or shoot or make assists or head a ball. But genuinely he is a great player. But he also can't do any of those things... all required of a good central midfielder. He's an enigma. 

He's a deep lying playmaker...in the same way that Pirlo was not a defensive player...but his physical location on the pitch was deep...he was not in any wya defensive...he payed with the ball...like Carrick...same with BB

2 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Eh?  Bannan fits in perfectly to this formation.  Play him in the middle instead of Wallace.  Very easy to fit him in really!

I think we will be playing Boyd instead of Wallace. More of an attacking threat.

Bannan, because he wants the ball all the time (no problem with that generally), tends to come deep to collect. 

I disagree that he fits in "perfectly". Of course he will fit in, but I'm not convinced that he's a shoe-in.

34 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

He's a deep lying playmaker...in the same way that Pirlo was not a defensive player...but his physical location on the pitch was deep...he was not in any wya defensive...he payed with the ball...like Carrick...same with BB

But both Pirlo and Carrick had the positional sense to make plenty of interceptions and break up the opposition's attacks... BB can't tackle and he has relatively few interceptions compared to most of our other midfielders and indeed most Championship central midfielders

I don't mean to knock him btw. Genuinely. I think he's one of the best players in the league at keeping the ball ticking over in the midfield. He's also one of the best at those 50 yard switches. And he's an incredibly hard worker. I just think other than that he's extremely limited, and there's this attitude especially on Owlstalk that he isn't. But this isn't to say that there isn't a place for him in this squad, of course there is. But I just can't agree that he's an "attacking midfielder". To me he's a central midfielder as part of a three, and he's probably the "middle man" between the most defensive and attack minded individual in that trio

I'd put him in instead of Boyd or Wallace.

If everyone was fit, i'd have Westwood in goal, a back three of Venancio Lees Van Aken, Hunt and Reach wings backs, midfield three of Bannan, Hutchinson and Lee with Hooper and Foriesteri up front!

• Like 1

I rate Bannan extremely highly, he's been one of just a handful of players this season who have performed anywhere near their best.

Having said that, I personally don't see how he fits into the current system. I'm sure when all our players are back, Jos may look to an alternative formation, but in a 3-5-2 I personally think that BB would have to be shoehorned in.

For me the days of square pegs in round holes should be well and truly over

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Someone hacked your account?

Touche lol

Adam Reach deserves praise at the moment in the same way he didn't a few months ago. I'd like to think I can give a balanced view on things. 

Its what makes me one of the best posters on here... :stuwinky:

3 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

It seems that Bannan is the nearest of the injured players to a return. But where does he fit in to the new formation under JL?

I don't see the return of any single player heralding a change in formation. So with a 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2 if you prefer) I struggle to see Bannan fitting in. Don't get me wrong, I think Bannan is one of our best players when all are firing, but it's about the team. The best team doesn't always contain the best player.

Of three midfielders positions one is Jones/Pelupessy/Hutch, one is Reach, and the third Wallace/Boyd/Lee.

The most available for Bannan would appear to be the right mid to replace Wallace or Boyd, but Bannan is better left (well best straight down the middle, but better left than right) and I also think Jos wants to persevere with Boyd: he's beginning to look more like his pre-Wednesday self and gives greater goal scoring threat.

Bannan could replace Reach, with Reach moving to wingback, but he's less effective there and has defensive frailties. I think Reach stays in the left/centre mid. 

So, will Bannan be back up to Reach? Will he have to bide his time on the bench?

Jock Stein when asked what the best position is of Kenny Dalglish said Och just put him on the park? For me that about sums up Baz for the owls. 

5 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I rate Bannan extremely highly, he's been one of just a handful of players this season who have performed anywhere near their best.

Having said that, I personally don't see how he fits into the current system. I'm sure when all our players are back, Jos may look to an alternative formation, but in a 3-5-2 I personally think that BB would have to be shoehorned in.

For me the days of square pegs in round holes should be well and truly over

Errrrr....he fits in as a left sided centre mid, not defensive, not a number 10...well and truely a creative number 8 with KL bombing on and Hutch/Pessi covering for him allowing him to roam around...*** me...suggesting BB, easily our best player without a a shadow a doubt...would not 'fit in' in this system is just madness...hes a left sided central midfield player...not a number 10 or a number 4...hes an 8...and at the moment we are playing 2 number 8s either side of a 4.

47 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

But both Pirlo and Carrick had the positional sense to make plenty of interceptions and break up the opposition's attacks... BB can't tackle and he has relatively few interceptions compared to most of our other midfielders and indeed most Championship central midfielders

I don't mean to knock him btw. Genuinely. I think he's one of the best players in the league at keeping the ball ticking over in the midfield. He's also one of the best at those 50 yard switches. And he's an incredibly hard worker. I just think other than that he's extremely limited, and there's this attitude especially on Owlstalk that he isn't. But this isn't to say that there isn't a place for him in this squad, of course there is. But I just can't agree that he's an "attacking midfielder". To me he's a central midfielder as part of a three, and he's probably the "middle man" between the most defensive and attack minded individual in that trio

Hes the 8 with a 4 between him and either onther 8 (KL) or a 10 (FF, Reach).

1 minute ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Errrrr....he fits in as a left sided centre mid, not defensive, not a number 10...well and truely a creative number 8 with KL bombing on and Hutch/Pessi covering for him allowing him to roam around...*** me...suggesting BB, easily our best player without a a shadow a doubt...would not 'fit in' in this system is just madness...hes a left sided central midfield player...not a number 10 or a number 4...hes an 8...and at the moment we are playing 2 number 8s either side of a 4.

We are talking about the immediate future though, so you can forget Hutch or Keiran Lee for a start.

I agree that would theoretically be his best position in the current system, but are you going to drop Reach to accommodate him then?

3 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Reach is a winger so harsh to judge him when he has been played out of position on a fairly regular basis.

Bannan is an attacking midfielder and should be selected as such.. I have more faith in JL than his predecessor in picking him for this role.

Think you're wrong on both counts, Reach isn't quick or tricky enough to be a winger, but has good lungs and central midfield suits him.

Bannan's goal scoring record suggests he's a defensive midfielder, personally like my attacking mids to score a few.

Just now, Cosby Blunkett said:

We are talking about the immediate future though, so you can forget Hutch or Keiran Lee for a start.

I agree that would theoretically be his best position in the current system, but are you going to drop Reach to accommodate him then?

Yes i would drop Reach for Bannan if it came to it...there isnt a player in our entire squad that I wouldnt drop for Bannan...however i dont think it would come to that. 

I would drop Wallace/Boyd for Bannan...I would drop Reach back to the wing when KL is fit to play Reach as wing back and Lee and BB either side of Pessi/Hutch.

However, we dont have to play 3 at the back and have only been doing so due to injuries...his preferred formation is 4-3-2-1....in this I would have Reach on wing or as number 10 behind striker.,.with Bannan in the centre.

Fully fit squad...I would seriously hope we arnt going to persist with essentially one in midfield...with two wingers either side of him

3 hours ago, ramone said:

I'd have been inclined to agree with this a couple of months back but recently he's been the only one to show a bit of responsibility. He's been our most consistent performer this season and for me, is the only one to have earned his stripes (you know what i mean) this season. He stays in the team for me 

This. Can't believe people are slating Reach this season. Especially in recent months. His forward play has much improved and the fact hes been heavily involved in goals and assists shows that. I wasn't his biggest fan in rhe past but he has stepped up and delivered for a while now.