The return of BB

It seems that Bannan is the nearest of the injured players to a return. But where does he fit in to the new formation under JL?

I don't see the return of any single player heralding a change in formation. So with a 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2 if you prefer) I struggle to see Bannan fitting in. Don't get me wrong, I think Bannan is one of our best players when all are firing, but it's about the team. The best team doesn't always contain the best player.

Of three midfielders positions one is Jones/Pelupessy/Hutch, one is Reach, and the third Wallace/Boyd/Lee.

The most available for Bannan would appear to be the right mid to replace Wallace or Boyd, but Bannan is better left (well best straight down the middle, but better left than right) and I also think Jos wants to persevere with Boyd: he's beginning to look more like his pre-Wednesday self and gives greater goal scoring threat.

Bannan could replace Reach, with Reach moving to wingback, but he's less effective there and has defensive frailties. I think Reach stays in the left/centre mid. 

So, will Bannan be back up to Reach? Will he have to bide his time on the bench?

Reach has done ok but apart from his engine he is nowhere near as good as Bannan. I think Reach is being overrated by people on here. He has done ok because he has played basically every game in a very poor season. With everyone fit and firing Reach doesnt make my 11. He has probably had 6-7 good games but has played 50. 

6 minutes ago, Barr Grylls said:

Reach has done ok but apart from his engine he is nowhere near as good as Bannan. I think Reach is being overrated by people on here. He has done ok because he has played basically every game in a very poor season. With everyone fit and firing Reach doesnt make my 11. He has probably had 6-7 good games but has played 50. 

I'd have been inclined to agree with this a couple of months back but recently he's been the only one to show a bit of responsibility. He's been our most consistent performer this season and for me, is the only one to have earned his stripes (you know what i mean) this season. He stays in the team for me 

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
16 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

It seems that Bannan is the nearest of the injured players to a return. But where does he fit in to the new formation under JL?

I don't see the return of any single player heralding a change in formation. So with a 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2 if you prefer) I struggle to see Bannan fitting in. Don't get me wrong, I think Bannan is one of our best players when all are firing, but it's about the team. The best team doesn't always contain the best player.

Of three midfielders positions one is Jones/Pelupessy/Hutch, one is Reach, and the third Wallace/Boyd/Lee.

The most available for Bannan would appear to be the right mid to replace Wallace or Boyd, but Bannan is better left (well best straight down the middle, but better left than right) and I also think Jos wants to persevere with Boyd: he's beginning to look more like his pre-Wednesday self and gives greater goal scoring threat.

Bannan could replace Reach, with Reach moving to wingback, but he's less effective there and has defensive frailties. I think Reach stays in the left/centre mid. 

So, will Bannan be back up to Reach? Will he have to bide his time on the bench?

Eh?  Bannan fits in perfectly to this formation.  Play him in the middle instead of Wallace.  Very easy to fit him in really!

6 minutes ago, Barr Grylls said:

Reach is a winger so harsh to judge him when he has been played out of position on a fairly regular basis.

Bannan is an attacking midfielder and should be selected as such.. I have more faith in JL than his predecessor in picking him for this role.

8 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Reach is a winger so harsh to judge him when he has been played out of position on a fairly regular basis.

Bannan is an attacking midfielder and should be selected as such.. I have more faith in JL than his predecessor in picking him for this role.

Yeah but I mean... is he though? 

Like... attacking midfielders should be able to shoot. 5 goals in 110 games. Or create. 12 assists. Yeah I know I know, it doesn't show if he's assisted the assister or whatever... but for an "attacking midfielder" those are some diabolical numbers.

Bannan's a tricky one. He's a great player but he can't tackle or shoot or make assists or head a ball. But genuinely he is a great player. But he also can't do any of those things... all required of a good central midfielder. He's an enigma. 

Edited by StudentOwl

23 minutes ago, Barr Grylls said:

Reach has been excellent all season.

probably our best player.

the only player who consistently takes the team forwards.

they just need to swap bannan for Wallace.

17 minutes ago, ramone said:

I'd have been inclined to agree with this a couple of months back but recently he's been the only one to show a bit of responsibility. He's been our most consistent performer this season and for me, is the only one to have earned his stripes (you know what i mean) this season. He stays in the team for me 

Adam Reach has been outstanding since Jos turned up  BB won’t be taking AR place anytime soon, very interesting times ahead 

He should play as one of the three in midfield, simple really. He will never score double figures but play him closer to the goal and he will make more of a obvious contribution. A great player at this level, id be amazed if he doesnt slot in regardless of formation.

The obvious role for Bannan is on the left of the midfield three but then you've got to find another place in the side for or drop Reach which will cause a meltdown the size of mount vesuvius on here. The simple question for me is who's the better player and I think it's Bannan, he was probably the frontrunner for player of the season before he was injured?

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Yeah but I mean... is he though? 

Like... attacking midfielders should be able to shoot. 5 goals in 110 games. Or create. 12 assists. Yeah I know I know, it doesn't show if he's assisted the assister or whatever... but for an "attacking midfielder" those are some diabolical numbers.

Bannan's a tricky one. He's a great player but he can't tackle or shoot or make assists or head a ball. But genuinely he is a great player. But he also can't do any of those things... all required of a good central midfielder. He's an enigma. 

Not sure I would class Bannan as a great midfielder - good yes, but greatness is someway off

His figures are reflected in how he has been used - defensive midfielder, on the left etc.  So some context needed when you add in the stats. 

5 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Not sure I would class Bannan as a great midfielder - good yes, but greatness is someway off

His figures are reflected in how he has been used - defensive midfielder, on the left etc.  So some context needed when you add in the stats. 

19 goals in 293 appearances

37 assists

This isn't just in isolation here... it's the same at every club he's ever been at. The only way he'll improve in these numbers is if he does something he's never been able to do consistently throughout his career over the last what... 8 years? Or has every manager he's ever had been blinkered to his goalscoring and creative potential and played him in the wrong position? 

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen people say "Oh he's a great attacking midfielder, he's just played too deep". It's like they invent a previous time in his career where he was threading passes through and scoring goals regularly. He's never done it, never been able to do it, and without a heck of a lot of hard work never will. 

Edited by StudentOwl

Bannan fitted CC's shape and very effective first 2 seasons.

This season hard to judge given the poor overall team work, creators need movement and CC's shape became too static.

BB ran a great deal but down blind alleys to lose the ball and we got done on the counter attack.

Whatever, Jos as created something of a restart to all the players season, so can hopefully do the same for BB.