The return of BB

19 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

I see numbers being bandied about, like 8 and 4

What are the positions of the 'old' numbering system?

Something like this?

7                                                  11

8               10                

2           5            6             3

...or what?

Id swap 2/3 and 7/11 but thats just me

Reach has carried us this season.

Great goals, assists, without him we would be bottom three at the moment. 

We need people with some end product, not players who want to drop deep and pose.

Against pigs and Cardiff the middle 3 stood their ground and competed and got forward when they could.

Bannan has the ability, has he got the bottle and the end product.?

Guess we will find out.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
10 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Reach has carried us this season.

Great goals, assists, without him we would be bottom three at the moment. 

We need people with some end product, not players who want to drop deep and pose.

Against pigs and Cardiff the middle 3 stood their ground and competed and got forward when they could.

Bannan has the ability, has he got the bottle and the end product.?

Guess we will find out.

Got the bottle IMO and the ability. End product needs improvement.

3 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Bannan was told to play deep...he is not a tackler...he is not a defensive player...he is not an alternative to Pessi...hutch is the alternative to Pessi...bannan would left in a 3 of whoever our defensive tackler is (Hutch/Pessi)

Bannan is not like for like with Pessi

He isnt like for like in terms of playing style youre right. However you can have a Gattuso style deep midfielder that tackles and breaks down attacks or a Pirlo style deep midfielder that is more of a ball playing midfielder. I think there is only room for 1 in a 532. Maybe im wrong. 

I can see him thriving in a midfield 3 with Reach plus one more defensive minded player. 

Many of us have said he looks a much better player playing 30 yards further up the pitch and this formation should allow him to do this. He's also a player that has the engine to cover ground, so should work well. 

7 hours ago, Barr Grylls said:

Reach has done ok but apart from his engine he is nowhere near as good as Bannan. I think Reach is being overrated by people on here. He has done ok because he has played basically every game in a very poor season. With everyone fit and firing Reach doesnt make my 11. He has probably had 6-7 good games but has played 50. 

Reach should play left wing back for me. Better than Fox in that position.

6 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

19 goals in 293 appearances

37 assists

This isn't just in isolation here... it's the same at every club he's ever been at. The only way he'll improve in these numbers is if he does something he's never been able to do consistently throughout his career over the last what... 8 years? Or has every manager he's ever had been blinkered to his goalscoring and creative potential and played him in the wrong position? 

I've lost track of the number of times I've seen people say "Oh he's a great attacking midfielder, he's just played too deep". It's like they invent a previous time in his career where he was threading passes through and scoring goals regularly. He's never done it, never been able to do it, and without a heck of a lot of hard work never will. 

Ahh stats - don’t you just love em.

Be interested to see the stats for other Champ/lower Prem midfielders - bet they aren’t much different.

He has had most sustained selection here in his career but hasn’t consistently been used in his best position.  When he has, he has generally been ok.

Dont get me wrong, we need better - but how players get used has a significant effect on how effective they are.  When Bannan gets used left side or deep midfield he has been average.

It’s up to the manager to set the team up based on the individual strengths - CC adhered to this less and less as time went on and our performances and results suffered.