Sheffield Wednesday finances, contracts and players. Grab a cuppa and listen to this.

Tried by best to stay awake until the end but failed about 3 quarters through it. What I heard seemed accurate enough to me, for the little I know of such matters. Looks like some of us are going to get our wish and that is to play the young 'uns, no bad thing to me. 

1 minute ago, Ian_D said:

Tried by best to stay awake until the end but failed about 3 quarters through it. What I heard seemed accurate enough to me, for the little I know of such matters. Looks like some of us are going to get our wish and that is to play the young 'uns, no bad thing to me. 

It's no bad thing if they're good enough.

Playing sole reliance on young players is pretty risky.

Just now, SiJ said:

It's no bad thing if they're good enough.

Playing sole reliance on young players is pretty risky.

True, I was thinking of a mix of experience that we already have and youth from either the under 23s or from cheaper imports

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You guys really need to hear this. The best explanation of Sheffield Wednesday's situation that you'll hear.

It goes through the players we have, the kind of contracts they're on, the length of contracts, agents like Doyen, Club 1867, why selling players like Jordan Rhodes would actually mean we are way worse off in terms of FFP and more

It's a dense serious listen to grab a cuppa, pull up a chair, and focus on it and you'll learn all you need to know.

It's not the most positive outcome for Wednesday fans but we definitely need to hear and consider it all.

Essential listening even if you think that you understand FFP

Must have been one MASSIVE cuppa!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, vulva said:

That’s when I switched off. Would put money on them having beards, mobile phone voicemail greeting of ‘whatsupppp?’ and a fridge dominated by hummus, Brewdog pale ale and sushi. 

hahahaha - exactly the image I get too

24 minutes ago, DazUK said:

I haven't listened to it so apologies if wrong but why doesn't selling Rhodes and  getting his wages off the bill improve our finances  

Basically, his purchase cost is spread over several years so say approx £2M per year hits our accounts. If we sold him, it would no doubt be at a loss given his form since arriving so the difference between what we paid for him less one years payment would then have to be charged to our accounts. I don't know the true figures but lets say for example, we bought for £8M, in the first year we accounted approx £2M of that. We then sell for £2.5M but in reality we still owed £5.5M which then becomes chargable to the clubs financial accounts as we can no longer spread these payments out once the player is sold.

A bit of a simplistic explanation but hopefully it helps. Unless I totally misunderstood the podcast (wasn't listening too closely) in which case I'll no doubt get negged to death!

Thanks @owlstalk  I thoroughly enjoyed that if you jump in at 3 mins onwards

I'm afraid I know a bit of and worried about  FFP  if not the exact accounting practices  described

I said on here last season and few weeks ago we should worry about embargos and fines  with FFP   i think the first comment was  'so what qpr haven't paid owt yet '  Well I don't know whether they have or haven't tbh

they seem to think the playing of U23s is an indication of a change in ethos long term  I think it's needs must personally

They also think KM has been brought in to tighten the ship and do things like deny they agent of the dutch left back a pension - All for that 

If it were me I would sell the big earners where we could that's if we can get them walking incl FF Bannan Lees fletcher and Westwood 

start again with hungry younger players  I relish the challenge of trying to stay in the league with the parachute fatcats

promotion can be done at sensible expenditure it's down to recruitment and coaching we'll see how Jos stacks up next year 

Probably time to press the reset button.

We went for it in our first two years and fells short. Seems pretty likely that we will be operating a tighter ship from now on (there were signs of this in the summer if you think about it) and tbh I'm happy if that's the case.

Time for us to try and build something on solid foundations, as opposed to boom and bust.

In todays market we could still shift some of our players for a few million. Transfers fees are daft and plenty of bottom half premier league teams out there. I could see us flog the likes of Hooper, Fletcher, Bannan and FF to them. We didn't pay big transfer fees for them either.

The likes of Joao and Matias have plenty of years left and have value.

I will admit defeat on Abdi though and we got what we could out of Wallace.

David Jones could go to another championship team as well.

A clear out is possible although I wouldn't get rid of them all

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

There aren't any American's on this podcast

Just sayin...

If they’ve moved to the Americas then they have lost their right to be British Citizens in my eyes. That includes following football, moaning about weather and eating fish and chips.

Bloody traitors.

Think one question is if we are downsizing (for lack of a better term) and that it turn leads to us becoming (at least for a season or two) more of a mid-table/top half side (which tbf would be an improvement on this season :duntmatter:) then can the club continue to justify charging some of the highest POTD tickets prices in the country (relatively speaking)?

*apologies for the overuse of brackets