Dale Johnson (ESPN) on Jos Luhukay and his tactics

58 minutes ago, basegreenowl said:

Three at the back is the way forward. Might take time. Might need full backs in this window. Hopefully his German connections could reveal a few. Pace and strength in this team please. A 'German' manager usually knows physicality is important. Hope so! 

There's no might about it. If we want to play with wingbacks then the likes of Hunt, Palmer and Fox just aren't good enough.

1 hour ago, basegreenowl said:

Been trying to find out out the few systems he plays. After a few Google searches I was only able to find he plays 4-4-2. Does anyone know if he plays another system? Three at the back or one with a few anchor men sitting might turn results in this league. 

Most recent matches appear to be 4231.

Read conflicting opinions on his style but it would appear that he adapts well to resources available, he managed promotion with low budget but by playing a solid game.

He's also been quoted as saying he doesn't believe in lots of formations, keep the game simple...

Interesting this talk of dour football. Didn't Gray get the sack because DC didn't like the style of football, hence the appointment of Carlos who promised attacking football. Maybe the Chairman's changed his philosophy as much as Carlos did or maybe he sees this approach as the best to avoid relegation. 

7 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Weird ? I've spoken to my German mate whose second club is Wednesday this morning..... believe me, it wasn't good listening.
The word, boring was used on more than one occasion.

So, contextually, let's stop with the grammar police eh ? and stop making it personal.

I’d Class pulis, megson, mark Hughes ect... as boring but would have any of them here at the moment 

8 hours ago, codrowe said:

We could have got Karanka if dour defensive football is the order of the day

Why could we? Two managers whose names have been mentioned on here and elsewhere many times as the ones we should have were asked and turned us down. Just because its Wednesday doesn't mean they are begging to join us 

1 hour ago, Animal said:

I’d Class pulis, megson, mark Hughes ect... as boring but would have any of them here at the moment 

I'm guessing that with Pulls and Hughes wages would be a huge problem. They both know that at some point they will get a premiership gig so would be asking premiership wages or just below 

9 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Despite his lovely tash, he looks like he could be a reyt little nasty barsteward, which is exactly what we need right now IMO. 

Think the players might be in for a shock... Let's hope it has a positive effect!

UTO

our players are in their comfort zone , with half of them undropable under Carlos . A kick up the arse is exactly what they need, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tapeworm said:

There's no might about it. If we want to play with wingbacks then the likes of Hunt, Palmer and Fox just aren't good enough.

Best post for months !!!! Can't believe people think the above 3 could play that role. Hunt is a barely adequate right back as is Fox. Palmer offers more, but again no wing back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Positives:

Experienced

Generally good track record

Clear philosophy

Not a “Yes Man”

Negatives:

Dull football

Silly moustache

No experience of managing in the EFL

Silly moustache

Track record for flouncing out if he doesn’t get his own way

Silly moustache

Oh, and…..

….Silly moustache

Seriously, this is a bit of a gamble by DC. It could turn out to be a genius left-field appointment like David Wagner, or Luhaky may just be out of his depth. My gut feel is that I’m not convinced he’s the long term solution, but he might just be the right man to stabilise a season that’s spinning out of control. If he can organise the team properly, drill them until each player clearly understands their role and instil a bit of a work ethic then at least we might start grinding out enough points here and there to get ourselves out of trouble.

He has way better stats than Wagner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wagner_(footballer)#Managerial_statistics

If this happens, I'll be relatively happy. Once you rule out the really good English managers (Hughton/Howe/Dyke/Big Sam) then you are looking at foreign alternatives and I think the German league has more in common with the EFL than say Portugal or Turkey.

I must admit to being horrified at first, but, unlike that tache, it has grown on me.

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Be funny if he turned up and just played defensive 4-4-2.

Well. Not funny, but , y'know.

Probably not to be unexpected to be honest:

We have a surplus of strikers, so likely to have two of them out there.

And considering we don't have any fit defensive midfielders and only one under contract period, it's unlikely we'll be playing the 4-2-3-1 transfermarkt seems to think he favours...

14 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Welcome him, will support him, but still the wrong choice.

Hillsborough does not need, nor deserve, DOUR football.

Hope that side is not seen at s6

What does it need of deserve? 

If it takes dour defensive football to get us up I’m all for it.

forget the romanticism of the game - it’s not 1880, jumpers for goalposts etc ..it’s about pragmatism and achieving a goal

The fancy stuff can come when we are comfortably middtable in the Prem 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

14 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Despite his lovely tash, he looks like he could be a reyt little nasty barsteward, which is exactly what we need right now IMO. 

Think the players might be in for a shock... Let's hope it has a positive effect!

UTO

He'll be in for shock when he sees the larger bellies in the dressing room

Guest RocketOwl
14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

08-12-13-34-35-33513-71-626-jpg.jpg

He is Dutch but opted to do his coaching badges in Germany, so doesn’t view himself as a Dutch trainer.

Remy Reynierse (ex Netherlands U21) and Olaf Jansen were Jos Luhukay's assistants at Stuttgart. Jansen left job as manager of St Pauli last month.

Worth noting Remy Reijnierse picked Joost van Aken for the Netherlands Under-21 squad when he was in charge in 2015

Safety-first coach with conservative tactics. Often man to man marking; strong leadership and a disciplinarian

Jos Luhukay's 5 training theses.

1. Winning builds team spirit

2. Tactics stand or fall on preparation

3. Playing 5/6 different systems is nonsense

4. We are not here to have fun

5. If the players are happy doing something, they do it better

Worth pointing out too that Jos Luhukay has managed clubs with big attendances -- Hertha Berlin averaged 40k, Gladbach have a capacity of 54k. Don't be fooled into thinking he managed "little clubs" - Augsburg also averaged 30k.

Style of play would not be pretty or expansive. Known for organised, dour stuff but that was mainly working with average players at Augsburg who he led to promotion in 2011 and kept them in up

Took the job 2016 at Stuttgart in 2.Bundesliga who had just been relegated, won three of first five games but left post early with reports of differences of opinons with DOF.

Gained reputation for an expert at promotions from 2.Bundesliga so he left Augsburg to go to capital city club, Hertha. Naturally he won promotion at the first attempt as champions but don't recall over expansive, attractive football.

I don't like laziness" - Jos is a disciplinarian and considered a canny tactician Along with three promotions, also got Augsburg to playoffs but lost out to Ilkay Gundogan's Nuremberg in 2010

So a German Megson without 2 championship promotions (England)