Dale Johnson (ESPN) on Jos Luhukay and his tactics

Well I’ll give the guy a chance Stopped going regularly, simply because I didn’t like the football being played While, to a certain extent, we were achieving results, I could see why people were sticking by what the coach was trying to achieve

However, I’m not going to tolerate the football we saw in seasons 2 and 3, so I stayed away Personally, I’m not encouraged by some of his comments, but I’ll go and see what he has to offer Dull pragmatic football though, I will never accept

4 hours ago, Tapeworm said:

But "decent enough" isn't the answer for a promotion winning side is it?

I might be a bit old school but if you have enough creativity in your team then you don't need to rely on your fullbacks for it, any assists or goals from fullbacks etc is a bonus.

He's done ok over the last 2 seasons for a side very close to achieving promotion.

Pretty laughable comment about my knowledge of football when you've stated that Jack Hunt is the best right wingback in the league but then classed him as "decent enough" in the same breath.

I never said he was the best right wingback in the league because he's never played wing back for us, he plays in a back 4 so therefore he's a right back.

What I said was he is perfectly suited to play the wing back role and would be one of the best in the division, playing wing back means he's got a back 3 behind him meaning when he does bomb on he's not looking over his shoulder, wing backs tend to play the middle third, not defend like a right back and attack like an out and out winger. 

Carlos asked too much of our fullbacks in my opinion.

My problem with Hunt is this notion that he's effective going forward. He isn't and fails to deliver time and time again. If we were to play him as an out and out wingback then we'd be relying on him to deliver quality in to the box - something I don't think he's capable of.

Playing wing back is very different to playing right back, ask Jack to just defend and he looks more assured, ask Jack to create in the final third and defend and he looks stretched. I would have a guess that most Championship fullbacks would struggle to do both.

Opinions aside, we have much bigger problems than him at the moment.

Agreed, we need pace in the side, we don't have any.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 07:21, quinnssweetshop said:

Weird ? I've spoken to my German mate whose second club is Wednesday this morning..... believe me, it wasn't good listening.
The word, boring was used on more than one occasion.

hate it when your German mates are totally on the mark... but I got shot down when he was appointed and every warning came true.

On 05/01/2018 at 07:10, @owlstalk said:

08-12-13-34-35-33513-71-626-jpg.jpg

He is Dutch but opted to do his coaching badges in Germany, so doesn’t view himself as a Dutch trainer.

Remy Reynierse (ex Netherlands U21) and Olaf Jansen were Jos Luhukay's assistants at Stuttgart. Jansen left job as manager of St Pauli last month.

Worth noting Remy Reijnierse picked Joost van Aken for the Netherlands Under-21 squad when he was in charge in 2015

Safety-first coach with conservative tactics. Often man to man marking; strong leadership and a disciplinarian

Jos Luhukay's 5 training theses.

1. Winning builds team spirit

2. Tactics stand or fall on preparation

3. Playing 5/6 different systems is nonsense

4. We are not here to have fun

5. If the players are happy doing something, they do it better

Worth pointing out too that Jos Luhukay has managed clubs with big attendances -- Hertha Berlin averaged 40k, Gladbach have a capacity of 54k. Don't be fooled into thinking he managed "little clubs" - Augsburg also averaged 30k.

Style of play would not be pretty or expansive. Known for organised, dour stuff but that was mainly working with average players at Augsburg who he led to promotion in 2011 and kept them in up

Took the job 2016 at Stuttgart in 2.Bundesliga who had just been relegated, won three of first five games but left post early with reports of differences of opinons with DOF.

Gained reputation for an expert at promotions from 2.Bundesliga so he left Augsburg to go to capital city club, Hertha. Naturally he won promotion at the first attempt as champions but don't recall over expansive, attractive football.

I don't like laziness" - Jos is a disciplinarian and considered a canny tactician Along with three promotions, also got Augsburg to playoffs but lost out to Ilkay Gundogan's Nuremberg in 2010

oh dear he has done everything but this at SWFC

On 05/01/2018 at 07:15, quinnssweetshop said:

Welcome him, will support him, but still the wrong choice.

Hillsborough does not need, nor deserve, DOUR football.

Hope that side is not seen at s6

On 05/01/2018 at 07:21, quinnssweetshop said:

Weird ? I've spoken to my German mate whose second club is Wednesday this morning..... believe me, it wasn't good listening.
The word, boring was used on more than one occasion.

So, contextually, let's stop with the grammar police eh ? and stop making it personal.

If you ever hear a German say that some one else is boring, you just gotta take note,

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, debram said:

oh dear he has done everything but this at SWFC

Points Three and Five?!?!?

I'm not sure we've got even got Jos Luhukay, maybe we have his twin Brother?

WTF:

Jos Luhukay's 5 training theses.

3. Playing 5/6 different systems is nonsense

1 minute ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

WTF:

look at the smile on his face, paints a different story now, dead man walking.

1 minute ago, debram said:

look at the smile on his face, paints a different story now, dead man walking.

Well we've not seen him smile during a game at Hillsborough full stop.

I'll give him his credit for turning things around last season, but this season's a bigger disaster than last year already.

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

WTF:

1 our of 5 aint bad....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Well we've not seen him smile during a game at Hillsborough full stop.

I'll give him his credit for turning things around last season, but this season's a bigger disaster than last year already.

yes change required asap

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:54, Quist said:

His price has started to drift not a done deal yet by any means.

I would give him a chance but think he needs someone with know how of english leagues as his assistant. It would be great if brought in some German players far more suited to English style than say Portugese.

Reading his methods our squad are weak on defensive minded players so will need a few new players if to use those tactics.

I

On 05/01/2018 at 07:10, @owlstalk said:

08-12-13-34-35-33513-71-626-jpg.jpg

He is Dutch but opted to do his coaching badges in Germany, so doesn’t view himself as a Dutch trainer.

Remy Reynierse (ex Netherlands U21) and Olaf Jansen were Jos Luhukay's assistants at Stuttgart. Jansen left job as manager of St Pauli last month.

Worth noting Remy Reijnierse picked Joost van Aken for the Netherlands Under-21 squad when he was in charge in 2015

Safety-first coach with conservative tactics. Often man to man marking; strong leadership and a disciplinarian

Jos Luhukay's 5 training theses.

3. Playing 5/6 different systems is nonsense

Worth pointing out too that Jos Luhukay has managed clubs with big attendances -- Hertha Berlin averaged 40k, Gladbach have a capacity of 54k. Don't be fooled into thinking he managed "little clubs" - Augsburg also averaged 30k.

Style of play would not be pretty or expansive. Known for organised, dour stuff but that was mainly working with average players at Augsburg who he led to promotion in 2011 and kept them in up

Took the job 2016 at Stuttgart in 2.Bundesliga who had just been relegated, won three of first five games but left post early with reports of differences of opinons with DOF.

Gained reputation for an expert at promotions from 2.Bundesliga so he left Augsburg to go to capital city club, Hertha. Naturally he won promotion at the first attempt as champions but don't recall over expansive, attractive football.

I don't like laziness" - Jos is a disciplinarian and considered a canny tactician Along with three promotions, also got Augsburg to playoffs but lost out to Ilkay Gundogan's Nuremberg in 2010

Dale on point there ..

On 05/01/2018 at 13:26, sherlyegg said:

Defensive careful/style doesn't suit the players we have. So if he gets the job he will need 4/5 new players (prob on loan). They will need to be up and running from the off or we could end up in big shyte.

Or he could try and adapt the players we have to suit his ideas...that will only end up in tears cos it's been tried already by the master.

I want me prize :biggrin: