Re: that Lee Bullen post-match

One thing I've loved about Bullen's time as Interim Coach is his press conferences.  He is refreshing in his language and honesty.  

Saying that, we are in desperate need of an experienced manager.  The longer we wait for the right man... well, we could wait forever for the perfect appointment.  There are plenty of decent possibilities out there and perhaps we need to go with "decent" rather than spending weeks trying to get someone who isn't realistically going to be interested i.e. AVB, Ranieri etc....

Think he was extremely honest about performance, very angry and upset. He looked completely out of his depth and frustrated. If he does not know players lack condition it means he has no ideabut as its visible toanybody must know. Looked to me like a sense of guilt going along with regime when he knew of problems and now stuck wuth trying to defend regime he was part of. This is most demanding time of year for footballers after eyeballs out performance against Forest they had nothing left for next two games.

The pauses and looking away from camera indicate he was covering up hiding something. Similar to hutchinson when interviewed previous week.

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

Now, be clear, I'm not absolving ANYONE involved with that shambles today of responsibility, Bullen included - as caretaker, he has to be - but this press conference is pretty extraordinary if you see what I see:

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/watch-post-match-reaction/

What do I see? I see a bloke who's so angry he's on the verge of tears - and not just about today. I've always had him pegged as a bit of a yes man, but watching that I'm no longer so sure.

He looks to me like he's biting his lip throughout, holding back on saying something he knows he mustn't say. Something about the whole regime over the past couple of years. Something about money, and privilege, and graft, and honesty, and the Sheffield Wednesday that he knows and loves. (The Wednesday of 20 years ago, during a particularly lowly spell when representing the club was a genuine blood, sweat and tears toil, and when a fairly small close-knit crew of relatively little-known footballers were tasked with trying to get us back up the table from the abject depths we'd slumped to.)

He looks absolutely fuming that today's lot just fundamentally don't get that.

Am I crazy? Reading far too much into things?

Maybe, but watching that interview back I can't shake the feeling I'm right. Especially when he says "two or three of them [TWO OR THREE?! FFS] in there stood up and were vocal, but..." ...and then he just clams up and looks as if he's trying not to go off on one, spewing expletives and naming names that have been winding him up for months. In fact, he looks a split second away from calling specific individuals out at least 3-4 times in that interview. I'm almost amazed he managed to keep it professional and clean.

"It's just wrong."

"DC came in and shook their hands, and..." *sigh*

That's not just about one terrible result, is it? It's not even just about one terrible season IMO. I've honestly never seen ANY manager, caretaker or otherwise, look so utterly appalled in a post-match interview about a club he's got a deep personal connection to.

And moreover, when he says of course he wants to be involved "on some level if he can" - yes, obviously he means if a new manager doesn't bring his own people in, but IMO there's a pretty obvious subtext there too: he'd probably love to manage Wednesday in theory, but not this group of players. In fact he'd rather walk.

What the chuffing hell has been going on, seriously?

Jesus wept, this next appointment is absolutely bloody crucial to get right.

Said elsewhere if the conference wasn't in the media it would be x rated 

He seems gutted about the game and the reaction of the players (or lack of) toward him. He hasn’t had time to really coach them and he’s got a patchwork team but he’s asked them to give him their all and some of them haven’t. 

I think he knows that it could be the end of his time here, played in every position, won at Cardiff, been involved with the youth, assistant boss and now he even got to be the manager, that’s a big deal. But it won’t be a positive memory and he’s clearly devastated about that.

• Like 1

Credit to Bullen he’s stepped up as a player and coach whenever the club has needed him to. He almost comes across too emotional there, think he has to try and stay a bit more controlled in front of the press but obviously he cares a lot and it’s a difficult situation for him to be put in. A very honest and passionate guy, but think you have to try and be a bit smarter as a manager. Hopefully there’ll be some sort of role for him even in the academy or something when the new manager comes in as he genuinely seems to want to be involved with the club in any capacity. 

32 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Back to the actual point of the thread. 

The worrying part is where he says 2 or 3 were as upset as him.

Strongly implies we have a group of highly paid free rolling mercenaries on our playing staff that couldn’t give a fiddlers fart about the club. 

Would love to know who did actually stand up. This squad needs breaking and rebuilding, in every way.

I absolutely love this bloke. Tells it how it is and clearly feels the pain, the same way I did on the back of the North earlier. It’s obvious that it’s more than a job to him and absolute respect for that. Really hope he’s part of the new setup, in whatever capacity that may be 

You just get the feeling that when he was biting his lip what he really wanted to say is. I'm feckin fuming here and all I want to do is go back in to the dressing room and rip some feckin heads off. 

• Like 1

Heard it in the car.

Sounded as frustrated as us.

But just watched the video (and it's worth doing if you havent) because of the body language.

You can tell he's actually physically trying to restrain himself.

The tenseness ...its apparent that he is ABSOLUTELY F*CKING LIVID about what he's just witnessed.

When he says they got a bit of a blast. ...I suspect they had the biggest bollocking they've ever had by the look in his eyes.

Edited by Lord Snooty

5 minutes ago, bigrbuk said:

I can't imagine Reach and his floppy Barnet getting irate

Tbf, although a bit soft in the tackle, he always looks for the ball and doesn’t shy away when we are struggling. Spoke volumes that he got the captains armband at half time too