Re: that Lee Bullen post-match

23 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

He can't motivate the players and they aren't playing for him (sounds familiar).

Could that suggest the players have the same opinion of him as they seemed to have for Carlos ?

In fact some of the players have spoken out in support of Carlos since he has gone, have any done so for LB ?

Are you really excusing the players for that performance today because a caretaker manager didn’t motivate them

6 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I think he’s trying not to say something that will make things worse in the dressing room. Either get the players backs up or completely destroy confidence. You could see he wanted to rip into them, but held back. 

In terms of Chansiri shaking the players hands. I took that snippet as a “they didn’t deserve that respect” because he went on to say “I feel sorry for the chairman, he’s done so much for this club, so much”. That’s the second time in a couple of weeks he’s said that.  

If he was holding back from saying something about Chansiri then you’d think he wouldn’t say anything positive about him. 

Oh yeah I totally agree, not for one second do I think he was holding back about DC - totally the players, and the coddling.

He looked genuinely choked about DC's input and continued respect. I don't doubt it either.

41 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Now, be clear, I'm not absolving ANYONE involved with that shambles today of responsibility, Bullen included - as caretaker, he has to be - but this press conference is pretty extraordinary if you see what I see:

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/watch-post-match-reaction/

What do I see? I see a bloke who's so angry he's on the verge of tears - and not just about today. I've always had him pegged as a bit of a yes man, but watching that I'm no longer so sure.

He looks to me like he's biting his lip throughout, holding back on saying something he knows he mustn't say. Something about the whole regime over the past couple of years. Something about money, and privilege, and graft, and honesty, and the Sheffield Wednesday that he knows and loves. (The Wednesday of 20 years ago, during a particularly lowly spell when representing the club was a genuine blood, sweat and tears toil, and when a fairly small close-knit crew of relatively little-known footballers were tasked with trying to get us back up the table from the abject depths we'd slumped to.)

He looks absolutely fuming that today's lot just fundamentally don't get that.

Am I crazy? Reading far too much into things?

Maybe, but watching that interview back I can't shake the feeling I'm right. Especially when he says "two or three of them [TWO OR THREE?! FFS] in there stood up and were vocal, but..." ...and then he just clams up and looks as if he's trying not to go off on one, spewing expletives and naming names that have been winding him up for months. In fact, he looks a split second away from calling specific individuals out at least 3-4 times in that interview. I'm almost amazed he managed to keep it professional and clean.

"It's just wrong."

"DC came in and shook their hands, and..." *sigh*

That's not just about one terrible result, is it? It's not even just about one terrible season IMO. I've honestly never seen ANY manager, caretaker or otherwise, look so utterly appalled in a post-match interview about a club he's got a deep personal connection to.

And moreover, when he says of course he wants to be involved "on some level if he can" - yes, obviously he means if a new manager doesn't bring his own people in, but IMO there's a pretty obvious subtext there too: he'd probably love to manage Wednesday in theory, but not this group of players. In fact he'd rather walk.

What the chuffing hell has been going on, seriously?

Jesus wept, this next appointment is absolutely bloody crucial to get right.

Great post.

I've not watched the video yet, but I listened to his post match interview on RS and got a lot of similar vibes. I too find it sad to see/hear someone like LB sound so dejected.

I think a part of the problem here is he's not the permanent manager, but for me, the overriding factor is that modern players, these players, aren't told the harsh realities anymore. Carlos particularly mollycoddled them, he didn't name names or question their commitment, Bullen seems trapped against his will, in a similar mentality.

What they all need is to be given some idea of what this all means to us, and therefore be made aware of their responsibility to run their foookin legs off and fight for every second of every game. 

It seems even the fans now want a manager with a fancy coat, who will tell us all about the importance of "transition". Me, I'd much rather have someone I know was making sure the players gave 100% effort as an absolute minimum, who didn't offer them somewhere to hide, who wouldn't hold back in telling them how it is. 

I fear for us right now, because without someone issuing some home truths, we could find ourselves in real trouble.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Are you really excusing the players for that performance today because a caretaker manager didn’t motivate them

I'm not excusing the players for any performance, they should have some pride and at least put the effort in.

However the same problems are still there since Carlos left. For whatever reason the players don't seem motivated and don't seem to want to play for the "manager".

1 minute ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Great post.

I've not watched the video yet, but I listened to his post match interview on RS and got a lot of similar vibes. I too find it sad to see/hear someone like LB sound so dejected.

I think a part of the problem here is he's not the permanent manager, but for me, the overriding factor is that modern players, these players, aren't told the harsh realities anymore. Carlos particularly mollycoddled them, he didn't name names or question their commitment, Bullen seems trapped against his will, in a similar mentality.

What they all need is to be given some idea of what this all means to us, and therefore be made aware of their responsibility to run their foookin legs off and fight for every second of every game. 

It seems even the fans now want a manager with a fancy coat, who will tell us all about the importance of "transition". Me, I'd much rather have someone I know was making sure the players gave 100% effort as an absolute minimum, who didn't offer them somewhere to hide, who wouldn't hold back in telling them how it is. 

I fear for us right now, because without someone issuing some home truths, we could find ourselves in real trouble.

Spot on mate. And watch the interview - his face and manner says an awful lot that I didn't pick up at all from the RS audio alone.

• Thanks 1

Looked a broken man really felt for him. Top bloke.

Amazing how apparently only 3 players had stood up to be counted in that dressing room. Wonder who they were and who just melted in to the shadows or didn't give a damn.

Agree he wanted to say something but couldn't for whatever reason or thought he shouldn't. 

Something is very wrong and us supporter's are being kept in the dark. 

Carlos kept giving the impression he wanted to say something. 

Gutted. 

Edited by Vic Flange

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

Spot on mate. And watch the interview - his face and manner says an awful lot that I didn't pick up at all from the RS audio alone.

I will do, might wait til tomorrow, think it'd only make me angry...

Not as angry as Moaty like

lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Owlinmad said:

I'm not excusing the players for any performance, they should have some pride and at least put the effort in.

However the same problems are still there since Carlos left. For whatever reason the players don't seem motivated and don't seem to want to play for the "manager".

They don’t seem to want to play for the fans, the club, their team mates, their personal pride their extortionate wages either

Perhaps it’s the players fault...... 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Oh yeah I totally agree, not for one second do I think he was holding back about DC - totally the players, and the coddling.

He looked genuinely choked about DC's input and continued respect. I don't doubt it either.

I know he’s not the bloke for the job, but he loves this club. It’s so clear to see. I mean how many caretaker managers would say things like “we need a new manager in ASAP”. From caretaker managers we’d normally hear that they’ve applied or willing to stay on etc. 

Not Bully, He knows he’s probably not the man for the job, so he’s encouraging the club to appoint someone ASAP for the good of the club.  I have so much respect for him for that. 

I do hope he sticks around in some capacity. I think he’s an excellent ambassador for the club. As we (hopefully) move forward, we need people in the club who “get it”. 

Edited by bigdan2003