Re: that Lee Bullen post-match

Now, be clear, I'm not absolving ANYONE involved with that shambles today of responsibility, Bullen included - as caretaker, he has to be - but this press conference is pretty extraordinary if you see what I see:

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/watch-post-match-reaction/

What do I see? I see a bloke who's so angry he's on the verge of tears - and not just about today. I've always had him pegged as a bit of a yes man, but watching that I'm no longer so sure.

He looks to me like he's biting his lip throughout, holding back on saying something he knows he mustn't say. Something about the whole regime over the past couple of years. Something about money, and privilege, and graft, and honesty, and the Sheffield Wednesday that he knows and loves. (The Wednesday of 20 years ago, during a particularly lowly spell when representing the club was a genuine blood, sweat and tears toil, and when a fairly small close-knit crew of relatively little-known footballers were tasked with trying to get us back up the table from the abject depths we'd slumped to.)

He looks absolutely fuming that today's lot just fundamentally don't get that.

Am I crazy? Reading far too much into things?

Maybe, but watching that interview back I can't shake the feeling I'm right. Especially when he says "two or three of them [TWO OR THREE?! FFS] in there stood up and were vocal, but..." ...and then he just clams up and looks as if he's trying not to go off on one, spewing expletives and naming names that have been winding him up for months. In fact, he looks a split second away from calling specific individuals out at least 3-4 times in that interview. I'm almost amazed he managed to keep it professional and clean.

"It's just wrong."

"DC came in and shook their hands, and..." *sigh*

That's not just about one terrible result, is it? It's not even just about one terrible season IMO. I've honestly never seen ANY manager, caretaker or otherwise, look so utterly appalled in a post-match interview about a club he's got a deep personal connection to.

And moreover, when he says of course he wants to be involved "on some level if he can" - yes, obviously he means if a new manager doesn't bring his own people in, but IMO there's a pretty obvious subtext there too: he'd probably love to manage Wednesday in theory, but not this group of players. In fact he'd rather walk.

What the chuffing hell has been going on, seriously?

Jesus wept, this next appointment is absolutely bloody crucial to get right.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It might have been good for the club if he had just said what was on his mind instead of biting his lip tbf

You might be right. It would've been instant curtains for him though, and then what for the team? He's putting the club first, rather than his wage packet IMO, which he clearly knows he may only be picking up for another couple of weeks anyway.

Just now, EcclesallOwl said:

The biting of the lip might just be that he didn't want to swear/abuse some of the pathetic players that 'played' today. 

Well yeah exactly. Or rather, he DID want to, but he knows it's not to the overall benefit of the team right now.

Perhaps he'll remain a pro to the end, but based on that interview, if he does go then personally I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't keep quiet for long.

2 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It might have been good for the club if he had just said what was on his mind instead of biting his lip tbf

I think he was pretty direct and honest to be fair. 

Told it as it is, given his position.

Significantly more honest than his predecessor that’s for sure. 

He was a mixture of emotions to me.

Anger that the players he's put his trust in produced an abject performance for the 2nd consecutive match & visibly upset that the club he's grown to love are now in its current predicament albeit partly his responsibility.

It's also plainly obvious that he doesn't want the head coaches job & wants out of the caretaker role as soon as possible.

He can't motivate the players and they aren't playing for him (sounds familiar).

Could that suggest the players have the same opinion of him as they seemed to have for Carlos ?

In fact some of the players have spoken out in support of Carlos since he has gone, have any done so for LB ?

He's a bit too close to the players - and they've let him down.

These are players who probably care, but not really enough.

They're getting well paid, some have only got a few months left on their contract and are mentally weak.  Not ever person is a shouter - we seem to have a dressing room of turtles who go into their shell when the tough gets going.

Edited by davey_wells

5 minutes ago, Moaty78 said:

You u tail 

So saying Bullens interview was straight talking is controversial? 

I didnt comment either way  on team selection or team performance (although both were awful)

You are clueless pal. 

Edited by RichSheffWeds

Bullen was asked to do the job - whatever you think of his tactics today, you have to watch that and be moved that a man who clearly loves the club and served us well, is near to tears and is visible angry, frustrated and depressed.

What ever happens to LB, when the new coach comes in, i just want to say all the best to him.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Now, be clear, I'm not absolving ANYONE involved with that shambles today of responsibility, Bullen included - as caretaker, he has to be - but this press conference is pretty extraordinary if you see what I see:

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/watch-post-match-reaction/

What do I see? I see a bloke who's so angry he's on the verge of tears - and not just about today. I've always had him pegged as a bit of a yes man, but watching that I'm no longer so sure.

He looks to me like he's biting his lip throughout, holding back on saying something he knows he mustn't say. Something about the whole regime over the past couple of years. Something about money, and privilege, and graft, and honesty, and the Sheffield Wednesday that he knows and loves. (The Wednesday of 20 years ago, during a particularly lowly spell when representing the club was a genuine blood, sweat and tears toil, and when a fairly small close-knit crew of relatively little-known footballers were tasked with trying to get us back up the table from the abject depths we'd slumped to.)

He looks absolutely fuming that today's lot just fundamentally don't get that.

Am I crazy? Reading far too much into things?

Maybe, but watching that interview back I can't shake the feeling I'm right. Especially when he says "two or three of them [TWO OR THREE?! FFS] in there stood up and were vocal, but..." ...and then he just clams up and looks as if he's trying not to go off on one, spewing expletives and naming names that have been winding him up for months. In fact, he looks a split second away from calling specific individuals out at least 3-4 times in that interview. I'm almost amazed he managed to keep it professional and clean.

"It's just wrong."

"DC came in and shook their hands, and..." *sigh*

That's not just about one terrible result, is it? It's not even just about one terrible season IMO. I've honestly never seen ANY manager, caretaker or otherwise, look so utterly appalled in a post-match interview about a club he's got a deep personal connection to.

And moreover, when he says of course he wants to be involved "on some level if he can" - yes, obviously he means if a new manager doesn't bring his own people in, but IMO there's a pretty obvious subtext there too: he'd probably love to manage Wednesday in theory, but not this group of players. In fact he'd rather walk.

What the chuffing hell has been going on, seriously?

Jesus wept, this next appointment is absolutely bloody crucial to get right.

I think he’s trying not to say something that will make things worse in the dressing room. Either get the players backs up or completely destroy confidence. You could see he wanted to rip into them, but held back. 

In terms of Chansiri shaking the players hands. I took that snippet as a “they didn’t deserve that respect” because he went on to say “I feel sorry for the chairman, he’s done so much for this club, so much”. That’s the second time in a couple of weeks he’s said that.  

If he was holding back from saying something about Chansiri then you’d think he wouldn’t say anything positive about him. 

Edited by bigdan2003