The memory that takes you back....

12 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Walking down Hermies Rd for night matches in the late 60’s and gradually, gradually seeing that massive illuminated sign at the back of the open air Kop coming into view. Then, you’d see the floodlight pylons bathing the ground in light...just used to look so friendly and you couldn’t wait to be inside. It really was quite magical to a 10/11year old...shame some of the football didn’t quite match the setting!:tango:

Soz mate. Typing exactly the same thing!

44 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

The smell of embrocation and rubbing oils coming up from under the old South....... Ahhh, matchday. I'm a wide eyed kid again wanting to head it like Chapman, hit it like Hirst and cross like Marwood.

Is that a bit weird..... lol

No that's not weird at all.

I'm now 48 years old, sometimes feel as though my body is falling apart.

But give me a football and I am 14 or 15 again, no toy/gadget in the world or computer game, will ever even come remotely close to the feeling of having a football at my feet. 

I don't think that feeling will ever go away, somethings you just don't grow out of.

The body may be too old but the head and heart still loves that feeling of dribbling or striking a football.

How many of us "older" lot, when walking through a park and seeing kids playing football are hoping (praying) that, that ball comes our way so we can once again have a kick and show these young whipper snappers how it should be done? 

Or is it just me that's a sad old git? ☺

Edited by OWL1969

I'd been to games before with my dad from the early 70's, but one of the first games, if not the first game, that I went to see Wednesday with just a mate, was the first game in the famous FA cup 3rd tie against Arsenal in 1979, which we eventually bravely lost in a 4th reply, by which time 3rd division Wednesday had won the nations respect and hearts.

I remember loving it on the Kop - when my dad took me we'd go in the south stand. I also remember throwing a snowball at Arsenal keeper Pat Jennings, it never cleared the kop, but I felt like 10 men, as a wide eyed 14 year old and absolutely loved it.

Happy days. 

UTO

The 1968 5-4 win over Man Utd, as mentioned by others.

The 2-0 win at Anfield the season after we had lost there in the League Cup replay.  We sang "we'll be back" after the cup replay and we did indeed go back and won - great memories.

The first game back in the First Division when Varadi scored against Forest after we broke away from defending a corner.

All have their place in my memory and I'll take them to my grave.  

The bloke, white coat, with the sign proclaiming that the End is Nigh at the bottom of Leppings Lane. Various comments walking past that it would be if Larry May was centre half. 

As noted previously, the smell of linament and tobacco from the dressing rooms that used to waft up from the South Stand, in the gennell that I believe is still there. 

Going home after the match and trying to work out from how many TV vans were present, if we were first up on Match of the Day. 

1 hour ago, Kevan said:

The 2-0 win at Anfield the season after we had lost there in the League Cup replay.  We sang "we'll be back" after the cup replay and we did indeed go back and won - great memories.

The first game back in the First Division when Varadi scored against Forest after we broke away from defending a corner.

I got married the day of the first game back in the first division 25-8-84 mates and family were fuming.

The one that takes me back is reading we were getting Steve Burtenshaw from the mighty arsenal.

1 hour ago, Kevan said:

I got married the day of the first game back in the first division 25-8-84 mates and family were fuming.

The one that takes me back is reading we were getting Steve Burtenshaw from the mighty arsenal.

10 minutes ago, elvin parsnip said:

Zenith data cup match when Sheridan scored a great goal - over 30000 there - night match - think it was Sheridan’s home debut- might be wrong

Not sure if it was his home debut, but his actual debut was at Forest. We won 1-0 with a great own goal, and Phil King made his debut also. It lagged it down.