The memory that takes you back....

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Wednesday beating Blackburn 5-2.... my first match. Swan, Layne Fantham, Dobson et al.

The 5-4 against the European Champions is my next strongest memory. Stuff of dreams.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, abdiwonderland said:

The 5-4 against the EC? Guessing slightly before my time, ill look that one up. 

1968. Best, Charlton, Crerand, Law etc. Those that were present will never forget it.

The smell of embrocation and rubbing oils coming up from under the old South....... Ahhh, matchday. I'm a wide eyed kid again wanting to head it like Chapman, hit it like Hirst and cross like Marwood.

Is that a bit weird..... lol

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

The smell of embrocation and rubbing oils coming up from under the old South....... Ahhh, matchday. I'm a wide eyed kid again wanting to head it like Chapman, hit it like Hirst and cross like Marwood.

Blimey yes!

No it's not weird IMO.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Swfc related

No one particular match.

But the Charlton and Wilkinson era.

The awe I got on my visit  to Hillsborough and when I first saw it full.

As for football in general.

1.Standing up (the swaying, surges and chanting)

2 The old football smell.

A cross between the smell of smoke from cigs, cigars and pipes and bovril  and pies. Never smoked but how I miss that old football smell (except the farts) and being able to just turn up and stand in the "usual" spot and know I would be with friends and the same people each week without having the hassle of buying tickets together.

3 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Swfc related

No one particular match.

But the Charlton and Wilkinson era.

The awe I got on my visit  to Hillsborough and when I first saw it full.

As for football in general.

1.Standing up (the swaying, surges and chanting)

2 The old football smell.

A cross between the smell of smoke from cigs, cigars and pipes and bovril  and pies. Never smoked but how I miss that old football smell (except the farts) and being able to just turn up and stand in the "usual" spot and know I would be with friends and the same people each week without having the hassle of buying tickets together.

Exactly that. Couldn't have summed it up any better. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Somebody somewhere was always smoking a cigar that you could smell...and somebody always had rubbed 'deep heat' on themselves.....could have been the same bloke we will never know.  But that combination of smells is so evocative.

Walking down Hermies Rd for night matches in the late 60’s and gradually, gradually seeing that massive illuminated sign at the back of the open air Kop coming into view. Then, you’d see the floodlight pylons bathing the ground in light...just used to look so friendly and you couldn’t wait to be inside. It really was quite magical to a 10/11year old...shame some of the football didn’t quite match the setting!:tango:

11 minutes ago, Tyto Alba said:

Somebody somewhere was always smoking a cigar that you could smell...and somebody always had rubbed 'deep heat' on themselves.....could have been the same bloke we will never know.  But that combination of smells is so evocative.

Hope it wasn't the same person. Deep Heat is highly flammable. The cigar might have made him go up in smoke!!