The memory that takes you back....

2 hours ago, BDM4nil said:

I'd been to games before with my dad from the early 70's, but one of the first games, if not the first game, that I went to see Wednesday with just a mate, was the first game in the famous FA cup 3rd tie against Arsenal in 1979, which we eventually bravely lost in a 4th reply, by which time 3rd division Wednesday had won the nations respect and hearts.

I remember loving it on the Kop - when my dad took me we'd go in the south stand. I also remember throwing a snowball at Arsenal keeper Pat Jennings, it never cleared the kop, but I felt like 10 men, as a wide eyed 14 year old and absolutely loved it.

Happy days. 

UTO

So it was you who threw that bloody snowball was it lol .

Like so many on here , the 5-4 massacre of manure is one of my abiding memories. As is a certain night a few years later against their city rivals, sadly.

But there's also DINK and Cardiff and hundreds of other matches that when mentioned gets my memories working overtime. I'll take the bouncing stands at Wembley to my grave. We also made the stand in Cardiff bounce too.

C'MON THE WEDNESDAY !!!!

WAWAW

Oh aye, and another abiding memory is my old fella showing his caring side as we squeezed our way through that narrow passage way under the Ozzie Owl Club/Restaurant, “Get thi ‘ands art o” thi pockets lad, if tha falls tha’ll not gerrup ageean!” 

None of your “ Don’t worry fair offspring, I will catch you should you fall”

:picnic:

• Haha 1

1993 FA Cup semi final forgotten who played at the Old Wembley,  my Dad gave me the choice of this match or the league cup final against Arsenal,     thankfully I picked the right one.  we were going on holiday to Spain the next day of the league cup final,  We went down on the coaches,   I think the meeting point was somewhere in the city centre but I dont remember where,  Sheffield City centre has changed a lot since than. 

My Dad still goes to some matches now,   still things Jordan Rhodes first name is Justin Rhodes.   

5 hours ago, abdiwonderland said:

Sounds like a great game. 12 years before I was even an urge...

The best game of my life.

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 5 MANCHESTER UNITED 4

Saturday 31 August 1968

The visit to Hillsborough of reigning European champions Manchester United fired the imagination of Wednesday fans, with a bumper crowd of 52,931 welcoming a star-studded team that included eight of the side that had beat Benfica at Wembley to become the first English team to win the European Cup. Such household names as Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and George Best were on show for the Red Devils, but after just two minutes they were behind when Tony Dunne failed to cut out David Ford’s forward pass and Jack Whitham hit a great shot from outside the area that flashed passed Alex Stepney. Soon after, Dunne was forced to leave the field injured, substitute Francis Burns taking his place, and after 11 minutes of play the scores were level – Best, European Player of the Year, firing home after a great individual run. Three minutes later the visitors went ahead as Wednesday ‘keeper Peter Springett could only push out a Best shot for Law to crash the loose ball into the net.

The play continued to switch from end to end and it was 2-2 when John Ritchie headed home from David Ford’s centre. The fans must have been breathless by now and the scoring did not abate, a United free-kick being headed on by Brian Kidd for Law to hit in a first-time shot off the cross bar. Next, Alex Stepney saved brilliantly from Ford to keep United in front, and the Owls then struck the woodwork again, Ford being the unlucky man. With eight minutes left of the first half, the match seemed to have swung convincingly in the visitors direction, as Law knocked on a low centre from Kidd to allow Bobby Charlton to fire home one of his trademark shots from outside of the penalty area. Wednesday were not finished though, and an incredible 45 minutes ended 4-3 to United as Whitham netted again for the Owls, driving home from John Fantham’s centre. It took Wednesday just two minutes of the second half to draw level, but they needed help from visiting player Stiles as he headed into his own net when trying to clear the ball from Ford’s free-kick. The club’s electric scoreboard credited Whitham, who was close to Stiles, as the scorer, but it was clearly all the work of England World Cup winner Stiles! After 56 minutes Wednesday fans went wild as Don Megson’s 30-yard shot crashed into the net to put the Owls ahead. The celebrations were cut short by an offside flag, however. Both sides were pushing for a winner and Springett had to dive full length to save Charlton’s shot. With 15 minutes remaining, this amazing game was decided, when Stepney could not hold onto Ford’s low centre and Whitham was on hand to complete his hat-trick and give the Owls a 5-4 win. Wednesday had to hang on as United pressed for an equaliser – at times, everyone apart from Stepney was in the Wednesday half – but the Owls almost grabbed a sixth with five minutes remaining when Ritchie spurned a simple chance, firing high into the Kop. With three minutes left Nobby Stiles’ shot beat Springett, but Vic Mobley got back to turn the goal-bound shot from off the line for a corner. It was the last action in arguably the greatest game ever played at Hillsborough.

Sheffield Wednesday: R.D Springett, G. Young, D.H. Megson, (captain), S. Ellis, V.J. Mobley, P. Eustace, J. Whitham, J. McCalliog, J.H Ritchie, D. Ford, J. Fantham. Unused Sub: A Warboys.

Manchester United: A.C. Stepney, S.A Brennan, A.P. Dunne, (F. Burns 3 mins), J. Fitzpatrick, D. Sadler, N.P. Stiles, W. Morgan, B. Kidd, R. Charlton, D. Law, G. Best.

Referee: W.S. Castle (Sedgley, Worcs).