Carlos Carvalhal : ""All the teams in the season will have a bad period"

Sheffield Wednesday SWFC.jpg

Championship football returns this weekend following the international break and Carlos Carvalhal says his side are in a good way to progress in the campaign.

One key quality the head coach has outlined is the ability to control the emotions.

Having come through a tricky spell in the season, Wednesday have reacted superbly with back to back wins over Millwall and Aston Villa.

But not just the wins, Carlos has been buoyed by performances over the past four games and believes a big part of that has been about controlling emotions and keeping faith.

He explained: “When you are in a competition like this, the balance is important.

“To drive the team to a good way in the bad moments because all the teams in the season will have a bad period.

“With some teams in the bad period, there will be panic so they will be more down, some teams will control the emotions and believe in themselves and continue on the way.

“I believe we are doing exactly this and we are in a better position in this moment. We are not completely happy in this moment, of course, but we are in a good way to achieve a good position.”

Owlstalk Shop

Our losses this season have all felt hugely disproportionately disappointing.

1-0 at Preston 'cos everyone had banged on about getting a fast start unlike previous years

2-4 home to Blades 'cos (well 'cos of bleedin' everything) we turned a potential great story, 2-2 from 2-0 down, peach of a goal by Joao, into the ultimate nightmare and embarrassment

1-0 at Birmingham 'cos we'd just lost to the Blades and Brum were bottom three

1-0 at Bolton 'cos they were dead last and hadn't scored for 8 games FFS FFS FFS and more FFS's

2-0 at Derby 'cos Loovens blatantly pushes a guy in the back second minute and we're a goal down and ten men and the whole game just sucked for us.

Carlos counts the Derby game as the turning point though. I wonder. We really need a run of good results, starting Saturday. UTO.

3 hours ago, qantas said:

Kinell....can't the bloke just generalise, most teams do have a dodgy spell, if unusually some team or other doesn't then so be it, too many people looking too hard to bring him down at the minute...in my opinion.

A defeat on Saturday and the Carlos Out threads and polls will start up again. Whether some fans like it or not he’s here for the season and I think it’s just a case of accepting this whether you are in the In or Out camp. 

The start this season hasn’t been too dissimilar to the last two seasons in all honesty. I just feel the presence of the syrups, our loss to them, their current league position and our inability to get off to a stronger start has heightened our current frustration and disappointment with all things Wednesday particularly Carlos.

I think the best time to take stock will be around the halfway point and see where we are. I suspect we’ll push on and challenge for a play-off place and if we achieve that then 3 consecutive Top 6 finishes would represent a decent achievement for Carlos as not many managers/head coaches achieve this. 

That said another play-off failure will probably be the tipping point once and for all and there more than likely will be a parting of the ways but I personally wouldn't be surprised to see Mr Chansiri stick with him but Carlos then would be under enormous pressure to mount a Top 2 challenge which most of us due to what we have witnessed during his time here doubt he can?

Though whoever follows Carlos has a tough act to follow IMO.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

The most frustrating thing is not the losses per say every team will have them, it's losing to sides who are really struggling at the time and should be absolute 3 points nailed on games I.e Bolton, Birmingham. When other teams are hammering these teams and we struggle to come away with a 1.0 loss it's hard to accept. Thoses three points here and there could make the difference between an automatic or playoff place come the season end

Let's  hope we push on an recover as quickly as possible.

Guest mrbluesky
4 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Sorry Carlos, but your spin counts for nothing.

After 2 failures, you categorically promised promotion. Deliver results not waffle, and you'll be fine.

Yup.

I agree that most teams will have a bad spell, but now that we've had ours, it gives us less room for error in the future.

When I look at the top 6, there isn't one side in there that I think are good enough to go through the entire season without hitting a similar spell but we just need to make sure that when they do, we take full advantage.

4 hours ago, bobowl said:

We all know this International break will stuff us, it always does. While other teams are using the two weeks to study there next opponents, we have a 2 week holiday. 

It's given you two weeks to come up with something else to slag the club off with...can't be all bad lol 

18 hours ago, trumbullowl said:

Our losses this season have all felt hugely disproportionately disappointing.

1-0 at Preston 'cos everyone had banged on about getting a fast start unlike previous years

2-4 home to Blades 'cos (well 'cos of bleedin' everything) we turned a potential great story, 2-2 from 2-0 down, peach of a goal by Joao, into the ultimate nightmare and embarrassment

1-0 at Birmingham 'cos we'd just lost to the Blades and Brum were bottom three

1-0 at Bolton 'cos they were dead last and hadn't scored for 8 games FFS FFS FFS and more FFS's

2-0 at Derby 'cos Loovens blatantly pushes a guy in the back second minute and we're a goal down and ten men and the whole game just sucked for us.

Carlos counts the Derby game as the turning point though. I wonder. We really need a run of good results, starting Saturday. UTO.

weve been awful for at least 12 months