Alan Biggs - Do Sheffield Wednesday players deserve Carlos Carvalhal’s protection?

Not sure Biggs stacks up.

You can't blame players for recruitment that's provided an unbalanced squad and messy mix with too many on last big pay day.

Oh , Steve, here's £30 k per week for next 4 years.

Errr, oh , ok then if you insisit , but Norwich only offered a 3 -year deal at £25 k weekly.

Come on. Reminds me of mad Leeds times when Seth and his agent went in for £25 k per week and Whites' opening was £30 k.

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

profile.png

Good read from Alan Biggs this morning in the Sheffield Star

"I seriously doubt whether Carlos Carvalhal has had any real managerial control over what I think is a fundamental flaw in the transfer operation"

"Beating Leeds 3-0 is a case for the prosecution and not the defence. Hitting that high makes the subsequent low at rock-bottom Bolton all the more damning. Average players and teams can be forgiven inconsistency; not ones with this quality"

"Every player should take a long hard look at himself. Where are the leaders for a start?"

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/football-2-33112/sheffield-wednesday/alan-biggs-do-sheffield-wednesday-players-deserve-carlos-carvalhal-s-protection-1-8811992

Biggs saying the bleedin obvious as usual. :picnic:

11 hours ago, steveger said:

I agree with the Roland Rat lookalike this time, some of the players need to grow some balls and a backbone.....

No doubt they would all be performing 150% if a new coach came in and they had to 

This along with lots of other posts in this tread has given me the giggles!!!

In all seriousness though I feel like a culture of complacency has taken over the majority of the players and staff at the club. It is obvious we have a good team and it is obvious that when we really want to play well we do. However when you are playing near enough the same first XI every week, haven't made any major formation/player changes in the last 2 years whilst still making the playoffs and offering top dollar contracts with lucrative transfer fees it almost creates a breeding ground for inconsistent performances. How do you motivate your team when you are already giving everyone exactly what they want?

We're being way too easy on the players. Far too many who are now in the mindset of 'only play well when it matters cause I'm already earning money I couldn't get elsewhere' or some that are 'Manager likes me and there's no real competition for my role, i'll always make the team'. I'm not saying these types won't give 110% every game, but surely with those attitudes in the dressing room we aren't getting the best out of the players. Isn't a big deal when its just one or two individuals (e,g Forestieri saga) however when it seems like its almost the whole collective who are struggling it makes you wonder.

CC has to change things up and give the players a wake up call. 

Experiment with the formation.

Drop the 'undroppables'.

Give younger/unproven players a chance.

Take risks in the loan market.

Do something!!!

Times like this make me wonder how valuable a presence like Hutchinson or Semedo are. Real leaders in the dressing room who you know aren't playing for money, you know they want to win and love to compete. Players who get in someones face when they are slacking off or underperforming, one of the reasons why we've suffered so badly this season in particular defensively is without leaders on the pitch like Hutchinson or Loovens. In my opinion the likes of Jones, Lee, Reach, Hunt, Fox, Van Anken even on occasion Lees are too soft. I want passion, show me you care about winning or losing, i can respect that, I  can buy into paying £36 a week to watch that. 

Pretty much the nail on the head:

Sheffield Wednesday and the coach are being let down by the players, not the other way around.

A £9 million striker who couldn't find the back of the net from six yards out playing Blind School FC, and some very dire goalkeeping efforts have hamstrung his team.

Edited by Indoor Owl

Got to agree with ‘he’d make a good weatherman’ comment. On the flip side however you get a journo asking a manager a fair straight question and he turns into Jimmy the Gent, starts banging his fist on the table and doing stuff with a twenty pound note.

I do detect the local journo’s breaking ranks and opening up a bit more with criticism so pressure is building.

Jon Newsome for me is always an interesting read.