Alan Biggs - Do Sheffield Wednesday players deserve Carlos Carvalhal’s protection?

profile.png

Good read from Alan Biggs this morning in the Sheffield Star

"I seriously doubt whether Carlos Carvalhal has had any real managerial control over what I think is a fundamental flaw in the transfer operation"

"Beating Leeds 3-0 is a case for the prosecution and not the defence. Hitting that high makes the subsequent low at rock-bottom Bolton all the more damning. Average players and teams can be forgiven inconsistency; not ones with this quality"

"Every player should take a long hard look at himself. Where are the leaders for a start?"

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/football-2-33112/sheffield-wednesday/alan-biggs-do-sheffield-wednesday-players-deserve-carlos-carvalhal-s-protection-1-8811992

Owlstalk Shop

28 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

"I seriously doubt whether Carlos Carvalhal has had any real managerial control over what I think is a fundamental flaw in the transfer operation"

"Where are the leaders for a start?"

We didn't recruit leaders because of a flawed recruitment policy.

Carlos attacks this group of players and that'll be it, season over and Carlos for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like Biggs. But, if we were top of the league rather than where we are now, would he have made an article saying he'd misjudged the side and we were doing much better than he thought blah blah? 

The whole not saying a great deal, then saying "I told you so" really gripes me.

I agree with the points about his involvement in the transfer policy at the club but that is another issue, since he has been here we seem to have veered away from what CC was initially brought in as which was head coach. He used to remind us in press conferences and at every opportunity that he was simply the head coach nothing more. Over the past season up to now he is now referring to himself as the manager which and (this may be reading to much into the scenario) that he know has more of an influence over all club matters rather than just first team head coach. Not necessarily complete but more, this theory would tend to be backed up by the dismissal of people like Paul Aldridge and so on but this is simply speculation because realistically none of us actually know. 

The players must take some form of the responsibility as ultimately for 90 minutes they are the ones out there, application and concentration should be a basic requirement for any professional footballer and the calamity that lead to Bolton's second at the weekend is un-acceptable, the coach can not be blamed for that and that level of responsibility lies firmly at the door of the players.  

However it is the managers job to select the squad, formation, style and patterns of play and I do not think there is a Wednesday fan out there who would argue that we have seen a change in this from CC over his tenure here. We have gone from a free flowing attacking high pressing side who got the ball into wide area's and delivered with quality. Tempo was the order of the day in his first season, great to watch and got results. 2nd season he openly admitted he needed to change the style and although it was not as easy on the eye he kept the same defensive solidity, whilst finding new ways for the team to score goals, not as pretty but effective. 

This season may be the perfect storm in that players are under performing so far bar maybe 1 or 2 and CC has not found a new way to change and adapt this team to make us successful. Whether he has a handle on the transfer policy is one matter, currently on the playing side of things teams have us figured out in this style of play and IF he is to stay in the job he must find a new way to get wins. Whether this be by a change in system or personal which I feel is large issue at the moment. Opposition teams can predict our starting line up and shape near enough 3 weeks in advance of playing us, so they know exactly who and what they are walking out to. Fine when you are winning great why change but  the point made about the rotation policy by Biggs in the article is an interesting one as I actually think that would benefit us greatly at the moment. We are inconsistent at this moment in time, why not try something different.  If not and results do not improve he will be shown the door, simple as. 

Just another local journo, doing what they do best. Turning that screw. Stirring and looking for clickbait. Especially as we aren't doing that well.

It's easy chucking hand grenades when a side is in poor form, while sucking up to the rivals. Lost alot of respect this year for the local rag writers and BBC radio Sheffield.

Nothing we didn't already know.

Edited by Maddogbob