Megson Propaganda

9 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

It's beyond me how some people seem to remember the end of Megson's tenure. Someone on here said something like "everyone was calling for his head" I mean seriously wtf!? 

As I remember it the overwhelming majority were seriously pissed that he got the boot. Yes we were on a crap run, and doubts were starting to creep in for some, but Megson didn't get the chance to turn it around. He certainly didn't get the kind of support that CC is getting now. And yet, those who are so keen to give Carlos time to turn it around are the same people who say we were right to get rid of Megson the moment things looked to be on the slide!? For me you either believe in continuity or you don't. (Unless it's a ginger thing garymegson)

I can even accept the argument that MM got it right, after all, Jones came in, we went on a ridiculous run of form and got promoted. 

Yet somehow history (for some anyway) credits David Ronald Jones with that promotion. I mean come on!? The bloke spent the rest of his time here on the golf course and talking about badgers; dragging his miserable mug around press conferences and telling us all how lucky we were to have him. That was Gary Megson's team that went on that promotion run, it just happened that Jones was in the dugout. 

Some of us hold Megson in such high regard because he brought about an environment of discipline, passion and organisation this club hadn't seen for a decade or more. I think people are too quick to forget how low the club was when he was appointed. He may not have given us "total football", but a team playing with pride and belief was certainly something we had long been without.

He was never given the chance to finish the job. 

I'm sure Carlos will be extended greater courtesy. 

Excellent post

• Thanks 1

I didn’t expect so much reaction from my Megson propaganda poster!

But suppose it’s a stressful time and we all have opinions about what is best for the club.

Clearly change is needed, but let’s be honest - DC knows nothing about football. He probably doesn’t have a clue who Gary Megson is. Let’s just hope that he acts on the managerial front soon, the longer he waits the more we will stagnate.

Anyway, I’ve been using my time very wisely to create some merchandise for the ‘Cult of Megson’! 

Even if you are not a true believer in the movement, surely you respect the Ginger Legend for his overall contribution to SWFC over the years?

meggo legend.jpg

51 minutes ago, hirstyno9 said:

But suppose it’s a stressful time and we all have opinions about what is best for the club.

Clearly change is needed, but let’s be honest - DC knows nothing about football. He probably doesn’t have a clue who Gary Megson is. Let’s just hope that he acts on the managerial front soon, the longer he waits the more we will stagnate.

Anyway, I’ve been using my time very wisely to create some merchandise for the ‘Cult of Megson’! 

Even if you are not a true believer in the movement, surely you respect the Ginger Legend for his overall contribution to SWFC over the years?

meggo legend.jpg

Dont suppose you have stats of his owls playing and managerial careers

From what I can work out - in his 2 spells in all competitions Gary Megson made 285 appearances and scored 33 goals.

148 apps, 20 goals (1981 – 1984)

137 apps, 13 goals (1985 – 1989)

As manager; Games 62 (W28, D12, L22) = 45.16% win percentage.

Let’s not forget that Megson played for Wednesday in a Wembley cup final!

Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten that we were runners up in The Mercantile Credit Football Festival in 1988!!?

It's just possible megson might get us up.  But if folk complain the football is dire under Carlos, they're hardly likely to take to hoofball.

We've got a decent manager as it is.  You lot would've wanted Ferguson out if you were Man U fans.  We don't have a divine right to be top six.  The last time Wednesday were massive was about 1930.  

20 hours ago, Baggiehy said:

Pardon my sausage fingers:laugh: Seriously I always wondered what happend to Thompson. Who was a Sheffield born businessman (hence hiring the Megsons) I was perplexed why he didn't bid for you before MM. I know there was a big falling out at WBA just as our first promotion happened so that may explain it

what sort of football did you play under megson that got you up twice mate ?

just wondering if the megson haters are right 

7 hours ago, hirstyno9 said:

meggo legend.jpg

probably arrive before this seasons kit lol 

Always have fond memories of Megson's time with us.  

Thought he was harshly and unjustly sacked by Milan at the time.  The plan was to have Ben10 on the left and Antonio on the right, which sadly Milan didn't fund at the time.  

I think one of Megson's greatest strength's is his ability to spot a player.

If Carlos wasn't our manager, then Megson would definitely be my first choice for sure. 

17 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Because they keep delivering

Why has Megson not been rehired since 2012? 

You do realise he's an assistant Manager in thhe Premier League and instrumental in the loan signing of Grzegorz Krychowiak, but facts hey

8 minutes ago, Baggiehy said:

You do realise he's an assistant Manager in thhe Premier League and instrumental in the loan signing of Grzegorz Krychowiak, but facts hey

seen my question few posts up mate?  ignore if you want thats fine...  git :biggrin:

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Baggiehy said:

I meant from a managerial perspective - making the point that he hasn’t been in charge of a side since 2012.

I dont have anything against Meggo and he did a fine job at The Hawthorns, but people seem to think he would be the answer based on his term here, something I don’t happen to agree with. 

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

what sort of football did you play under megson that got you up twice mate ?

just wondering if the megson haters are right 

To be Honest mate it was awful. but that was through years of mismanagement from the board. We didn't even how a scout which is why Don came.  The "Sell us your Stars" letter the year before leaving us the Laughing stock of West Midlands football. His style fitted the team he had. He still holds the club record for most 1-0 wins in a season. His 5 year record goes like this: Year 1 avoid relegation to league one and administration:Year 2: Playoff loss to Bolton:Year 3: Automatic in the famous Wo1ve5 choke year:Year 4: relegation:Year 5: Automatic bak to the Prem. From early 00's laughing stock to the last club standing That's why there's total Hero Worship for him here

8 minutes ago, Baggiehy said:

To be Honest mate it was awful. but that was through years of mismanagement from the board. We didn't even how a scout which is why Don came.  The "Sell us your Stars" letter the year before leaving us the Laughing stock of West Midlands football. His style fitted the team he had. He still holds the club record for most 1-0 wins in a season. His 5 year record goes like this: Year 1 avoid relegation to league one and administration:Year 2: Playoff loss to Bolton:Year 3: Automatic in the famous Wo1ve5 choke year:Year 4: relegation:Year 5: Automatic bak to the Prem. From early 00's laughing stock to the last club standing That's why there's total Hero Worship for him here

Hiya Baggiehy....

I don't mean any offense and I think you have been on here long enough to know that,

But ..How do Baggie fans feel about simply...."Being up there"?

Is it really any different from the Championship...?

I know Chelsea Man Utd, Arsenal etc trot up...but is it such a great day out if you beat them..but actually win...nowt?

Are the fans satisfied with it?...Or do you sorta stay pragmatic about it all?

On 17/10/2017 at 08:26, hirstyno9 said:

Just imagine the feel good factor!!

Here’s a little poster to inspire the revolution! Or should I say the cult!?

megson business.jpg

Beautiful colouring in, but we are Sheffield Wednesday mate. Get yer Wednesday blue pencil out!

Would the Ginger Mourinho be Carlos's number 2, like a good cop, bad cop thing to slap the players out of their lazy arsed attitude to "not letting the fans down"?

Megson would break 'em in hard, by firstly taking them up the back of the Kop, then getting them to watch the complete videos back to back of the players having a Wembley lie in, the Sheffield Derby no show and the Preston away debacle, cutting back to Wednesday fans singing our hearts out after losing to a very poor Hull.

Could make or break a few of them but we would know then who was ready to play for the fans instead of just talking about it. They have lets Carlos down big style and let us all down badly more often than they should be allowed to get away with it. 

Will it happen. Nah, not likely.

Edited by Ante's Bubbly
Misuse of the word irony

5 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Hiya Baggiehy....

I don't mean any offense and I think you have been on here long enough to know that,

But ..How do Baggie fans feel about simply...."Being up there"?

Is it really any different from the Championship...?

I know Chelsea Man Utd, Arsenal etc trot up...but is it such a great day out if you beat them..but actually win...nowt?

Are the fans satisfied with it?...Or do you sorta stay pragmatic about it all?

Personally I think it's time we went for a cup and I think Lai wants Europe if we stay up this year we will have been in the prem longer than Fulham were. Trust us to get a Billionaire owner just as China cuts off investmentlol I think realistically our next step is to try and emulate a xlub like Everton as a long term goal. The club has planning permission to uup stadium capacity to 33,000 but we need high finishes as we're compete with 2 other big clubs and one huge one in the vile. I think the minimum ambition should be 10th each season. I worry that we may stagnate just aiming for 40pts with Pulis 

3 minutes ago, steelowl said:

it's ask baggiehy a question night :biggrin:

I do get round to answering them though :biggrin:

11 hours ago, hirstyno9 said:

meggo legend.jpg

Great. Where can we buy them?