Carlos - A question

Guest RocketOwl

I don't think yesterday was ever going to be a footballing spectacle. In the end our extra quality helped us over the line in what was a battling performance against turgid opposition and conditions. But one thing that annoys me is the way we tend to start games, we started slow again. Looked disorganised at times. 

That's been a common theme for the last year, and it's annoying that it hasn't been nipped in the bud. 

5 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

I don't think yesterday was ever going to be a footballing spectacle. In the end our extra quality helped us over the line in what was a battling performance against turgid opposition and conditions. But one thing that annoys me is the way we tend to start games, we started slow again. Looked disorganised at times. 

That's been a common theme for the last year, and it's annoying that it hasn't been nipped in the bud. 

We didn't start slowly they pressed everywhere it was a battle the work their striker got through was incredible 

In fairness i keep reading poor and turgid about Brentford they could have and possibly should have been out of sight by half-time much like ourselves on Saturday but on both occasions our best players ( Bannan and Hooper in particular last night ) came through for us 

12 hours ago, Morepork said:

CC and several of his backroom staff have spent untold hours analysing our opposition in great detail and then the average fan who has no football credentials whatsoever describes their actions as utterly baffling, Mmmmm.

I assume they saw something that we missed and accept it as such.

We should just shut the forum down in that case.

12 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Right,just so as i'm clear to everyone on here, I DON'T CARE WHO PLAYS WHERE,(I'll leave all that cack to them that thinks they know better) I CARE ABOUT THE WIN...........PERIOD,BE IT AN INJURY TIME OFFSIDE GOAL, OR AN OWN GOAL.....thats it.

So why are you here then? We all want to discuss the game, the tactics, the players, the decisions, the manager etc. Its what makes this forum work.

If all anyone cares about is the win and that's all they want to talk about then fine, but I think your contribution is very limited and you're in the wrong place

13 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

Well done on naming an unchanged line up for as long as I can remember.

So why then start Lee left midfield? 

Utterley baffling.

Another silly tactical change that keeps happening is bringing Rhodes on upfront on his own. If this is what he wants to do to close a game out fair enough buy bring Nuhiu or Joao on then. It's not fair on Rhodes, it's not game and it's not helping him at all.

I think he does this to crowd the midfield and see the game out. He has done this the past two games and it worked - Just. He also obviously believes that Rhodes offers more in terms of snatching an additional goal out of nothing. He's probably right when compared to Nuhiu but Lucas has pace. You pay your money you take your choice.

Edited by mark1948

Unless my memory has gone he didn't bring Rhodes on to play on his own up front.

He brought him on to play with Hooper up top because Fletcher had been struggling for a while. 

He created the winner with his header when we were still playing two up front

The change to 5 in midfield once ahead is a different debate

First half was terrible, it looked like they hadn't scouted the opposition and Brentford loved our big pitch. They just stuck their wing backs on either touchline and sprayed the ball from side to side and outplayed us. we got very lucky to be at 1-1 at half-time. Negative

He gets them in at halftime and we come out and start pressing harder and playing more direct and much better tempo. Get the goal from just sheer pressure and then he changes the tactics to one up top to see the game out, Rhodes needs to develop better at playing as a lone man, but I think he did well in a difficult situation with Hooper and Fletcher needing to go off. Positive

Carlos isn't the best manager in the world, but he changed things and got the result. I'm sure there are better coaches out there, but there are some really bad ones too. So while the overall results are coming then happy with Carlos.

14 hours ago, Morepork said:

CC and several of his backroom staff have spent untold hours analysing our opposition in great detail and then the average fan who has no football credentials whatsoever describes their actions as utterly baffling, Mmmmm.

I assume they saw something that we missed and accept it as such.

Using this logic no fan should EVER have an opinion on tactics or team selection. Of course none of us are as qualified as any manager but that doesn't mean some points and opinions aren't valid. 

Guest RocketOwl
39 minutes ago, Owlin' Wolf said:

Using this logic no fan should EVER have an opinion on tactics or team selection. Of course none of us are as qualified as any manager but that doesn't mean some points and opinions aren't valid. 

Was the daftest logic I have seen on here in a long time.

With that logic, no manager would ever be under pressure either, as they know more then everyone else.

3 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

We won 

And it was a great win, much better then Forest because Brentford should have had 3 before we got a lucky break just before half time, but again I think Rocket raised a good point about starting with the same side that beat forest but shifting Bannan over was a bit of a strange one, also his substitutions for me invited them on to us more and at the end it was more luck that we gained 2 extra points but like everyone i'll take it, just think sometimes we can use our subs more wisely. 

Guest RocketOwl
59 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Crickey Rocket you really are softening towaŕds Rhodes.

Good on you.

Part logic part warning from then mods lol 

Brentford had done their home work.

Out front two press if they cannot get near the ball, a third man might join them, usually a wideman.

So they played the ball around at the back with three players,waiting for the three man press because the impatient Hillsborough crowd will demand it. Once it came they just played into the wingback and suddenly they have a 2 on 1 situation. Our fullbacks did very well. They targeted Reach and he coped well enough with little support.

Second half the whole team move 10/15 yards up the pitch. When we pressed we did it with the threes but because the rest of the team were so close they couldn't find the space and started knocking it long.

Our second goal changed the dynamic again as we started retreating, inviting pressure.

4 hours ago, Owlin' Wolf said:

I think you missed my point. I'm not trying to stifle debate. Read the OP again, it basically alludes to CC being an idiot and the OP being some kind of tactical genius.

How on earth can someone's actions be described as utterly mind boggling by the OP when he admits he doesn't understand the though process behind the decision.

Guest RocketOwl
3 minutes ago, A12owl said:

How can you get a warning about an opinion. 

Probably emphasised my opinion too much in fairness. Everyone knows I have my reservations but he's a Wednesday player and of course I want him to do well as it will mean we are, perhaps that wasn't coming across.