Carlos - A question

Guest RocketOwl

4 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I'd play big Dave with Rhodes. He needs a big player alongside him. We need to spend less time worrying about our opponents, and more time concentrating on what gets the best out of our own players. Let them worry about us for a change.

Bringing on from the subs bench presumably?

You surely wouldn't be suggesting dropping Hooper and Fletcher?

You can't play a 4-4-2 and accommodate 3 central midfielders without playing one out of position. 

It might be stating the obvious but that's the case. It's up to Carlos to either change the system or the personnel. Trouble is we don't have a left winger now that Reach had made the LB position his own, and FF is out. 

3-5-2 would be ideal but we don't seem

to have enough coverage at CB, not that's proven anyway. 

Tough decisions but I won't sympathise with Carlos whatever happens, it's his job to choose a preferred formation and ensure he has the squad to play it effectively over the course of a season.

It is alright criticising Carlos but love to see solutions.

People say Bannan must play high up the pitch 

People say Lee is a must play

People say Hooper has to play 

Hooper needs to play with another striker 

Last night they played with two fast wingers and two full backs pushed high up the pitch

This stopped our wide players tucking in

They played 3 in centre mid, so we were outnumbered in there

They picked up every loose ball first half, the ginger haired guy had freedom of the park

Hooper is good dropping into midfield when he gets on the ball but is not mobile enough to stop nimble midfielders running away from him

As for bringing Rhodes on, it worked he made the winning goal

Hooper had to go off he was being totally bypassed as they pushed on . The only issue was who to bring on. I cannot imagine any manager in the league going with RHodes and Joao at that stage

10 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

Starting Lee on the left of midfield was baffling if you can't see that fair enough.

Only 2 reasons I could see would be

1) Kieron lee is way behind on game time and although he wanted to keep him in, but didn't want to risk him getting injured again in the middle of the park against a very robust and combatative Brentford cm.

2) or Carlos wanted his defencive skills /awareness to nullify the threat posed down Brentfords right.

11 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Two excellent points.

He actually started Bannan left, and if you noticed he hadn't touched the ball until their goal. He immediately switched Bannan and Lee, and though Bannan looked ten times the player and took control of our game, Lee then looked a lost soul. 

I also thought Bannan and especially Lee hung Reach out to dry tonight. He got less cover from midfield than I have seen before.

Massive conundrum. Jones has done the business, but we are playing 3 CMs, a system that failed us badly last year. But in recent games it has got us results, and Reach at LB is proving successful.

As for Rhodes, I felt so sorry for him late on once Hooper left. Hopeless up front on his own, yet he and we had looked really good with Hooper. Carlos brought Boyd on instead of Rhodes on Saturday, and gave him no partner tonight instead of giving him Joao. Very negative decisions. Yes six points of course. But negative.

It's a real shame but he's got to stop shoehorning Lee and Bannan into the same side if we're playing a flat 4-4-2

5 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

It's a real shame but he's got to stop shoehorning Lee and Bannan into the same side if we're playing a flat 4-4-2

Certainly that's my view.

However, and it is the important however, this season we are winning those games. Last season we were dire with 3 CMs. 

Perhaps its unwise to read too much into last night? Brentford sent everything up their right wing, using the superb Watkins time and time again. Hats off to Brentford. Scary to watch as an oposing fan.

But yes, imo Lee is a fish out of water left, leaving us very unbalanced defensively and offesively. And Bannan is far far better centrally, where he controls games.

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Certainly that's my view.

However, and it is the important however, this season we are winning those games. Last season we were dire with 3 CMs. 

Perhaps its unwise to read too much into last night? Brentford sent everything up their right wing, using the superb Watkins time and time again. Hats off to Brentford. Scary to watch as an oposing fan.

But yes, imo Lee is a fish out of water left, leaving us very unbalanced defensively and offesively. And Bannan is far far better centrally, where he controls games.

It's very attacking but if he's to persist with those 2 I'd like to see 4-4-2 with diamond with Hooper dropping back and Rhodes coming in. 

10 hours ago, Morepork said:

Let's not have any mass debating on here!!

Seriously in relation to the OP's second point, first time I've ever wondered if there is some pressure on CC to play Rhodes, no way that's a mistake.

definitely not a mistake, it was a good decision.

Rhodes came on and made the winning goal

56 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

So which one would you leave out

And it is not really a flat 442

A flat 442 is what he has played in the last two away games with Boyd, Jones , Bannan and Reach

Edited by oldishowl

3 hours ago, Ballmeist said:

You can't play a 4-4-2 and accommodate 3 central midfielders without playing one out of position. 

It might be stating the obvious but that's the case. It's up to Carlos to either change the system or the personnel. Trouble is we don't have a left winger now that Reach had made the LB position his own, and FF is out. 

3-5-2 would be ideal but we don't seem

to have enough coverage at CB, not that's proven anyway. 

Tough decisions but I won't sympathise with Carlos whatever happens, it's his job to choose a preferred formation and ensure he has the squad to play it effectively over the course of a season.

Instead of playing Wallace who is naturally left footed on the right, we could play left where he can just get out swinging crosses in for our forwards instead of all this playing wide men on the wrong side for crossing. 

12 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

Well done on naming an unchanged line up for as long as I can remember.

So why then start Lee left midfield? 

Utterley baffling.

Another silly tactical change that keeps happening is bringing Rhodes on upfront on his own. If this is what he wants to do to close a game out fair enough buy bring Nuhiu or Joao on then. It's not fair on Rhodes, it's not game and it's not helping him at all.

Agree about the Rhodes comment - if he wasn't such a nice guy I bet he would be mightly Peed off!

12 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

Well done on naming an unchanged line up for as long as I can remember.

So why then start Lee left midfield? 

Utterley baffling.

Another silly tactical change that keeps happening is bringing Rhodes on upfront on his own. If this is what he wants to do to close a game out fair enough buy bring Nuhiu or Joao on then. It's not fair on Rhodes, it's not game and it's not helping him at all.

We won