Official January Transfer Rumours Thread..

Interesting non-deal for me is Sean Clare.

There was talk of him going back to Gillingham, but that was being linked to him signing a new contract first (out of contract in summer). 

So, with him staying, is that a sign that Jos is going to be using him in the first team, or do we have a Hirst mk2 situation?

Forest have massively inflated their wage bill on a bunch of bang average footballers and they aren’t going down nor up. It’s kept fans happy they’ve gone some business but makes no financial sense whatsoever. We’ve done it right by not wasting any money. Secure mid table, loads of quality in the squad to come back and a manager who looks very astute. Good stuff by Wednesday this window 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suzuki_San said:

We were after a left wing back though, so maybe his thinking is that when Bannan/Lee are fit, Reach can play there.  It's a weird one, as we've got so many injured, Jos really doesn't have a clue long term, which players he may want to keep or shift on.  

There will be some firm departures imo (ie Wallace, Loovens) yet the rest have contracts to play for. It’s new management with new systems etc. I’m sure a few players will return to the fold as they’re more suited. Likewise I expect a few old favourites to fade away.

Guest LittleG

Didn't really expect any signings but still kept on watching / listening in case something happened. Unfortunately going into the next set of matches with only Rhodes, Joao and Nuihu as our striking options then I fear the worst. I' not saying we will be relegated but we will be dragged into the battle. To look on the bright side my 9 year old grandson said we might win more matches next season if we do go down.

There has been no coherent strategy, and the blame for that lies at the very top, MrC

When he took over, he promised to modernise the club, to play attacking football, and that there would be continuity irrespective of who happened to be coach at the time Apart from the rash statement about promotion in 2 years, it all seemed to make sense, and I for one, bought into it

Carlos was eventually appointed, a coach who aspired to the new way of playing Most of the top clubs were starting to embrace the 4-2-3-1 system he pioneered

After a busy summer, recruiting 13 players, who were presumably brought in with that system in mind, we changed tack 8 games into the season In my opinion, that was a mistake, the results weren't bad, and it was still early days

However, the players adapted to the 4-4-2, and for the most part, continued to play exciting football

Season one, although it was to end in disappointment, couldn't really have gone much better

Despite this, it was more change in that second summer Instead of addressing the 2 or 3 clear areas where we were short, another 11 players were brought in, none addressing those shortcomings There were some dubious signings in what seemed another policy switch, where it seemed to me that we were recruiting players who had all seen better days Most of these were on big money contracts

The football in that second season was so far from the chairmans remit, of exciting football, that it seemed he had again changed his mind After another terrible window in January, and despite the turgid football, we managed to put together a late run, that took us into the play offs We were then undone by our safety first tactics, when the game was there for the taking

Season 3 started with, perhaps the biggest gaff in our recruitment history, when we paid the astronomical fee for a washed up Jordan Rhodes That signing is the main reason we are hamstrung recruitment wise 

On the field, it was the same dreary fare, with fitter, stronger and faster sides, finder it easier to avoid our attempts to negate them

Come Christmas, and we parted company with Carlos, after two and a half years at the helm Was this pre arranged? Maybe, Carlos walked into the Swansea job, and, in truth, there seemed to be a shift again in our recruitment policy, even before he left Players like Venancio and Van Aken, were a different direction

With Carlos gone, there was a chance for Mr C to get back to appointing a coach who would meet his remit of playing attacking football Strangely, he again took a different approach, with the appointment of the more pragmatic JL 

My point here is, there appears to be no coherent strategy from the chairman. Don't really have a problem with the current appointment, certainly it's more intriguing than the usual championship merry go round managers that were on offer However, I would like to see more joined up thinking from the top, especially when it comes to recruitment This is not meant to be overly critical of the chairman, he is new to football, and he is certainly well intentioned To protect his interests though, he needs to be a bit more savvy, and sort out a proper plan going forward

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

There has been no coherent strategy, and the blame for that lies at the very top, MrC

When he took over, he promised to modernise the club, to play attacking football, and that there would be continuity irrespective of who happened to be coach at the time Apart from the rash statement about promotion in 2 years, it all seemed to make sense, and I for one, bought into it

Carlos was eventually appointed, a coach who aspired to the new way of playing Most of the top clubs were starting to embrace the 4-2-3-1 system he pioneered

After a busy summer, recruiting 13 players, who were presumably brought in with that system in mind, we changed tack 8 games into the season In my opinion, that was a mistake, the results weren't bad, and it was still early days

However, the players adapted to the 4-4-2, and for the most part, continued to play exciting football

Season one, although it was to end in disappointment, couldn't really have gone much better

Despite this, it was more change in that second summer Instead of addressing the 2 or 3 clear areas where we were short, another 11 players were brought in, none addressing those shortcomings There were some dubious signings in what seemed another policy switch, where it seemed to me that we were recruiting players who had all seen better days Most of these were on big money contracts

The football in that second season was so far from the chairmans remit, of exciting football, that it seemed he had again changed his mind After another terrible window in January, and despite the turgid football, we managed to put together a late run, that took us into the play offs We were then undone by our safety first tactics, when the game was there for the taking

Season 3 started with, perhaps the biggest gaff in our recruitment history, when we paid the astronomical fee for a washed up Jordan Rhodes That signing is the main reason we are hamstrung recruitment wise 

On the field, it was the same dreary fare, with fitter, stronger and faster sides, finder it easier to avoid our attempts to negate them

Come Christmas, and we parted company with Carlos, after two and a half years at the helm Was this pre arranged? Maybe, Carlos walked into the Swansea job, and, in truth, there seemed to be a shift again in our recruitment policy, even before he left Players like Venancio and Van Aken, were a different direction

With Carlos gone, there was a chance for Mr C to get back to appointing a coach who would meet his remit of playing attacking football Strangely, he again took a different approach, with the appointment of the more pragmatic JL 

My point here is, there appears to be no coherent strategy from the chairman. Don't really have a problem with the current appointment, certainly it's more intriguing than the usual championship merry go round managers that were on offer However, I would like to see more joined up thinking from the top, especially when it comes to recruitment This is not meant to be overly critical of the chairman, he is new to football, and he is certainly well intentioned To protect his interests though, he needs to be a bit more savvy, and sort out a proper plan going forward

Perhaps the appointment of the new CEO is the first part of that. 

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

The out of contract players need to leave this summer.

Kean

Loovens

Pudil

Wallace

Nuhiu

I know the cult of Dave wont agree but he needs replacing with a young pacey option.

Pudil depends on what team shape JL has in mind for next year, if we continue with 3 5 2 then maybe another year ?

Add Butterfield back to Derby and, if we are serious about improving then Palmer, Fox ,Jones  need to be added to that list and moved on if possible.

Providing we get takers for the ones under contract that is nine players, plus maybe a couple of more high profile departures to raise funds (take your pick) then these need to be replaced CAREFULLY with a structure in mind by around 5 new signings that address the weaknesses we have.

I (hopefully) get the impression DC has learnt his lesson with overpriced, overaged players and expect us to earmark potential, mainly from the european and loan markets.

Totally agree with this. I feel that certain of our players will only be moved on when contracts are up due to the seriously high wages they're on. Consequently those out of contract should be released to enable Jos to free up places and wages for the next transfer window. It is to be hoped that with his signings we get much, much better value than with CC's recruits. Joey's signing seems to suggest we will and that we are in for a different type of player. There will be loads of players out of contract in the summer and most agree it provides much better value when splashing any cash.

• Like 1

Hallelujah! I can't remember a transfer window where I've actually been happy with the minimal business we've done before.

The upside is we haven't splashed the cash. And that cash can help towards our summer push.

We have a CEO in place now - and hopefully we'll be better at being off the starting blocks with signing players over summer, getting new shirts on time.

And hopefully, we can try to start the season well.

Lots of hope in there...

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think the one mistake Chansiri made was in getting too close to Doyen.

He had, and still has, good intentions. He was honest about his limited knowledge. But he sought advice from the wrong lot, and I think that has driven much of our transfer policy, including the non-activity (delay in getting centre backs, pace: no Doyen clients available?). Hopefully he is clearing up the mess they left us and has better advisors now, whoever they are.

8 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Hallelujah! I can't remember a transfer window where I've actually been happy with the minimal business we've done before.

The upside is we haven't splashed the cash. And that cash can help towards our summer push.

We have a CEO in place now - and hopefully we'll be better at being off the starting blocks with signing players over summer, getting new shirts on time.

And hopefully, we can try to start the season well.

Lots of hope in there...

If you're hoping to have next season's shirts available at the start of close season, or even for the last home match, then the process to deliver should have been well under way before she was appointed.

I hope, to be fair to her, that any timescale issues do not get her unwarranted criticism.

39 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It is pretty obvious what has happened.

Whe he took over he knew nothing about running a club and decided a relationship with Doyen was the way forward. 

They had advisors close to him all the time , provided a coach and no doubt worked closely with that coach on recruitment. 

Carlos was our coach but also had a responsibility to Doyen to deliver their big bonus by getting us to the Premier League.

Recruitment was short term focused with an assumption that the long term expensive contracts would not be a problem with Premier League cash.

That project has failed.

Doyen and their coach have gone.

We are in recovery mode with a manager who is willing to work on a shoestring to stabilise us on the pitch and a CEO who will carefully manage all contract aspects from now on with the main objective of avoiding FFP sanctions.

It is no good moaning about it though. Chansiri was naive but at least he appears to have retained his interest and commitment.

Edited by oldishowl

16 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I think the one mistake Chansiri made was in getting too close to Doyen.

He had, and still has, good intentions. He was honest about his limited knowledge. But he sought advice from the wrong lot, and I think that has driven much of our transfer policy, including the non-activity (delay in getting centre backs, pace: no Doyen clients available?). Hopefully he is clearing up the mess they left us and has better advisors now, whoever they are.

I absolutely agree with you that the sooner the stink of Doyen is entirely gone the better. However I’m not sure who exactly has advised us on each flop we’ve signed.

Without wishing to get off topic and argue the individual merits or circumstances of specific players, take a couple of examples who attract a lot of criticism, Abdi and Rhodes. Right at the top end of the cost scale. Who advised us to buy them ? If not Doyen then those advisers are probably still around. 

It it would be interesting to know how many Doyen influenced players we actually have, my concern is that we have made a lot of other poor signings without their help and that situation cannot be allowed to continue.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

there's a surprise it's all Rhodes fault

you could also spin it with Abdi 4M hardly played, Joao 2m hardly played and even loaned out last season, Matias 2m hardly played, Mcgugan frozen out on high wages,I could go on. There is over 8m on that lot alone that have hardly ever given us 3 games on the trot

Edited by yeadonowl

6 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Barry Fry says P'borough were in touch with Wednesday before the window closed.

Obviously nothing transpired but wonder who it was about and if incoming or outgoing?

Probably after some of our youth on loan and we said sorry but we won’t be doing diddly squat on deadline day so we need them here :biggrin:

8 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Obviously nothing transpired but wonder who it was about and if incoming or outgoing?

Obviously pure speculation but Sean Clare fits the Peterborough profile perfectly. When they go for young players it's usually those that are 6ft+ with high energy levels. Wouldn't surprise me if Barry was trying to arrange a loan deal. 

Interestingly our recruitment, Doyen influenced or not always seemed to centre around certain clubs

Watford (McGugan, Forrestieri, Pudil and Abdi)

Crystal Palace (Hunt and Bannan)

Middlesborough (Reach and Rhodes)

Burnley (Wallace, Jones and Boyd)

Nacional (Joao and Matias)

Sunderland (Fletcher and Buckley)

Apart from Boyd I don’t believe we’ve signed anyone from those clubs this season which may suggest our transfer strategy is changing?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

7 hours ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Could have been Matt Penney. He went to Mansfield but apparently at least another two clubs were in for him too.