Wednesday 3 Arsenal 0

I tried to get those positive vibes back from Carlos' first season.

watch the extended highlights from that great FA cup night vs Arsenal.

It made me feel better for a while until I started to think about how different we played. Helan and Joao were pacey and a real threat. Do we miss that dimension now? Just that different trick the opposition needs to think about.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Havin-a-hoot said:

look at the movement off the ball during the match, the runs up the wing and at opposition, the space we make for ourselves... 

We did that all season.  I remember the first time I saw Hunt and Wallace playing together (against St.Mirren) I was really quite excited and we lit up the league with our style of play.

I wish we would attack teams like we did in Carlos' first season. Ironically we've now got better attackers than we did back then but now we play much slower and ultra defensive, which completely nullifies our talented strikers. Our strikers get no service at all, unlike in that first season when we put through balls into the box, crosses and midfielders weren't so deep and got into the box.

Also, I can't wait until we ditch the ugly tacky non striped home shirts and return to a beautiful classy traditional striped Wednesday home shirt. Things just don't seem right lately with the kits, recruitment and the slow negative football. But matches like that Cup game from Carlos' first season and many others that season, and just the Norwich game last season, show that we can attack teams and get crossed into the box and provide service for our strikers, so why don't we do it more often?

Guest wilyfox

A bit of pace from Joao and Helan. Bannan, Wallace, and Pudil actually putting quality into the box... Could use some of those things now really. 

11 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Look at the set up that night.

433/451 with Joao as central striker. 

Swap Helan for FF and that's our best team imo.

Tammy Abraham in for Joao and I think that style and system would have been enough to see us up. That rangy pacy striker but who can hold it up aswell.

Our strikers now are all of a great quality. But probably not particulary ticking that box of being able to play up their alone.

Shame really.

But I'll never lose a chance to plug my season review about the very subject!

Snootys Season Review

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Tammy Abraham in for Joao and I think that style and system would have been enough to see us up. That rangy pacy striker but who can hold it up aswell.

Our strikers now are all of a great quality. But probably not particulary ticking that box of being able to play up their alone.

Shame really.

But I'll never lose a chance to plug my season review about the very subject!

Snootys Season Review

The annoying thing is spending millions since and never buying that upgrade on Joao. Then persisting with 442 when it's so clearly against everything Carlos has ever believed in terms of how to set a team up.

Infuriating.

24 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Look at the set up that night.

433/451 with Joao as central striker. 

Swap Helan for FF and that's our best team imo.

Get players in the box and you get goals, it's not rocket science for Carlos.

How often do we attack now and there's only two strikers in the penalty area? 2 v 4

Leeds and Fulham commit the men forward, they aren't as good as our players but they get the goals through numbers.

5-6 players in the box when Leeds scored their goals. That means if they break fast enough they've got 6 v 4 in the penalty area. Time, space, numbers = goals.

Its a shame that after all the money spent that that team would beat our current side. Some of it is things we cant control wallace and particularly pudil were half a yard quicker then, helan retired. But the frustrating thing is the problems of our own making joao is a better at leading the line or as lone front man than rhodes he can hold the ball up, run in behind and has more ability to create a chance for himself. We wasted more money by signing reach who cost 5 million quid and is an inferior player to helan (who was certainly no world beater)

Also the variation of tactics are missed, hutch anchoring midfield with bannan and lee playing either side and higher up the pitch is a good balanced midfield particularly in the tougher games and away from home. It would also suit a player like abdi if lee or bannan were not performing or matias if ff or wallace were not performing.  The decision to completely disregard a formation like this to consistantly play with a slow one paced 442 is very odd particularly as it seemed to be carlos' preferred way of playing when he arrived.

Building on this team should have been so much easier, a similar player to helan with pace but more end product, a similar striker to joao but with more end product backup/competition for hutch and we'd have been automatic contenders last season. Its odd that nearly every fan could see it but whoever is in charge of recruitment at hillsborough couldnt. The amount of slow unskillfull players we've recruited is so odd and consistent it must have been policy.

Even now despite our poor recruitment, away from home a team like this would be better

westwood

hunt   lees   loovens  reach

hutch

lee/abdi     bannan

wallace                             ff

fletch/joao

• Like 1