Quality of pre-season opposition.

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

Are we really saying that it's pure coincidence that when we have 'soft' preseasons we have slow starts?

Yes. 100%.  You are putting far too much stock into the opposition we are facing.  As many people have mentioned, it is just a run out at the start of the season. I've spoken to professional footballers and semipros alike about this and they all agree the preseason is simply to get the legs going.  You just need a team in front of you to enable you to play.

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

The last season we had a good start was 2014/15 under Gray:

York (League Two)

Bury (League Two)
Arsenal Tula (Slovenian Premier)

Doncaster (League One)

Newcastle (Premier League)

Barnsley (just relegated from Championship)

Where did we finish that season? 

Edited by ramone

21 hours ago, LoOkOut said:

Playing anyone in pre season means nothing ...its a work out, no one really cares about the score it's all about players easing back and hopefully not taking a knock .

im always being reminded that weve never won at the keepmoat, so the rovers games a bloody cup final for me lol

4 minutes ago, 1963owl said:

im always being reminded that weve never won at the keepmoat, so the rovers games a bloody cup final for me lol

Is that true? They're my local team so really want to beat them. It's the only pre-season match I can go to. They drew 1-1 with Derby last night. Won't be easy. 

I still remember the summer we were in league 1 I think under Turner, and we beat champions league Newcastle 4-3. And I thought it meant we were going to smash the league. But Sir Bobby said in the post match interview that you get weird results in friendlies and they don't matter. Sadly the great man knew more about football than I did / do / will do 

1 minute ago, Owl 44 said:

Is that true? They're my local team so really want to beat them. It's the only pre-season match I can go to. They drew 1-1 with Derby last night. Won't be easy. 

yes, most of my inlaws are rovers s/t holders. Its a must win game lol

14 hours ago, cookeh said:

And when we have another slow start we'll all stand around wondering why and saying no one could have seen it coming.

The two seasons:
2015: Alfreton, Ilkeston, York City, Braga, Scunthorpe, St Mirren.

One decent team (but not British style) in Braga, surrounded by dross.

2016: Alfreton, Chesterfield, Benfica, CD Nacional, Port Vale.

One decent team (but not British style) in Benfica, surrounded by dross.

This season it's pretty much all dross.

The last season we had a good start was 2014/15 under Gray:

York (League Two)

Bury (League Two)
Arsenal Tula (Slovenian Premier)

Doncaster (League One)

Newcastle (Premier League)

Barnsley (just relegated from Championship)

Are we really saying that it's pure coincidence that when we have 'soft' preseasons we have slow starts?

I seem to remember one pre season back in the day when we slaughtered every team we played. I think we got relegated that season ...................WTF:

I agree with the original poster, we need different opposition to truly prepare ourselves for the start of this season. I would have suggested the following preseason schedule for 17/18:

Preston (A)
Chesterfield (H)
QPR (H)
Sunderland (H)
Fulham (A)
Burton (A)

It is easy to say when you lose a friendly that it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't in many ways. There are a lot other things that are more important.

However, winning is so much better! Gives confidence and develops that 'winning habit'

10 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I seem to remember one pre season back in the day when we slaughtered every team we played. I think we got relegated that season ...................WTF:

I think you've missed the point I've beenmaking the whole thread long. ;)

21 hours ago, ramone said:

Where did we finish that season? 

That's missing the point entirely. Preseason is to get up to speed for the start of the season. That we finished the season higher in Carlos' first season with a massively improved squad is hardly a surprise.

The fact remains we've had 2 very similar preseasons under Carlos and 2 very slow starts: 6 points from 21 and 5 from 15.

This is the 3rd preseason and bears a strong resemblance to the previous 2.

That we had better starts with a weaker squad after playing more competitive teams.. certainly seems like correlation if not causation.

We'll see how we start this season, but a bit part of me is currently expecting to end August with around 6 points.

That's a reasonable point.. I guess its how big we think our club is and where we're going in the future do we want to go back to being an up and down club or actually contend.

These kind of tournaments are arranged at The Emirate's Old Trafford etc and seeing as we have Ranger's visiting why not throw a Minor euro team in the mix plus another local team and make it an annual event.

Think out of the box and build our reputation as the big club we are the pitch gets damaged in the colder months not July.

Not too bothered about preseason, it's the real thing that counts and we have a tough start. Mind you, there are no easy games in this league. It's probably the best league in the UK, at least it's not as predictable as the premiership